Need Wheel Lock Key Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Tonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud of
Need Wheel Lock Key Replacement

I've searched everywhere I can think of in my car and I can't find the wheel lock key. I don't necessarily need it at the moment, but I would eventually like to take my wheels off to give them a thorough cleaning. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I can get a replacement?

Should I take it to a local performance shop (AtSpeed, Forced Induktion, etc?) to get them to take a look at it? Or would any tire replacement shop (Mr. Tire, Goodyear, etc) be able to do that for me?

Old 03-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Fraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really niceFraggle is just really nice
I'll bet any tire shop has a method or the skills.

If I lost mine I'd be buying some normal lug nuts and get out the cold chisel.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Scott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant future
Any mechanic can tear these out for you. Some guys have the right lug setup to remove, but most likely not reuse. Just as you are thinking, call around. You should hit the jackpot somewhere. Or just yank em.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:36 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
They can be drilled or cut out like a stuck bolt or rivet.... If the shop doesn't have the key, a tire shop may be more likely to have wheel lock keys....probably like to call around.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:12 AM
airbrush1 has a spectacular aura aboutairbrush1 has a spectacular aura about
If they are BMW factory optional locks, then your best bet might be a BMW dealer... They should either have the right key, or be able to order you one

Old 03-30-2012, 07:47 AM
BOBP is infamous around these parts
Chris, did you check the tool kit in the trunk?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Tonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud ofTonk has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BOBP
Chris, did you check the tool kit in the trunk?
Yup! I literally checked every nook & cranny in the car. Glove box, center console, under the seats, trunk, tool kit, "spare tire well" (in quotes because there's no spare tire), and the storage compartments in the trunk.

Maybe I'll talk to someone at Agile Auto while we're there tomorrow.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:40 PM
RINGSROC has much to be proud ofRINGSROC has much to be proud ofRINGSROC has much to be proud ofRINGSROC has much to be proud ofRINGSROC has much to be proud ofRINGSROC has much to be proud ofRINGSROC has much to be proud ofRINGSROC has much to be proud ofRINGSROC has much to be proud of
Check with the guys in the service bays at BMW, Most mechanics tend to have a good collection of keys miraculously accumulated over time.
If BMW cant help find a key, Then you could find a shop that has this kit. Typically, we would replace all the locks with a new kit if you lost the key.

This is the kit that most shops would use last time I was a tire tech.

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Design-ATD-3060-Locking-Remover/dp/B000OUUGJG

You need an air gun to do it well. You find the right size smooth wall socket in the kit and spin it fast on the locking lug to get it hot. Then you pop it a few time with the BFH so it is on there good and let it cool. Then take the airgun and carefully apply torque until they break loose.

Last edited by RINGSROC; 04-04-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Scott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant future
May be a dumb question, but did you check the paperwork from when you bought it? There should be a small index card with the key code on it. This happened to me and Ford next day aired a key to me. I paid for a second so I could keep it in the garage for this exact reason.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:48 AM
I forgot to update this thread...I talked to Mr. Tire who I've gone to for about 10 years now on my previous cars. They said they won't have a selection of keys and they recommended going to a BMW dealership because most likely, they're BMW locks or aftermarket ones that BMW dealerships use.

Originally Posted by RINGSROC
Check with the guys in the service bays at BMW, Most mechanics tend to have a good collection of keys miraculously accumulated over time.
If BMW cant help find a key, Then you could find a shop that has this kit. Typically, we would replace all the locks with a new kit if you lost the key.
Good info, thanks.

Originally Posted by Scott in SS MD
May be a dumb question, but did you check the paperwork from when you bought it? There should be a small index card with the key code on it. This happened to me and Ford next day aired a key to me. I paid for a second so I could keep it in the garage for this exact reason.
I will check through the owners manual but I don't remember seeing anything like that when I first bought the car and looked through everything.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Estoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really niceEstoril is just really nice
Chris: I think the code numbers are double-digit for OEM BMW.

Last edited by Estoril; 04-12-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the help everyone! I ended up finding out what they are and ordered a replacement key.

Last edited by Tonk; 04-12-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:20 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ Tonk bro why did you announce this on a public forum, which type of key, and the number? .... are you looking to file an insutrance claim at some point for a group buy on fikses...LOL

Old 04-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by sunir
^^^ Tonk bro why did you announce this on a public forum, which type of key, and the number? .... are you looking to file an insutrance claim at some point for a group buy on fikses...LOL
Didn't even think of that. I edited my post. Thanks man.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Tonk
Didn't even think of that. I edited my post. Thanks man.
no problem bro...just lookin out for ya

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Wheel Lock Key Replacement