Need advice for buying a boat for Lake Michigan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 01:32 PM
rs4fast is infamous around these parts
Need advice for buying a boat for Lake Michigan

Well its not actually for me, but for my parents. They Just bought a place in Oostburg, WI and it is right on the lake, so the next logical step is to get a boat!

We have had a lake house before, but nothing close to the size of Lake Michigan. Our whole family likes to wakeboard, tube etc., so being able to wakeboard behind it is a must, but we also want a boat that can take longer cruises, say to Milwaukee, and hold a good ammount of people. I know that it is hard to fulfill all of these requests with one boat, so what would your choice be? Price range up to $60k

My father is paying the safety thing and is almost set on a twin engine set-up, in case we are out on the lake and one engine dies.....how common is this? He also wants a boat that can take the abuse Lake Michgan can dish out and still ride alright. Any info/ experiences would help. TIA

Jack

Old 01-03-2008, 02:19 AM
D-VO is infamous around these partsD-VO is infamous around these parts
you need a 34 footer to play comfortably IMO on lake michigan, we took our 27 sea-ray out there once in a while and it just wasn't fun.

Have your folks ever owned a boat that size? I'd look at 34' Searay's with full cabin and twin engine set up. We've been out of the boat scene long enough for me to not remember what the market is like, but objectively that's what you are looking for. I don't know how easy it would be for you to wakeboard on it, much less how you're gonna wakeboard on Lake Michigan. I'd keep a smaller boat for that purpose that you can trailer to smaller lakes.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:56 AM
rs4fast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by D-VO
you need a 34 footer to play comfortably IMO on lake michigan, we took our 27 sea-ray out there once in a while and it just wasn't fun.

Have your folks ever owned a boat that size? I'd look at 34' Searay's with full cabin and twin engine set up. We've been out of the boat scene long enough for me to not remember what the market is like, but objectively that's what you are looking for. I don't know how easy it would be for you to wakeboard on it, much less how you're gonna wakeboard on Lake Michigan. I'd keep a smaller boat for that purpose that you can trailer to smaller lakes.
Thanks for the info. I just found a 2004 Mastercraft X80 and my dad likes it. I have talked to a guy at Chicago Mastercraft and he told me that they have had several X80's in Lake Michigan and they do just fine. We do not plan to be very far away from shor at any point, as we are "fair weather" boaters. We'll see what happens

jack

Old 01-04-2008, 10:10 PM
D-VO is infamous around these partsD-VO is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rs4fast
Thanks for the info. I just found a 2004 Mastercraft X80 and my dad likes it. I have talked to a guy at Chicago Mastercraft and he told me that they have had several X80's in Lake Michigan and they do just fine. We do not plan to be very far away from shor at any point, as we are "fair weather" boaters. We'll see what happens

jack
Haha good plan, I know the type rather well, as that was us back in the days of boating.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:14 PM
mod220 is infamous around these parts
i'm looking at purchasing a 25' Nordic closed bow, but this thread has me a bit nervous. i know 25' is on the small side, and by no means do i plan taking it to Grand Rapids, but am i kidding myself thinking this boat is large enough for days out on the lake? just for wakeboarding, cruising up and down the coast, occasion trip downtown...

Old 04-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Last930 is infamous around these parts
I have used a variety of boats on Lake Michigan, ranging from an antique 15' wood Chris Craft to a F32 Trojan Sedan Bridge. On a smooth day a speedboat works great; on a bad day the 14,000 pound F32 got the crap kicked out of it. Lake Michigan can change conditions pretty quickly. Almost any boat will work if you pay attention to the weather and really respect it.

I remember crossing from Chicago to New Buffalo once in a 25' single engine cabin cruiser - glass smooth on the way there, 6 footers on the way back the next day. Very scary, and very miserable with a hangover!

Old 04-21-2009, 01:58 PM
38 Cigarette is infamous around these parts
Smile

Originally Posted by Last930
On a smooth day a speedboat works great
I have more fun when the water is kicked up.