Bad Virginia speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 03:57 PM
thomashpsn is infamous around these parts
Unhappy Bad Virginia speeding ticket

Wife and I took the Turbo out today for a few errands. Mistakenly went WAY too fast. I've never had a serious (reckless driving) ticket in Virginia and am curious what experiences anyone may have had under similar circumstances.

Last edited by thomashpsn; 01-01-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:33 AM
Lead Foot Cobra is infamous around these partsLead Foot Cobra is infamous around these parts
Depending the way the Cop wrote the ticket, Virginia has too many ways to write off a Reckless Driving scenario.... I suggest you lawyer up. The minimum charge is a a Class 1 Misdemeanor Criminal Offense, and a nice permanent criminal record tied to your name if you're convicted. If you have security clearences, those may be in trouble.

I had a reckless driving way back when they changed the severity of the charge, and I had to pay a pretty penny to get it reduced to just a improper moving violation.

(Add-On) --- Forgot to mention as well, that you will be royally reamed with fines and fees if convicted. Virginia does not F around when it comes to speeding, especially Reckless, at least in the FFX part of VA. Not so sure how Richmond treats the charge, but I wouldn't risk it IMO.

Last edited by Lead Foot Cobra; 01-02-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:59 AM
speedphreek is a jewel in the roughspeedphreek is a jewel in the roughspeedphreek is a jewel in the rough
I got clocked at 90 on the interstate while driving to FL deemed reckless driving by speed. I live in FL so I paid the ticket and never had any other consequences. My license has a safe driver stamp

Old 01-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Nico Suave is infamous around these parts
To hell with a lawyer, it's a speeding ticket not a manslaughter charge. Challenge it in court, show up with a recent copy of your driving record (hopefully it's clean) in a nice suit at least 45 minutes early to your court time. Seek out the DA who has your case and request a plea bargain. In your most gentlemanly tone explain the circumstances and request leniency from the court for a lesser charge. You won't get it dismissed unless the issuing officer doesn't show up, then the charges would be dropped. The only catch is your taking a chance by going before the judge hoping the cop doesn't show by the time the judge sees your case. If you do decide to go before the judge you can basically again ask for leniency in consideration of a (presumably) good driving record and see what happens. If the judge gives you the shaft you appeal and repeat the DA approach, this time hoping for better circumstances.

After all that, worst case is you get tagged with the full charge. A lawyer will do nothing more than what I just told you to do. The only benefit a lawyer presents is a potential good relationship with the DA, in which case the DA would do your lawyer a favor by reducing the charge for his/her client (you).

Last edited by Nico Suave; 01-02-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:58 AM
sempaipaul is infamous around these parts
Delay your court date for as long as you can, this will lessen the chance the officer will show.

Good luck
Paul

Old 01-02-2012, 09:34 AM
WeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really nice
Best advice.... MOVE!!! Far far away!! LOL. But really not funny situation.

Luckily I only know the VA horror stories second hand.... but I do know some bad ones. Rarely do I hear that it doesn't turn out badly, usually very badly. I know for sure in MD the appeal any bad outcome in district crt. to circuit crt. thing can definitely work. Has for me multiple times. Reckless or bad speeding in district crt. you're like the worst person ever walked face of the earth, in circuit crt. a lot of defendant's in same session will be brought in - in handcuffs.... like real criminals and you're just a derelict driver.

But I would not underestimate the potential of the right lawyer knowing the right person in DA’s office extracting a favorable outcome… it’s all a big flim-flam money scam. I know in my area of MD (which isn’t bumf-ck Hazard Co. either) there are couple ex-cop defense atty.s who you can basically buy favorable outcomes from.

Preemptively take online driver ed. / improvement courses. That can help. Anything to kiss a-s.

Good luck!!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Lead Foot Cobra is infamous around these partsLead Foot Cobra is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Nico Suave
To hell with a lawyer, it's a speeding ticket not a manslaughter charge. Challenge it in court, show up with a recent copy of your driving record (hopefully it's clean) in a nice suit at least 45 minutes early to your court time. Seek out the DA who has your case and request a plea bargain. In your most gentlemanly tone explain the circumstances and request leniency from the court for a lesser charge. You won't get it dismissed unless the issuing officer doesn't show up, then the charges would be dropped. The only catch is your taking a chance by going before the judge hoping the cop doesn't show by the time the judge sees your case. If you do decide to go before the judge you can basically again ask for leniency in consideration of a (presumably) good driving record and see what happens. If the judge gives you the shaft you appeal and repeat the DA approach, this time hoping for better circumstances.

After all that, worst case is you get tagged with the full charge. A lawyer will do nothing more than what I just told you to do. The only benefit a lawyer presents is a potential good relationship with the DA, in which case the DA would do your lawyer a favor by reducing the charge for his/her client (you).
I would agree with you Nico, except that's how the good ol' Common Wealth of VA works. Back before i got my license it was a slap on the wrist and a fine, but then when some wild wombat got shoved up the law makers ****, they decided that it should be a criminal offense. I've had 3 friend's get the royal shaft in a bad way with just Reckless Driving. Sure it's EXCESSIVE speeding, but down in Fairfax County, they see it as a means to severely punish your ****.

Now I don't know how Richmond's court systems work, so going with Nico's suggestion could be a possibility. I'm just stating my personal experience along with what I have seen first hand what having that conviction can do to you, no offense to you Nico if I did.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Lt. Dan is infamous around these parts
Get a lawyer. In Virginia, a reckless driving ticket can carry jail time and loss of license.... Do NOT try to fight it yourself!!!

Old 01-02-2012, 12:01 PM
thomashpsn is infamous around these parts
Wish my first interaction with the board wasn't about this situation. Googling it any more can only lead to an ulcer. As an almost 40 year old husband and father of four, the idea of jail (something I've never seen) and a criminal record sucks. Here is to hoping for a break and not be made and example of.

Hopefully this can serve as a reminder to you guys/gals not only about speeding, but (especially in my case) situational awareness. Had I been paying more attention to my speed and not the open road, I wouldn't be in this boat.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Nico Suave is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Lead Foot Cobra
I would agree with you Nico, except that's how the good ol' Common Wealth of VA works. Back before i got my license it was a slap on the wrist and a fine, but then when some wild wombat got shoved up the law makers ****, they decided that it should be a criminal offense. I've had 3 friend's get the royal shaft in a bad way with just Reckless Driving. Sure it's EXCESSIVE speeding, but down in Fairfax County, they see it as a means to severely punish your ****.

Now I don't know how Richmond's court systems work, so going with Nico's suggestion could be a possibility. I'm just stating my personal experience along with what I have seen first hand what having that conviction can do to you, no offense to you Nico if I did.
My wreckless driving WAS in Fairfax county... performed the above given steps and in my case the cop didn't show = dropped.

If you have the money to burn and feel better about it, get a lawyer. I personally would try my luck with the DA first, and if it doesn't work you can always get a lawyer for the appeal in my opinion.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:40 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
My wreckless driving WAS in Fairfax county... performed the above given steps and in my case the cop didn't show = dropped.

If you have the money to burn and feel better about it, get a lawyer. I personally would try my luck with the DA first, and if it doesn't work you can always get a lawyer for the appeal in my opinion.
Wow, you got lucky... If you read some of the posts on Fchat there are guys who got pulled for ~90 in FFX in cars like F430s after spending god only knows how much on attorneys *STILL* had to do a couple days in jail over weekends for a month or so.

It really is a case of punishment not fitting the crime. AT ALL.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:43 PM

Hell, I wish my cop didn't show. You got the best outcome with that cop not showing. I guess it's just luck of the draw and know how of what to do. In my case I was 18, and didn't know jack squat, so I chucked it up to my lawyer and put it behind me.

Well which ever one you choose thomashpsn, Good Luck. Let us know the outcome if you want.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Jake's Oy is infamous around these partsJake's Oy is infamous around these parts
Is the fine different or have different penalties if you not a VA resident? I remember they had some absolutely crazy fines at some point it was worse if you where a VA resident. I believe a lot of them got toned down, but now I don't know the specifics.

I'm in VA a decent amount so it would be helpful to know

Couple years a go I was going to Dulles airport and I was pulled over within a mile of the airport parking lot. Apparently I was doing 60ish on a 30 mph off ramp in my mini. The officer basically said dude, I need you to give me a really good reason for your high rate of speed; double the speed limit; you are going to be in a world of hurt. My passenger and I both blurt out at the same time that zomg its our birthday and we are running late to catch our plane to new york!!! He looks at my license and goes well thats not a very good reason. Slow down and happy birthday and left. /sigh of relief.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Jake's Oy
Is the fine different or have different penalties if you not a VA resident? I remember they had some absolutely crazy fines at some point it was worse if you where a VA resident. I believe a lot of them got toned down, but now I don't know the specifics.

I'm in VA a decent amount so it would be helpful to know

Couple years a go I was going to Dulles airport and I was pulled over within a mile of the airport parking lot. Apparently I was doing 60ish on a 30 mph off ramp in my mini. The officer basically said dude, I need you to give me a really good reason for your high rate of speed; double the speed limit; you are going to be in a world of hurt. My passenger and I both blurt out at the same time that zomg its our birthday and we are running late to catch our plane to new york!!! He looks at my license and goes well thats not a very good reason. Slow down and happy birthday and left. /sigh of relief.

It's still a high amount, but yes they were pretty much in the range of lala land at one point. When I got my charge back then, it was at that time when those outrageous fees were in effect.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Spieldawg is infamous around these parts
I too have the same problem as you Thomas, mine happened in early November, I was clocked going 88 in a 70 on route 77...

I live in Ohio and was heading to Charleston for a military school, and I was going down hill around a truck... and he tagged me. I had no idea that the consequences were so serious either, and I understand about googling... the results made me sick. I too haven't had much trouble with the law ever, I believe I only ever had 1 speeding ticket in my life.. which I just paid and went on with life.

I called the county courthouse, and they were actually all pretty friendly and I tried to explain my situation to them but they don't really have any control. So I called around to find a laywer, and he said he would get it reduced to improper driving. My court case is in 2 days, so I'll let you know how it goes.

The area he got me in, is a really steep downgrade on a blind corner. They just won't listen to you at all. The biggest thing was the cop was like just send in this green piece of paper with your ticket, and it will just be taken care of.... it wasn't until I got to charleston that I realized how bad it was.. and I do have a security clearance... and a government job.... so I am still kinda sweating this one out.

--Scott

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad Virginia speeding ticket