Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

The MCS is underpowered and horrible to drive... discuss.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 02:25 AM
English Chap is infamous around these parts
Cool The MCS is underpowered and horrible to drive... discuss.

I've had an MCS for about 7 months now. Do I like? Yes, it's a nice little car to drive around in. Unfortunately, there are two things about this car which mean I have to get rid of it, namely the power and ride quality.

The lack of power just makes me cross; I actually took it back to the dealer when I brought it and had to ask him to check if the supercharger was working!

Why didn't BMW put at least a 2.0L engine in it as opposed to the annoyingly high revving 1.6L - some times you just want go out and drive your car fast without ragging the **** out of it, with the MCS, you have to really push the car into the high rev ranges to get any sort of performance out of it. It's just annoying, especially when the fuel consumptions is so unbelievably bad. Mine never seems to do better than 30 mpg and when you consider that fuel is about $9 a gallon in the UK....

Secondly, the ride quality is just shocking, bump, bump, bounce, bump, crack, bump, bump. bump.... AAAAAAAAHHHH!!! I don't have great roads around me, the car is a nightmare! I'm not event going to start.

Basically, I think it's a really nice car but I just cant live with lack of power and the bumps! I'll never understand the decision to put a crappy little engine in was is meant to be be a fun, sporty car.

</rant>

Old 11-23-2007, 05:15 AM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Mine was fine...trade for the new one the Turbo is faster and the ride quality is alot better. problem solved.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:22 AM
Responsible user
Bronto is infamous around these parts
Did you testdrive it before you bought it?

Old 11-23-2007, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by Bronto
Did you testdrive it before you bought it?
No, I brought it on a whim as I needed a little car.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by Marc
Mine was fine...trade for the new one the Turbo is faster and the ride quality is alot better. problem solved.
Wow! Definately don't want another one!!!!!!!

I think I'll get a Cayman S

Old 11-24-2007, 03:30 AM
Alexi is infamous around these parts
Sorry man, but not test driving a car and then moaning about is just ridiculous. You really shouldn't expect a 1,200 kg MINI with 175 bhp to perform miracles, sure it's nimble and quick in town but if you'd really wanted power in your Mini you should have considered the JCW packages. Good luck with getting a Cayman S over 30 mpg!

Old 11-24-2007, 05:40 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by Alexi
Sorry man, but not test driving a car and then moaning about is just ridiculous. You really shouldn't expect a 1,200 kg MINI with 175 bhp to perform miracles, sure it's nimble and quick in town but if you'd really wanted power in your Mini you should have considered the JCW packages. Good luck with getting a Cayman S over 30 mpg!
Have to say Alexi, that is a mildly ignorant post.

I needed a small car, so I got on the phone and ordered a MCS, simple. If I'd really cared that much, I would have made sure I got a test drive in.

The fact that I feel the car is under powered and horrible to drive is totally removed from whether of not I test drove it first. All I wanted was a small car, that I got, I wasn't really impressed by it but who cares, size was the reason I brought it, nothing else. I just happen to think the MCS is an **** to drive, the fact that I own one is irrelivant.

And just to note, I don't really care what my MPG is, I just feel a little cheated when such an underpowered car eats so much fuel.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:06 AM
jox
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Test drive another one?

While not a ridiculously quick car, it should pull fairly strong - you shouldn't be doubting the SC.

Or, just pick up a Reliant Robin.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:15 PM
ALTAADAM007 is infamous around these parts
Reliant Robin HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hey I have obviously a LOT of experience with the MINI world. But I have yet to meet someone as disgruntled as you after a purchase of an MCS. It isn't a porsche, but what the heck did you expect? And if you don't feel there is enough stock HP me and a TON of other companies make LOTS of things to improve the power, and still allow you to maintain MPG and pass MOT. Check out Lohen in the UK. They carry our stuff and others and would be happy to help you out.
But the NEW MINI (R56) does have a better powerplant than the R53. But if you hate this one, you will surely hate the R56 version.

Regardless, sorry you are unhappy with your purchase. Good luck!

Old 11-24-2007, 08:19 PM
imolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of light
no, actually the fact that you didn't drive it first before purchasing and then come out publicly bashing the car as if there is something wrong with the car has everything to do with everything. there is nothing wrong with the car, there is something wrong with you.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:05 AM
dzy
dzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond repute
If you expect good ride quality and great acceleration, you should have bought an AMG, not a Mini. Mine gets roughly 9l/100km but 5-6l/100km highway driving. That's pretty good numbers to me.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Alexi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by English Chap
I just happen to think the MCS is an **** to drive, the fact that I own one is irrelivant.
Again, I don't see how you're in a position to claim it's underpowered when you didn't even test drive it. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out it won't offer AMG speed, just look at the specifications sheet (bhp/kg) when ordering one. A test drive would have saved you all the trouble of having to drive a car you don't enjoy. It's nothing personal, it's just that I think this thread is pointless because all you're saying is that the car didn't live up to your expectations, whereas most MCS buyers who test drove the car knew what to expect.

Regardless of that, are you considering switching over to a Cayman S? My neighbor just picked up one and it sounds pretty nice.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:31 AM
Responsible user
Bronto is infamous around these parts
Why bother ranting? You bought something you didn't fully know about and it turned out to be different, who cares? stop the unecessary posting

Old 12-24-2007, 12:51 AM
modenaboy has a spectacular aura aboutmodenaboy has a spectacular aura about
Just got a new '07 MCS with all the sport options (except JCW) and it feels great for what it is. Ride quality is firm, but very good, and it has some kick. For reference, I drive a Cayman S as my daily, and have an Elise as well. I test drove the Mini, knew what I was going to get, and it exceeded my expectations.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:03 AM
LABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Alexi
Again, I don't see how you're in a position to claim it's underpowered when you didn't even test drive it. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out it won't offer AMG speed, just look at the specifications sheet (bhp/kg) when ordering one. A test drive would have saved you all the trouble of having to drive a car you don't enjoy. It's nothing personal, it's just that I think this thread is pointless because all you're saying is that the car didn't live up to your expectations, whereas most MCS buyers who test drove the car knew what to expect.

Regardless of that, are you considering switching over to a Cayman S? My neighbor just picked up one and it sounds pretty nice.
I'm with you on this one Alexi.

Don't ***** about a car when you couldn't be arsed to test drive it, and as you're giving the impression it was a minor purchase without much thought put into it you shouldn't have much difficulty in selling it and purchasing something else, perhaps a Toyota Yaris 1.3 litre.

Last edited by LABrit; 12-24-2007 at 01:05 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The MCS is underpowered and horrible to drive... discuss.