Small collision in parking lot - kind request for advice!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 06:11 PM
sempaipaul is infamous around these parts
Small collision in parking lot - kind request for advice!

Hi guys,

Today, just a few minutes ago, unfortunately I was involved in a very minor collision in a parking lot. Unfortunately, the gentleman in the other vehicle did not want to cooperate - just tended to yell in a thick Indian accent.

Anyhow, here is some information on what went down:

1. My mother and I get into our vehicle after getting a cup of Starbucks at Barnes and Noble (as can be seen)
2. There is some traffic going on in the parking lot, so I put my reverse lights on and scoot out just a few inches to let vehicles know I am backing out. I await as an another vehicle behind me pulls out as he was first (2) on the diagram. Also, I wait for the a large black suburban to pass (3) or to get into that parking spot.
3. As soon as (2) and (3) complete their moves, I start puling out slowly. At that time, the car approaching from the other side continues its movement. I brake, and still due to his movement a slight hit occurs in the middle of my bumper as I already had the vehicle maneuvered at an angle to steer out of the parking spot.

The man jumps out of the vehicle, yelling and arguing - not letting me state a word. I keep my calm, but ask for police to be called. He swiftly dials police, they tell him to just exchange information as this is so small of a collision. I myself strongly believed (and continue to believe) that this was not my fault, so I do ask for the police to come out, and to at least witness the accident. They got there, at least calmed him down. They told us to exchange information - which we both cooperated with.

Now, As I am home, I am questioning which insurance I should call. Should I call his insurance or my insurance? Also, I realized that by absolute accident I did not write down my insurance carrier for info for him - and only wrote down my policy #.

I of course do not want this to go to history of my vehicle as there is simply nothing there! there is a small scratch on my car which I feel as might of had actually been there before from getting things in and out of the trunk.

What do you guys believe would be the best way to approach this? shall I call my insurance or his?

Also, including a picture of my rear bumper (Cayenne), and his corner of bumper (Venza).

Thanks as always for all help!

-Paul

Last edited by sempaipaul; 07-14-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:09 PM
WeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really nice
My experience / knowledge = parking lot things usually end up classifed as no fault all the way around.

Considering you aren't pressed abt scratch on your vehicle I wouldn't do anything until / unless you heard from someone else.

Unless an insurance co. pays out to specifically fix your vehicle it shouldn't show up on your vehicle history report.

If your co. for some reason ends up paying out to him it will show up on your insurance record (I forget at this moment what they call it, some acronym deal, it is done by Choicepoint and other credit rating type co.s and is essentially a credit score that attaches to you as a driver / insured person). It isn't a big deal though esp. as a no fault type incident. I mean if you claim a cracked windshield it shows up on there, it is basically a screw-the-customer type of score that guages how expensive you are to insure (a lot of people sustain insured losses and never claim them). If that happens and your insr. co. ends up not liking it when time to renew just switch co.s. Auto insr. bus. is currently highly competitve and a competing co. will gladly overlook it to offer you better rate and gain your bus.

Prob. won't get there though.... should be no fault / parking lot type classification. Just don't let any co. pay out to fix your car and it won't be on your car history.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:15 PM
WeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really nice
Looks like that tow hitch gaffed his bumper and saved yours... LOL. Dumb MF-er. I had a Caynne looked just like that, same color, same hitch set-up, 2004 Turbo... you didn't buy that from Omar at Intersport in Tysons did you?

Old 07-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Nevermind... see sig says S..... good thing cuz I dogged my ride, had an offroad excursion trying to avoid deer at abt. 90 mph, bent up a steer tie rod and generally smacked the sh-t out of the suspension. But it it lined all up after replacing rod. Pretty bomb proof ride.... and fast. I flashed mine and did couple other sm. tweaks and it would spin all 4 wheels if floored from stop. At like 4.5k lb. weight!! LOL

Don't stress abt incident, its nothing.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:44 PM
bimmer32five is infamous around these parts
Was the man with the thick indian accent Sunir?

Old 07-15-2012, 08:52 AM
airbrush1 has a spectacular aura aboutairbrush1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by bimmer32five
Agahahahaha!

Old 07-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Willi - Thanks for the feedback. That is what I was thinking - not calling any insurance unless I get a call from them. However, I am also worried that if I don't call, the insurance (his or mine) will simply put the blame on me in this collision without asking for my 2 cents of input on what happened. Does anyone else feel I should wait? or should I call.

32five - that's a good one! haha

-Paul

Old 07-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Also, I was thinking of just calling the other parties insurance and just telling them the story as it happened to make sure I get my 2 cents in, and state that I have no damage on my car (which is how it really is)

Old 07-15-2012, 07:45 PM
GTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sempaipaul
Also, I was thinking of just calling the other parties insurance and just telling them the story as it happened to make sure I get my 2 cents in, and state that I have no damage on my car (which is how it really is)
This is a difficult situation because he is most likely going to call his insurance and tell them what happened as he thinks its not his fault. Since he has your info, his insurance will most likely call yours to file a claim. I would call your insurance ASAP and tell them, with as little as possible details about your car moving in the parking lot, that he hit you as you waited for other cars to move. If your insurance is the same company they will just blame you to get it settled fast but if they are different they are there to fight for you, thats if you have a good company. PM me and I'll give you some "insider" tips to dealing with insurance companies, grew up with my father working for a very large local company. Not sure who you have but they are suppose to fight for you "if" you are not in the wrong.

FYI - Do not contact the other persons insurance.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by GTLaser
This is a difficult situation because he is most likely going to call his insurance and tell them what happened as he thinks its not his fault. Since he has your info, his insurance will most likely call yours to file a claim. I would call your insurance ASAP and tell them, with as little as possible details about your car moving in the parking lot, that he hit you as you waited for other cars to move. If your insurance is the same company they will just blame you to get it settled fast but if they are different they are there to fight for you, thats if you have a good company. PM me and I'll give you some "insider" tips to dealing with insurance companies, grew up with my father working for a very large local company. Not sure who you have but they are suppose to fight for you "if" you are not in the wrong.

FYI - Do not contact the other persons insurance.
Thanks! this is great info.

you have a PM!

Thanks,
Paul

Old 07-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bimmer32five

(Was he yelling the following: "Did you kick my dog"?)

Old 07-16-2012, 08:12 AM
GTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by vntperformance

(Was he yelling the following: "Did you kick my dog"?)
"Your daughter come to my house today and she kicked my dog!"....

Old 07-16-2012, 09:21 AM
dailydriver is infamous around these parts
I personally would not call anyone if you are not planning to make a claim for your own damage. I don't think they can make a claim against your policy without getting your side of the story so unless you hear from someone it should not be a ding against you.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:31 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
from the picture, there appears to be a dent on the passenger side of the rear bumper. is that from this accident?

if there isn't any damage done, i would not bother calling the other insurance company. you can contact your insurance company but not file a claim since you have nothing to claim.

these types of fender bender is often hard to determine fault. however, he is behind you and should have stopped if he sees you backing outor the car is in the way. failing to do so is negliance on his part. his only defense if he stopped and you continue to back up and run into him. a little unlikely since he would have honked at you.

here is a question for those with insurance experience:
Your insurance company often take your deductible first until fault is determined between the insurance companies. Is there a way to not pay the deductible and still have your car fixed (if it were damaged)?

Old 07-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys!

Well I didn't call it in till this morning. I got a call from the other parties insurance (Allstate) who questioned me. I told them straight up what happened and how the other party was impossible to deal with. I drew a bit clearer version of the diagram I have above, and also told them that I have a diagram to send them. I sent them the diagram with the request that they confirm receipt of the email - the Allstate person did confirm.
I told them that my vehicle has absolutely no damage, and I have no request for any payment. I was really calm, and just told them how big of a jerk their customer is....

After this, I called my insurance - told them of the event and exactly what happened, told them that I have no damage, told them how hard to deal with the other party was. They said a claim rep will call in 2 days and I can give him the diagram.

We'll see what happens!

Thanks for all the help!

Djantlive - There is no dents, that is just the way light falls and reflects off the car parked next to me in the lot

Thanks again,

Paul

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Small collision in parking lot - kind request for advice!