Bad Virginia speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:15 AM
Fraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really nice
That's only 18 over but over 85mph. Traffic bs here is all for cash collection, everyone knows it. Usually if you pay in things work themselves out. I had a 73 in a 55, same deal, classic TRAP. Quick $183 and it was done.

The auto-reckless bull**** requires a lawyer. Pay in and work a deal.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Anything over 82 mph is reckless in VA no matter the speed limit. Get an attorney. You have to much to lose.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:23 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
did he actually wrote reckless driving ticket or just XXmph over speed limit? i got a speeding ticket over 20mph (not reckless) instead of reckless.

currently have a clean driving record and i live in VA. if you were going 90 or 95+ with a clean record, chances of going to jail is quite slim based on several lawyers i've talked to (in different counties). if you actually got a reckless driving ticket, i would get a lawyer (not taking ANY chances).

i am curious to find out what ticket you got and how fast you were going. gl.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:42 PM
boom is infamous around these parts
A really good friend of mine got a reckless on 66 in Arlington Co. He passed a slow group of cars on the right in is e55 AMG only to find out the slow grouping was bc a it included a cop. He got tagged for a 78 in a 55 with a reckless. He went to court dressed nice and tried to strike a plea with the DA. The cop was there and basically threw my friend under the bus making all sorts of wild ridiculous accusations. My friend is mid 40s and mild mannered. It was complete bull****.
Realizing the plea wasn't happening he asked for a continuance and it was granted. He did a lot of research and talked to the court clerks, etc. and went back and was granted a suspended sentence and required to take a safety course.
The course was taught by an ex Arlington Co cop. Some interesting facts: Arlington Co wrote 12,000 reckless driving tickets in 2010 - the county alone. A reckless is a class A misdemeanor and will kill your clearance. Arlington Co has a strict no warning policy and 20 over is an automatic reckless driving.
For me that would be my job. I have a Bel STI driver that I swear by. Completely undetectable. I believe the reckless charge is cruel and unusual punishment for speeding and is therefore unconstitutional so I have a contraband radar detector to protect my speeding habit. Not saying it's right but if you're driving 55 on the beltway you're a menace and likely to be killed.
You either have money or time. If you have money, lawyer up. If not, you're going to have to spend time researching your options and knowing the system completely to have a chance. It can be done.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Fraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really nice
Its all about the cash cash cash.

Pay in, lawyers, anything, just go for the gold. I know more about that than most, just not in this particular context.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:24 PM
thomashpsn is infamous around these parts
Best I can describe my situation would be a "situational awareness failure." Wife and I were kid free...doesn't happen very often. Nice weather and about a mile of three lane open road...except for the officer coming in the other direction. Getting on the gas was a secondary thought, didn't even hit me until I realized I was the only one on the road. When I saw the officer, I immediately slowed down. All I saw of the speedometer was it dropping below 60mph (this was a few seconds of "listen to that exhaust" moment, not a "let's see what she'll do"). Saw him do an offroad u-turn across the median and told my wife "oh damn." Got into the inside left turn lane and waited for him at the light. He pulled behind me, got out, asked me to get out, and cuffed me on the spot. When he told me what he clocked me at, I almost needed a change of shorts. Ended up driving away with the reckless driving ticket in hand. If I had to guess, the only things that kept me out of the back of his car was my driving record and my attitude. Officer was under the circumstances friendly and fair. For the time being, I have a clean record...I can only hope I don't get made an example of for a one time mistake.

When this mess has sorted itself out, I'll be more comfortable about the details. Until then, keep it safe out there.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Good luck mate. Speed should never be a misdimeanor or "crime"!!! After all, it's the stop that hurts.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:12 AM
airbrush1 has a spectacular aura aboutairbrush1 has a spectacular aura about
Acceleration never killed anyone.... It's the instant decel that does ya in...

So glad I don't live in Va, to think that for someone with an otherwise clean record, a speeding ticket could mean jail time, loss of clearances, and a CRIMINAL record... Flabbergasts me!!!

Best of luck to you!

Old 01-07-2012, 09:53 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Get a lawyer!! Reckless is no joke!!

Old 01-07-2012, 09:54 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
WAIT!!! Told you to get out then CUFFED you on the spot. Seriously, WTF is going on these days???? Was this Richmond, State Trooper, Local, etc etc????

Old 01-07-2012, 08:03 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fraggle
Its all about the cash cash cash. Pay in, lawyers, anything, just go for the gold. I know more about that than most, just not in this particular context.
It's not about the cash. Do you want someone driving 90+ mph around your wife, daughter, children or .??? There's a time and place for us to drive like that and on the public streets, if you get caught, you have to just shut up and take it like you have a pair.

He's lucky his car wasn't impounded and his license revoked on the spot - which can be done anytime you're caught driving 25 or more over the posted speed limit.

Go to your court date and you will sit down with a Commonwealth's Attorney before trial to talk about your Plea options. If you can (likely yes) get plead to careless, racing on the highway or some lesser charge, then pay your fine and learn from it. If not, enter a not-guilty plea, set it for trial 30 days in the future (that's how it works) and return with an attorney. Simple but it will cost you either way. The lower you can get the ticket reduced, the less of the shaft your insurance agent will insert into your wallet.

And yes, I was a cop before I became an actor. I do in fact know the system around the beltway. I don't remember him saying it was Fairfax County (where they don't play) or Prince William or another county, or the State Police. Regardless, he'll have his driving history, age, family and other "good" profile elements in his favor. Just follow the above advice and breathe. And, of course, slow down a bit.

Last edited by denversteve; 01-07-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm just South of Richmond. Ticket was given by county police officer. Cuffs were temporary, only until he ran my driving record and decided not to arrest me. If this were on a highway, it might be a different story. Denversteve, you are correct...both in "time and place" as well as the speed. In the span of a few seconds, I lost track of my speed and was clocked 70mph over the posted speed limit. Actions have consequences...in Virginia athey are more severe than other places. Hopefully with the help of my lawyer, the "good" profile elements will be take into consideration.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:21 AM
WeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really nice
Originally Posted by thomashpsn
I'm just South of Richmond. Ticket was given by county police officer. Cuffs were temporary, only until he ran my driving record and decided not to arrest me. If this were on a highway, it might be a different story. Denversteve, you are correct...both in "time and place" as well as the speed. In the span of a few seconds, I lost track of my speed and was clocked 70mph over the posted speed limit. Actions have consequences...in Virginia athey are more severe than other places. Hopefully with the help of my lawyer, the "good" profile elements will be take into consideration.

Is that a typo..... "70 mph over posted limit"!? Daaamn! I saw before you wrote open stretch on 3 lane rd. which i'd guess was 55-65 limit? Were you going like 125-135 mph? I bet you did need a diaper!

If thats the case I'd go for severe mechanical failure excuse... like accelerator totally jammed and a friend unknowingly slipped a meth injection kit in your car. LOL

Seriously if that is the case I'd prob. hedge for an outcome that prevented going in front of judge in front of a room full of other traffic defendants. I can't imagine they wouldn't want to make an example of that in front of a room full of others... esp. in VA. Hopefully lawyer will steer it all correctly.

Funny thing is it is sooo easy to get going that fast sooo quickly in sooo many cars today.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by WeisachWilli
Is that a typo..... "70 mph over posted limit"!? Daaamn! I saw before you wrote open stretch on 3 lane rd. which i'd guess was 55-65 limit? Were you going like 125-135 mph? I bet you did need a diaper!

If thats the case I'd go for severe mechanical failure excuse... like accelerator totally jammed and a friend unknowingly slipped a meth injection kit in your car. LOL

Seriously if that is the case I'd prob. hedge for an outcome that prevented going in front of judge in front of a room full of other traffic defendants. I can't imagine they wouldn't want to make an example of that in front of a room full of others... esp. in VA. Hopefully lawyer will steer it all correctly.

Funny thing is it is sooo easy to get going that fast sooo quickly in sooo many cars today.
It's actually a 45mph zone likely because it's between two busier areas. Had there been anyone in front of me, I wouldn't have done it. Shoot, nobody but the unmarked police car coming from the other direction for that matter.

Green is where things were mellow and the wife and I were talking about where we were going to eat. Red is the extent my brainfart. Blue is Mr. Police Officer and his offroad u-turn. And the circles are where I ended up stopping with him eventually behind me.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:54 PM
casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice
wow. i'm really sorry to hear about your mishap. i thought the speeding laws were only that strict in nova...whenever i go down to visit family/friends i drive 5 miles an hour over the speed limit no matter what. i hope everything works out for you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad Virginia speeding ticket