Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

manual or automatic??? help please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 10:35 AM
crhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura about
manual or automatic??? help please!

Hello fellow auto enthusiasts...

Feed back please…just ordered 2011 Clubman S. I have been on the fence about transmission choices, manual or automatic. This will be my daily driver, and I am on the road averaging 500 miles a week, mixed highway and in town (gas is killing me driving the E55) I have a few days to decide before the car goes into production. On one hand the manual has the “fun factor”; on the other hand, the automatic has its plusses in traffic, etc. (being in the congested SF Bay Area)

Any input?
Thx, Ron.

Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Clubman_WS_back.bmp (516.2 KB, 110 views)
Old 05-18-2011, 10:43 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Please get the manual. I had an 08 MCS which I DD 60 miles a day everyday for about a year. Fantastic clutch. Not taxing at all in traffic. Only thing I would suggest is getting a short shifter as the throws in the stock config are like a Mack truck

Old 05-18-2011, 10:52 AM
crhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by bonehead
Please get the manual. I had an 08 MCS which I DD 60 miles a day everyday for about a year. Fantastic clutch. Not taxing at all in traffic. Only thing I would suggest is getting a short shifter as the throws in the stock config are like a Mack truck
WOW that was quick! Thanks for the response. Yes, manual was my first choice, but keep thinking how many other things I'm doing while driving. I know, I know, now I going to hear it from people. But I must multitask as I am working while driving. Phone, making notes, in and out of breifcase, etc. Now its not all the time so it might be ok. Also need to think resale I am loading the car up pretty good so maybe auto might be good for this.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Banned
ogomez79 is infamous around these parts
Auto isn't that bad. I had an MCS for years with auto. I too commute in bay area traffic and while I said i'd never own an auto, it just isn't 'fun' when you don't even get up to 50mph very often. Besides you (like I) have the porsche for fun, so get what will make your life more enjoyable. For me that auto in a dd with stop and go traffic made my commute much more enjoyable (if that's the right word to use when thinking about traffic on the bridge at 8am).

Old 05-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks guys. Went with the auto.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Banned
ogomez79 is infamous around these parts
How do you like it so far?

Old 06-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by ogomez79
How do you like it so far?

on order...ill let you know in a few weeks...takes 6-8 weeks to build and transport to the states.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Have not received yet

Old 06-24-2011, 04:18 AM
fastman3d is infamous around these parts
I do not see any reason to choose manual. I have lived in Europe most of my life and I despise those manuals. Make your life easier and drive an automatic. God Bless America for the automatics

Old 06-29-2011, 09:24 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
In defense of the tiptronic auto, we have one in our '06 S and we really like it. The semi-manual mode allows shifting with the stick or the steering wheel paddles, and while it has a little shift-lag compared to the Porsche PDK, it's still a very practical choice for the mini. There are those times where you just don't want to be fooling with the clutch and shifter. Enjoy the Clubman - hope it turns out to be everything you want.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Slik560
In defense of the tiptronic auto, we have one in our '06 S and we really like it. The semi-manual mode allows shifting with the stick or the steering wheel paddles, and while it has a little shift-lag compared to the Porsche PDK, it's still a very practical choice for the mini. There are those times where you just don't want to be fooling with the clutch and shifter. Enjoy the Clubman - hope it turns out to be everything you want.
Thanks for the note...still waiting to arrive.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Persian54 has much to be proud ofPersian54 has much to be proud ofPersian54 has much to be proud ofPersian54 has much to be proud ofPersian54 has much to be proud ofPersian54 has much to be proud ofPersian54 has much to be proud ofPersian54 has much to be proud of
I'd say for for manual...though I personally don't plan on getting another manual unless it's my 3rd drive-in-a-blue-moon car

Old 07-17-2011, 07:59 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
Only and always manual.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:20 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
the auto is great.

We got a 11 Cooper S as a city commuter car so we got it automatic... my wife doesn't drive stick...

I have to say that i am pretty impressed with the little thing... In traffic is excellent... I can't say that its the smoothest auto i have driven, but there are certain things that i enjoy... It properly downshifts even if you are not using the sport mode, it is quite fast in changes and doesn't really slip...

On the sport mode on, it significantly faster when changing, it never puts 6th gear, keeps in in 5th and generellay it keeps revs higher...

The other great plus is that if you use it in auto/manual, the shifting is properly setup... pull back to upshift, push front to downshift... THIS IS THE WAY THAT ALL AUTO/MANUALS SHOULD BE!!!

Old 08-14-2011, 02:44 PM
jrperser is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kouzman
the auto is great.

We got a 11 Cooper S as a city commuter car so we got it automatic... my wife doesn't drive stick...
Good choice. I've got a stick S for a daily driver. With about 90 miles round trip daily in Dallas traffic. Would trade it in a heartbeat for an auto.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.