Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

SharkWerks Picks Up a Mini Cooper S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:16 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Wink SharkWerks Picks Up a Mini Cooper S

Being a brit (ex) I've always liked the original Mini Cooper.... The new ones have also caught my eye and after a couple of weeks of dilly dallying I finally picked one up. I opted for the newer Turbo charged version... I actually found it right next door to our friends at EVOMS (more on this later) so I flew out and drove it back. I'm not usually keen on FWD cars but for some strange reason this little box of tricks doesn't feel much like an FWD car. It's pretty light and nifty in the turns too. The turbo itself is a cute little baby but as a result the power feels nice and linear. She's an 07 Pepper white with a few of the sport goodies...

Having looked around a bit as far as software/performance flashes I came back pretty empty handed. So what's a guy with a fetish for performance software and turbo charged cars to do? This is where Todd and EVOMSit comes in....

Open up the engine bay... the ECU is on the top right:

Seems as though the bosch ECU's in the R56 are a pia to tune so out came the ECU:

So here's my daily driver and with Todd@EVOMS' help we should have some EVOMSit software to bump the performance up shortly. I'll be testing it for a while first but for those of you interested we'll have a tune in the near future that doesn't require "piggyback" etc...

Yes there's a few other mods planned too

Old 03-22-2010, 02:39 PM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
Very nice. One of the best colors on the Mini. One question, is the wheel/tire combo off or something? There seems to be a BIG gap in the wheel well. Nowhere near how my wife's '05 S looks.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:48 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
Very nice. One of the best colors on the Mini. One question, is the wheel/tire combo off or something? There seems to be a BIG gap in the wheel well. Nowhere near how my wife's '05 S looks.
thanks man.. and yes they were a little higher from 07 with the new R56 models... But I'll fix that

Old 03-22-2010, 03:12 PM
bavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to all
Nice find! I agree these are awsome daily drivers. My mother and sister both have them and love them.

I drove my sister's "S" back from the dealer when she got it and had a blast, handles like a 3 Series go-kart and has plenty of pull for such a light car.

How does the Turbo charged version compare to the Super charged version?

Old 03-22-2010, 03:14 PM
bavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to all
BTW, any plans for the exhaust? I had a chance to hear the JCW version at the dealer and it sounded pretty nice.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Nice.. Good luck with it.. Keep us updated on the Tuning!!!

Mike

Old 03-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
We will be doing some ECU tuning today Should be fun!

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 03-23-2010, 03:32 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
awesome! those are fun lil cars...

Old 03-24-2010, 03:07 AM
homi mike is infamous around these parts
Let the mod begin!

BTW, I hated the drive from PHX back to Norcal ...Done it twice and probably never ever gonna do it again unless the car drives by itself

Old 03-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by homi mike
Let the mod begin!

BTW, I hated the drive from PHX back to Norcal ...Done it twice and probably never ever gonna do it again unless the car drives by itself
Hehe yes... first things first and most important is the tuning. I really had no idea there was such a lack of options as far as the ECU goes. Good thing Todd@EVOMS owned a Mini as well... He's going to give it some extra love

Originally Posted by jhuang25
awesome! those are fun lil cars...
Thanks and yes they are

Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
We will be doing some ECU tuning today Should be fun!
In between silver 1000hp 996TT's right Can't wait.... I've got a few Bay Area mini folks with the R56 2007+ cars waiting

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Nice.. Good luck with it.. Keep us updated on the Tuning!!!

Mike
Thanks Mike... should be a fun lil' project. They drive so well...

Originally Posted by bavorak
BTW, any plans for the exhaust? I had a chance to hear the JCW version at the dealer and it sounded pretty nice.
You're right.. that's something we should look at

Originally Posted by bavorak
Nice find! I agree these are awsome daily drivers. My mother and sister both have them and love them.

I drove my sister's "S" back from the dealer when she got it and had a blast, handles like a 3 Series go-kart and has plenty of pull for such a light car.

How does the Turbo charged version compare to the Super charged version?
Thanks and it really does drive well... actually doesn't feel like a fwd car either. The handling is pretty sweet as is the steering. It only weighs about 2500 pounds so it's light too. I've driven both and I have to say the turbo charged one with the newer (and better) DFI motor is both peppier and more responsive. The super-charger whine is cool but as far as power delivery goes the newer motor is about a second quicker 0-60.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Teddy is infamous around these parts
Keep us posted..... I'm thinking of picking up an R56 too. There are really no options out there for tuning...strange.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Teddy
Keep us posted..... I'm thinking of picking up an R56 too. There are really no options out there for tuning...strange.
Hey Teddy you bet... the ECU's in the front engine bay and comes out pretty easily and I know Todd's working on it this next few days so let's see what we get here

Old 03-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Q8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud of
Alex congrats on your new toy... Now let's see EVOMSit's magic on that ecu... I have good hopes on the tuning.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Glanza is infamous around these parts
The ride looks sick!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:21 AM
JJB
JJB is infamous around these parts
Alex, please keep us posted

I have a 2007 S that I purchased new and I have been getting the itch to add some mods. To this point I have only added wheels and the JIC Cross suspension (the R56 is comically high in the standard suspension position). I will be eager to see what you and Todd are able to achieve.

JJB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SharkWerks Picks Up a Mini Cooper S