Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

GTR and the warranty issue...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Zlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by JZRS4
Exactly and we saw the same thing with the E46 M3 and the Over-rev issue. I wish people would read fine print and make a decision before buying instead of pissing and moaning after the purchase.
Couldnt have said it better myself.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:31 AM
WARDHOG is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 05997S
I was told by a friend who bought one that he had to sign a written acknowledgment that due to its design as a performance car that any rattles or mechanical noises during operation were inherent by design and that the buyer agreed they were not subject to warranty claims.
Lexus has the same deal too as far as the rattles and other noises. Saw it in a bullet statement on the website when I was checking out the IF-08.

Last edited by WARDHOG; 09-08-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:43 AM
ATL
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 05997S
I was told by a friend who bought one that he had to sign a written acknowledgment that due to its design as a performance car that any rattles or mechanical noises during operation were inherent by design and that the buyer agreed they were not subject to warranty claims.
This is 100% true. I signed this document the same day I sold it. After I read this, I was worried they were going to have a "you can't sell your car for x days" clause Never seen anything like it before.

The transmission is very clunky at low speeds.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:16 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche
This is 100% true. I signed this document the same day I sold it. After I read this, I was worried they were going to have a "you can't sell your car for x days" clause Never seen anything like it before.

It does make some noise but in a very cool SpeedGT kind of way.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Streamlined is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche

Manufacturers seem to be learning from the experiences of others - for example when they new Mini came out they engineered a nice clear burble/backfire-y noise when you let off the gas and guess what, lots of complaints from customers who either thought it was malfunctioning or wanted it changed as they thought it sounded embarrassing. In spite of many enthusiasts liking the sound it was a big headache for Mini and I believe it is part of the reason they toned it down and phased it out. So not a bad idea for Nissan to make you acknowledge that the car makes noises you might not be accustomed to and that it is normal (it does say all that in the manual too but we all know plenty of people don't read that, so the doc assures that stuff is known it seems).

Fwiw every sequential manual I've driven (SMG, DSG) has been clunky at low gears but is often correctable by driver effort once it has warmed up.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Streamlined is infamous around these parts
For more POVs/info this topic was also discussed in this thread too:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2027087

Old 09-08-2008, 03:50 PM
SkyMan is infamous around these parts
I'm assuming as time goes on, 3rd party manufacturers will produce parts that seem out of the realm price wise from Nissan. If the price of the Nismo performance parts for the car are any indication, everything seems to be grossly inflated at the moment.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Esquire is a name known to allEsquire is a name known to allEsquire is a name known to allEsquire is a name known to allEsquire is a name known to allEsquire is a name known to all
Exactly and we saw the same thing with the E46 M3 and the Over-rev issue. I wish people would read fine print and make a decision before buying instead of pissing and moaning after the purchase.
Fine print is a little different.

A warranty issue like this would probably have to be open and obvious, rather than inconspicuously hidden in fine text. If it is the latter, that is when Magnuson Moss steps in.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:53 PM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
what screams louder - the marketing of a fast car or the fine print? Think about how these cars are sold - look at us: we're selling a fast car that handles great - it's FAST!!! Faster than xyz car and does 0-60 in such in such time. BUT don't do what we say it can or else we won't back the warranty. It's kinda crappy of them ya know. Just like the 911 3.4L engine - ohhhhh you reved it high and it blew and it's your fault. Well, didn't you tell me all along with your marketing this is basically a street legal race car??

Old 09-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Shinkaze has a spectacular aura aboutShinkaze has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by paneraiwatches
I find it almost impossible to believe a brake job for a Nissan (GTR) is 6K
Brembos don't get cheaper when you mount them to a Nissan.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:14 PM
JAMESZ is infamous around these parts
There has been alot of talk about this, especially about the warranty and "VDC off."

The "fine print," or bold print in the case of the VDC off, is more of a safety net for Nissan. NNA has stated the VDC off does not necessarily void the warranty, but if something does happen while the VDC is off, the warranty may not cover the repair with in reason. That is if you blow both transaxles within a 1,000 or so miles and Nissan looks at the VDCR and sees more than 60+ logged LCs, you're not going to be covered because they are going to assume that a good portion of those 60+ LCs are going to be back to back abuse. Now if you have the same failure with only a few LCs or during VDC off you'll be ok as long as the recordings don't show excessive abuse. It's all within reason, don't overly abuse the car and you'll be ok.

VDC off won't void the warranty, and the only reason to turn off VDC is to use the LC, because the fastest times around a track are going to happen with VDC on. Mods are questionable, again with-in reason. As for service, there has been talk about excessive service intervals, and costs. I really think it is blown out of porportion. The brakes are Brembos, so as mentioned previously they aren't any cheaper because of the Hamburger badge. Service intervals are 18k miles at 2 grand or so, so really it isn't too bad, especially for the performance.

As for noises or rattles, for those that were mentioning that was that a paper the dealer wrote up? If so it won't hold up. There are things that may be within reason for the performance, but rattles and such are not outside warranty work.

It seems alot of the owners though are using their GTR as a DD, for them I do kind of worry about maintanence costs. Between brakes, service intervals, and tires the cars are going to be expensive to operate. If it is a weekend toy the car will not be that bad.

Sorry for the extra long post.

Last edited by JAMESZ; 09-09-2008 at 12:21 PM.