Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

How serious is the Mini Cooper S's performance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:25 AM
xxForgedxx is infamous around these partsxxForgedxx is infamous around these partsxxForgedxx is infamous around these partsxxForgedxx is infamous around these parts
How serious is the Mini Cooper S's performance?

I have driven a stock Cooper S (supercharged not turbo) and it wasn't fast in a straight line but very nimble, and planted. I was wondering how serious of a performer these can be with some mods. The supercharged ones and then the turbo minis. I would think being fwd and light any power worth pulling it in a straight line would leave it melting tires or making it not so hot on a road course because of too much power and not enough traction...

Old 09-05-2008, 10:55 AM
HUX
HUX is infamous around these parts
I found one (the new S with the JCW package) here in México, going to Toluca@7,800 feet above sea level, uphill, doing 95 mph. It accelerated to 125 mph almost as fast as the Audi S3 2.0T I was driving. Great performance for a 1.6l.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:36 PM
beaner is infamous around these parts
just adding power will not make a MCS a good track weapon. like you stated, it will just smoke tires. i currently don't make a lot of power (190 at the wheels), but i have done substantial suspension, brake and tire upgrades.
this combination makes for a pretty potent little track car. here is a video of me chasing a lotus exige driven by another forum member. he caught me in traffic, i pointed him past, then ran pretty close to him for the rest of the session. we were both catching "faster" cars.
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=1f4953f6.pbr
i have since added a 4-pt roll bar, fixed back cobra racing seats and 6-pt harnesses. i have a couple of buddies w/ track prepped MINI's and we have a great time while bruising a few egos.

Last edited by beaner; 09-05-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:49 PM
K5Cruiser is infamous around these partsK5Cruiser is infamous around these parts
There isn't much aftermarket support (yet) for the newer R56 turbo cars. I'm sure in due time it will come. If you want a MINI and you're after some power now, then stick to an older R53 S. There is plenty of aftermarket support for the supercharged cars. A supercharger pulley, intake, exhaust and tuning does wonders for these cars. I have those mods and more, and I'm currently putting down 258whp in my '02 S. Check out northamericanmotoring dot com for more MINI info.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:56 PM
K5Cruiser: if i have your power w/ my suspension/brakes/etc, the MINI would be a very serious track weapon. i've been talking to jan for some time and will be installing his stroker/head/cam/exhaust/tune. still waiting to see how the TVS blower works out. this will put the MINI in some serious company in the weight/hp category while retaining the handling that makes these cars so special.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
It's not a straight line car, & never really will be. If you push it to much, you will compromise everything else. My 08 MCS, has pretty good torque steer bone stock with a LSD. While I will flash, intake & exhaust it later, right now it's pretty good, but does feel a little corked up top. The MCS is about the balance of power & handling. They turn in wonderfully, & offer a ton of grip (stock), the brakes & gearing are also very well matched.

Don't think mine will ever be over 200whp, it gets to be hard to control, & you get a high strung, temperamental engine with horrible torque steer.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
As an owner of an Exige, I can say that the Mini is a pretty darned good car. Better than average. Obviously, equal drivers the Lotus is seriously fast, but low on power. I'd put it on par with a C4S. Depending on the course.

The Mini is also nice because you can take a set of track wheels, while the Lotus is either on a trailer or driving the track with the tires it drove to the track on.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Bleu Omdurman
As an owner of an Exige, I can say that the Mini is a pretty darned good car. Better than average. Obviously, equal drivers the Lotus is seriously fast, but low on power. I'd put it on par with a C4S. Depending on the course.

The Mini is also nice because you can take a set of track wheels, while the Lotus is either on a trailer or driving the track with the tires it drove to the track on.
i put up the vid w/ a lotus because it is a respected track car. in another event, i was on track w/ three exiges. i ran pretty evenly w/ two of them, but the third went by me very quickly. driver skill will always be important. i have a friend who is an instructor w/ several groups who drives a C4S. he tracks the car on high performance street tires and cannot keep up w/ the four MINIs on r-comps. he is quicker in his E36 M3 on slicks (except in the wet).

i can no longer put a set of track tires in my car because of the cage that i added.

the MINI will not be a straight line car, but w/ the right suspension and 250+ hp, exit speed will be good and i should be able to hang w/ some serious iron.

the MINI is also a very easy car to drive quickly. w/ little experience, one can turn laps faster that more exotic cars that require more driving skill. it still requires some skill to get the last 1/10th.

i love tracking my MINI. we have a very good group of solo/instructor/race cars in my area and have earned the respect of those with which we share the track.