Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

Newby to the Mini world

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:27 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
Newby to the Mini world

another newby to the mini world..... I just bought this mcs/6 speed this past xmas..no comparison to my 996...but its a fun lil car to drive I have to admit....I've already have a few mod in the works..jcw style hood grill, wheels, window tint, not sure which CAI or exhaust yet.... here's a few dealer pics...

Attached Images    
Old 01-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on a great little mini. They are a blast to drive. My wife will never part with her MCS. If you ever want to go down the path of performance mods, check out www.northamericanmotoring.com This site is to Mini as 6-Speed is to Porsche.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:57 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Slik560
Congrats on a great little mini. They are a blast to drive. My wife will never part with her MCS. If you ever want to go down the path of performance mods, check out www.northamericanmotoring.com This site is to Mini as 6-Speed is to Porsche.
thanks for the link..I will definitely check it out..I'm currently looking for CAI & exhaust but don't know which is the best one out there...she's a little too quiet & I don't want one that sounds ricey either......Borla or Supersprint maybe..?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not a good one to ask, as I've been forbidden to modify the spouse's MINI (even though she calls it "our" MINI) until further notice. I was ready to get a supercharger pulley, cold air intake and do a new exhaust, but I never got to the research stage!!

The SL is mine, the Mini hers, and the ML is the workhorse.

NOW: there is an aftermarket site for Minis that might have the goodies you're looking for, but shop around - www.minimania.com

Old 01-16-2012, 12:07 PM
justjones is infamous around these parts
A few things to consider, The Cooper S is capable of adding 60-70hp for around $2,500. First off one of the best things you could do all around for the car is get some different wheels. The ones on the car now are called S-lites aka S-heavies, They weigh a ridiculous 30 lbs or so. Handling and acceleration will def. benefit from some much lighter wheels. Engine wise follow a similar route as the JCW additions, just add an Alta performance intake($200?) it will make the supercharger SCREAM! A Way Motor Works 15% reduction supercharger pulley (20hp right here alone for $100). The John Cooper Works Exhaust($1200) is what I have and my fav, BMW did a great Job with it sounds great deep and bassy like a classic english sports car not at all high pitched and raspy or ricey.lol Add some bigger JCW fuel injectors from the dealer($400) and finally pull it all together with a custom tune from someone like Revolution Mini in Cali.($400-$500) And you should be looking at a 230hp-240hp in a car that weighs around 2500lbs which puts its power to weight ratio somewhere near though a little less than my Stock '02 C2 with 320hp and weighs 3,000-3100lbs. The great thing is all these performance mods do not affect the DD ability of the car at all. I've had mine 2 yrs now and think BMW did a great job. With these 5 or so mods the extra power finally matches the excellent chassis, albeit it does need a new rear sway bar($200) to really get the best of the chassis. Anyhoo just some suggestions to make your commute even more fun.

Justin

Old 01-17-2012, 12:43 AM
thanks for the suggestion...wow, didn't know you can get 60-70 more hp from a 4banger...I've never own a 4 cylinder before..I was thinking of just getting a CAI & exhaust & that's about it...the other options you mention sounds interesting...hmmmmm.....here's a few mod I've done so far.....just the basic for now...tinted windows, JWC style grill & new wheels..my 996 is a DD, but that may change when the coop is all set & done....

I haven't install the bumper grill yet......haven't got a clue how to remove it without breaking anything...

Last edited by MkC2S; 01-17-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:35 PM
justjones is infamous around these parts
Wow its awesome how the wheels and grill make it look so cool and differeent from stock! The bottom grill is a pain you have to modify it and the bumper with a dremel. But yeah its not hard to extract a lot power out of any thing thats forced inducted, like the cooper's four pot.