Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

SharkWerks Picks Up a Mini Cooper S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Philly997TT is a jewel in the roughPhilly997TT is a jewel in the roughPhilly997TT is a jewel in the rough
Any update yet on the ECU Sharkster?? I can't wait to see what you're gonna be able to do with this little machine...

Old 05-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Slowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Philly997TT
Any update yet on the ECU Sharkster?? I can't wait to see what you're gonna be able to do with this little machine...
Good question, many Mini's are ready for some software that really makes a difference.I asked a couple of tuners now producing software for the Mini and they both said they expected about 10 HP gain for my 2009 JCW because limits in the ECU that control the MAF won't allow for any more gains. We need someone like EVOMS to break into this ECU and lift the limits so we can get tunes for hybrids and larger turbos for the Mini.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:23 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Sorry guys not yet I haven't had time to go down there yet but we're working on our 996GT3 motor and I'll bring the mini ECU down for todd to look at

Old 05-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Philly997TT is a jewel in the roughPhilly997TT is a jewel in the roughPhilly997TT is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Slowcart
Good question, many Mini's are ready for some software that really makes a difference.I asked a couple of tuners now producing software for the Mini and they both said they expected about 10 HP gain for my 2009 JCW because limits in the ECU that control the MAF won't allow for any more gains. We need someone like EVOMS to break into this ECU and lift the limits so we can get tunes for hybrids and larger turbos for the Mini.
I hope you and/or Todd can crack this ECU. As of right now, there's only one tuner that is truely able to crack this ECU in the States, and possibly in the world. The Mini community would love to have another choice to pick from. Please keep us updated...good or bad.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Stupid question time, but I want to take advantage of the Sharkwerks perspective. It seems that "cracking the ECU code" is the Holy Grail for most all of the european cars. I have to assume that the manufacturers do not cooperate in any way, shape or form with these efforts. A local shop indicated that Mercedes is one that's expensive to meddle with, because there is limited software, to do so. Software development is demand-driven, and there definitely is more demand in the Porsche arena than with Mini or MB. Does Porsche offer any assistance at all to those who are working on squeezing every last horsepower out of the ECU? Just curious. I also realize that it is a very competitive business and any factory intervention would unfairly level the playing field.

It seems like the demand is out there, and he who seeks and finds the Grail shall prevail!

Old 05-28-2010, 11:08 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Well here's the good news... I'm heading out to EVOMS next week as we're tuning our 996GT3 project but I'll bring the mini ECU so Todd@EVOMS can play around with it some more. He had a pretty good break-through on this particular ECU just this week so it's alive and kicking again

However if _any_ of you are close to AZ and want to drop in to see Todd you could do a live tune there I'm sure

Old 05-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Slowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sharkster
Well here's the good news... I'm heading out to EVOMS next week as we're tuning our 996GT3 project but I'll bring the mini ECU so Todd@EVOMS can play around with it some more. He had a pretty good break-through on this particular ECU just this week so it's alive and kicking again

However if _any_ of you are close to AZ and want to drop in to see Todd you could do a live tune there I'm sure
Alex,

If Evoms has not cracked the Mini ECU as of yet how could anyone expect to show up for a live tune and get on the spot results ?

I have seen a lot of Mini guys post who like to install down pipes for an quick 10 to 15 hp (higer flow cat & non cat) and later remove the down pipe mainly because they can not find a soultion for the CEL that is generated.

It seems like in the Porsche world a cat related CEL is no biggie but for now in the Mini world this is a problem with no hardware or software solution.

FWIW I showed the stock JCW compressor map to a turbo builder and he said even though the stock JCW is already a hybrid ( And can produce much more HP than stock tune is providing) the stock JCW turbo could be modified with billet wheels to flow aprox. 300 HP and this type of modifacation is done to VW's and Audi's but they have tunes available and it seems Mini does not.

The turbo Mini came out in 2007 so maybe it won't be too many more years before some software shows up.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Alex,

If Evoms has not cracked the Mini ECU as of yet how could anyone expect to show up for a live tune and get on the spot results ?

I have seen a lot of Mini guys post who like to install down pipes for an quick 10 to 15 hp (higer flow cat & non cat) and later remove the down pipe mainly because they can not find a soultion for the CEL that is generated.

It seems like in the Porsche world a cat related CEL is no biggie but for now in the Mini world this is a problem with no hardware or software solution.

FWIW I showed the stock JCW compressor map to a turbo builder and he said even though the stock JCW is already a hybrid ( And can produce much more HP than stock tune is providing) the stock JCW turbo could be modified with billet wheels to flow aprox. 300 HP and this type of modifacation is done to VW's and Audi's but they have tunes available and it seems Mini does not.

The turbo Mini came out in 2007 so maybe it won't be too many more years before some software shows up.
He had to make some extra tools but those are done now. Once I confirm everything with my ECU there it shouldn't be a problem

Old 05-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by sharkster
He had to make some extra tools but those are done now. Once I confirm everything with my ECU there it shouldn't be a problem

Sounds good I will watch for your updates.

BTW your new building looks great. Did you get your new sign for your new building if so please post a picture.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Sounds good I will watch for your updates.

BTW your new building looks great. Did you get your new sign for your new building if so please post a picture.
Thanks man and yes I will Was almost ready today actually...

Old 06-25-2010, 11:02 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Sharkey, any updates yet?

I have a 2009 Cooper S in Yellow that is my dailey and travel car.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Any news on the ECU performance files from EVOMS ?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:04 AM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Philly997TT
As of right now, there's only one tuner that is truely able to crack this ECU in the States, and possibly in the world. The Mini community would love to have another choice to pick from. Please keep us updated...good or bad.
Are you talking about Jan (RMW)? He does some amazing work on Mini's...

Old 07-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Danamax is infamous around these parts
Jan's tunes are the result of tons of research, track, and road testing. Highly reccomended. He's done a few cars here at Crevier MINI. No issues, just more reliable power.
Dana

Old 07-28-2010, 03:47 PM
beckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the rough
Subscribing to this. Also have a 07 PW needing some power...quick look at mine...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SharkWerks Picks Up a Mini Cooper S