Retirement? Virginia or Maryland

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:59 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Retirement? Virginia or Maryland

My parents are looking to move down to the area, so I'm doing some research but want to narrow down what's the best state to retire in financially from a taxation perspective. Is it Virginia or Maryland? TIA....

Old 07-24-2011, 01:00 PM
imolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of light
why wouldn't you consider delaware if you are interested in that area? delaware is the best state for taxes, period.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:10 PM
RINGSROC has much to be proud ofRINGSROC has much to be proud ofRINGSROC has much to be proud ofRINGSROC has much to be proud ofRINGSROC has much to be proud ofRINGSROC has much to be proud ofRINGSROC has much to be proud ofRINGSROC has much to be proud ofRINGSROC has much to be proud of
Delaware for sure!!
Maryland next.
Virginia LAST!

Old 07-24-2011, 02:11 PM
X-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of light
Virginia born and raised, current Md resident. I say VA without any reservation. I hate Maryland but unfortunately by job is here.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Scott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant future
Lewes, DE is a beautiful place for retirement. Only 2.5 hours from the beltway.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:58 PM
SLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to behold
My parents are retiring to delaware later this year - I was MD born and raised

Old 07-24-2011, 11:29 PM
WeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really nice
Maryland is for communists, Virginia is for fascists, Delaware leads the race to the bottom for corporate special interests…. Take your pick.
Move to Switzerland… if they’ll take you. The whole of America is on the way down the shi-ter in a quick way anyway.
Seriously, MD vs. VA from a general taxation perspective, all in all VA is way better. Now if you have a Veyron and your annual personal prop. Tax on your toy is some $75k it might be hard to believe, but all in all VA is better (and anyone financially sophisticated enough to have a car like that will have it tagged in FL or Wyoming anyway) LOL.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:44 AM
imolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by WeisachWilli
Maryland is for communists, Virginia is for fascists, Delaware leads the race to the bottom for corporate special interests…. Take your pick.
Move to Switzerland… if they’ll take you. The whole of America is on the way down the shi-ter in a quick way anyway.
Seriously, MD vs. VA from a general taxation perspective, all in all VA is way better. Now if you have a Veyron and your annual personal prop. Tax on your toy is some $75k it might be hard to believe, but all in all VA is better (and anyone financially sophisticated enough to have a car like that will have it tagged in FL or Wyoming anyway) LOL.
great answer. very helpful. would read again.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:06 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Guys, thanks for the GREAT feedback. Delaware might be a stretch (currently they are in NJ), so it's still a distance, but may be an option. And Scott, I'll mention LEWES to them. Otherwise, looks like the running is for VA.

Any suggestions for neighborhoods. I think what they're looking for is a great neighborhood that is walking distance to some restaurants, etc. For instance, like a Bethesda, Old Towne Alexandria......

TIA guys..... and +1 rep points to all parties.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:47 PM
pseto is infamous around these parts
+10 on Delaware. i have family members who live in bethany, not far from lewes, OC, rehoboth, etc.