Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

steering pump noise ????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:02 PM
toddfitz is infamous around these parts
steering pump noise ????

I have a 2004 mini with a power steering pump noise. The dealer by phone says it is the pump more than likely. I tested it and it is where the noise is from. It is an electric pump. Rebuilds are anywhere from 250-500, and new is 600-700 range, for the part only !
Any fluid change or something anybody knows of, that may fix this rather than changing the pump ?
Very disappointing car !
An automatic that I hear is a horrible transmission, an crazy price steering pump, and the one piece exhaust system has rotted out at 40k miles.
I was excited to buy a mini, but now after seeing the repair records topping the charts, and crazy part prices. I hope to never own another.
sorry, loyal mini lovers, but this car should not be mistaken for a bmw build.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Danamax is infamous around these parts
If the noise is a high pitched whine that fluctuates a little as you turn the steering wheel, that is a normal MINI trait of the electrohydraulic steering pump on 2006 and older MINI's. What does it sound like?

Last edited by Danamax; 07-03-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:50 AM
b!0hzrd is infamous around these parts
the mini's power steering system is fan cooled, so find out whether or not your pump is still at the point where you can save it by replacing the fan.

what usually happens is something (road debris or a plastic bag, usually) will go under the car and get sucked up by the fan. happened to me, took out my whole P/S system, and i was a new driver at the time, so it was REALLY frustrating trying to learn how to drive without it. needless to say, i got the pump and fan both replaced, and i had a protective guard installed over the fan.

first and foremost, i don't have my car or my owner's manual on me, otherwise i'd tell you which fuse to check to see if maybe the fan fuse just blew. check NAM and mini2, people there should be able to point you in the right direction.

try and replace your fan with a new one and put a guard over it, they're available at moss mini and possibly at mini mania. the cobalt fan guard is actually better than the OEM part, as it's made of aluminum instead of cheap plastic. if replacing the fan does the trick, and hopefully it will, step back for a second and be thankful.

Last edited by b!0hzrd; 10-05-2009 at 07:52 AM.