Looking for a place to detail the GT3...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:35 AM
MistaVanquish is infamous around these parts
Question Looking for a place to detail the GT3...

All -

I will taking delivery of a 2010 911 GT3 this Saturday in Florida. I'll be flying down and driving it back. I live in Columbia, near the mall, in a condo community, and there is no car wash area. I was wondering if there are any Porsche owners in my area that wouldn't mind if I detailed my car at their house.

Here is the car: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...searchRadius=0

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2012, 12:06 PM
airbrush1 has a spectacular aura aboutairbrush1 has a spectacular aura about
I'm not near ya, and I don't have a garage, but damn that's a beautiful car congrats!

Old 08-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Zahjah has a spectacular aura aboutZahjah has a spectacular aura about
congats--the car is HAWT!!! safe ride back--enjoy!!

i'm a little far from columbia too, but pm me if you want my guy's number--

Old 08-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Love guards on the 3's. A month earlier you could have bought mine locally!

Old 08-15-2012, 09:09 PM
r_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MistaVanquish
All -

I will taking delivery of a 2010 911 GT3 this Saturday in Florida. I'll be flying down and driving it back. I live in Columbia, near the mall, in a condo community, and there is no car wash area. I was wondering if there are any Porsche owners in my area that wouldn't mind if I detailed my car at their house.

Here is the car: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...searchRadius=0

Thanks!
Im near the mall as well off columbia rd. my garage is kind of small but you're more than welcome to use what i have. I'm in miami this weekend but any other time is fine.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:19 PM
r_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud of
Also, thats one heck of a drive that ive done one too many times! I thought about doing the drive when i bought my turbo from West Palm but ended up doing a single trailer enclosed transport for around $850. May be something to consider with a $350ish one-way gas bill.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:24 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
OP awesome car ! Love the color!

^^^ Matt... Who did you use for 850 from Fl to md? Was it insured? Company or private hired smaller company?

Old 08-16-2012, 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by sunir
OP awesome car ! Love the color!

^^^ Matt... Who did you use for 850 from Fl to md? Was it insured? Company or private hired smaller company?
Hey Sunir- I used this guy Bruce from Applewood Motorcar. It's a small private insured company who uses their own fleet of trucks/trailers..they're NOT brokers. I know they do a lot of exotic transport here on the east coast, I highly recommend them. I was very pleased with their service.

http://www.applewoodmotorcar.com/index.php

Old 08-16-2012, 05:29 AM
GTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to behold
That's one fast color!!!! .... Why not do the Amtrak car train?

Old 08-16-2012, 07:20 AM
DaveWJunior is infamous around these parts
+1 on the AutoTrain idea. I did that when I picked up my 911 in Fort Lauderdale. Comfy and well priced. I've also used exoticcartransport.com when I had my Diablo shipped. I think it was about $900 (but that was during their slower winter period). They're insured, fully enclosed, and they stack the cars in the right order on the truck so they don't have to move cars around every stop. Well worth it to save $500+ in gas, at least 3 nights in a hotel, 1,500+ miles of wear&tear, plus a few stone chips. As far as washing goes, I'm just outside of Frederick, but ANYONE with a nice ride is welcome to come and wash/wax in my driveway (then join me for a drink by the pool).

Old 08-16-2012, 08:38 AM
airbrush1 has a spectacular aura aboutairbrush1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DaveWJunior
+1 on the AutoTrain idea. I did that when I picked up my 911 in Fort Lauderdale. Comfy and well priced. I've also used exoticcartransport.com when I had my Diablo shipped. I think it was about $900 (but that was during their slower winter period). They're insured, fully enclosed, and they stack the cars in the right order on the truck so they don't have to move cars around every stop. Well worth it to save $500+ in gas, at least 3 nights in a hotel, 1,500+ miles of wear&tear, plus a few stone chips. As far as washing goes, I'm just outside of Frederick, but ANYONE with a nice ride is welcome to come and wash/wax in my driveway (then join me for a drink by the pool).

^ sounds like a detailing day might transpire

Old 08-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by DaveWJunior
I considered the Autotrain but from what the rep told me the car had to meet a minimum ground clearance level to clear the loading ramp in which my car did not qualify.

My only gripe about the standard 'stacked' setup is the possibility of oil or other fluids leaking onto cars below. Here's how my car arrived..it was literally dropped off directly in front of my house in a fairly congested neighborhood by a single-car trailer. I was impressed.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Exotic Car Transport had disposable plastic covers on all of the cars. There trucks were big enough though that I met the driver in a parking lot about 3 miles from the house (he would've come into my dead end neighborhood, but was more comfortable with me coming out). When I shipped on the auto train ('84 Porsche 911 Cabrio) I had to sign a damage waiver because it was low. I don't think your 911 would've made it. Now, as for your pictures..... DAMN, that's a nice trailer! What is that, polished bamboo floors? I'm going to go and measure my trailer up for one of those side doors too. Too bad that crappy car is blocking the view

Old 08-16-2012, 11:21 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
So looks like we have a few choices here...

applewood....exotic car transport.... amtrak autotrain

so in each case what I'd be looking for is how the cars are arranged, and protective plastic covering, fully insured, cost of service door to door, and probably most importantly how the cars are strapped down....any idea on how the cars are secured in each of these?

BMW suggests T-hooks that twist into the chassis, Porsche has wheel hub anchors on their race cars, in general these work... but there are other ways mostly used by transport operators, wondering how the above movers do it?

Old 08-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Exotic Car Transport: Plastic on cars, "wheel nets" used for strap down, fully insured, Naples, FL to Frederick, MD was about $900 this spring, 2 1/2 days door to door (Diablo was last on and first off since most of their clientele are "Snow Birds" who winter in FL and Summer in New England). The only thing I didn't like (and this was just a "nicety" that some other transporters offered) was there was no online GPS tracking on their trucks so you couldn't get online every 10 minutes and see how far away your new toy was.
Auto Train - Enclosed train cars, but no covers, tie downs were metal hooks and center-over binders with chains attached underneath. Don't know about insurance. Sanford, FL (just outside of Orlando) to Lorton, VA (just south of DC) was $530 for me and the car (although prices vary greatly on time of year, how far in advance, etc). Leaves at 4:30pm and arrives next morning at 7:00. Includes a VERY comfy and roomy sleeping chair and a meal. They also have sleeping rooms for an additional cost. If you are under 50, you will be the youngest person on the train.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for a place to detail the GT3...