Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Can GTR Be Daily Beater

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 04:44 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Question Can GTR Be Daily Beater

I was thinking of getting one to replace my DD Jeep SRT-8 to save some gas. . Anyone here thinks the suspension is harsh? I also think warming and cooling the turbos is PITA.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Streamlined is infamous around these parts
Sure why not, as long as you don't mind a firm ride. It's not exactly an economy car though if you are looking to save on gas (I haven't personally been tracking however, perhaps others can chime in on that).

As for warming/cooling the turbos, as I understand it, the only time you should do a bit of a cool down is when the coolant temps get extremely hot, not in normal driving. Otherwise all the fluids and such warm up in no time and its ready for some fun

Other then that I can't see why it wouldn't be an extremely entertaining daily driver

Old 09-11-2008, 09:11 PM
SSMCL-S6 is infamous around these parts
with technology now, any sports car can double as a daily driver. it obviously wasn't meant for it, but with Japanese reliability its probably a great choice compared to other cars. I know if i used one for a DD, id be tempted often to be on the gas pedal, so not sure you'd see great gas mileage, but look what you're comparing too. [nice cars]

OH! and no, can't be a beater! not old and worthless...

Old 09-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
Wow a 90k car as a beater. Just sounds baller!

Old 09-11-2008, 10:46 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
I've been using as DD for two weeks, and it is OK, but not ideal. I will go back to my Civic Hybrid as DD I think (not joking).

Old 09-11-2008, 11:37 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chrisn
I've been using as DD for two weeks, and it is OK, but not ideal. I will go back to my Civic Hybrid as DD I think (not joking).
hey chris, just wondering have you found the seating position a bit high and can you fit with a helmet ok? Seems real high to me and tight but I'm not as tall as you? Really big in person but still pretty neat and great bang for the buck!

Old 09-12-2008, 11:29 AM
JROW is infamous around these parts
No. Definitely not a daily driver. The car would spend a lot of time in service for maintenace. You would have to have extremely deep pockets. My service manager came back from gtr training last week and said that the maintenance is unreal. You might as well buy a ferrari and dd it.

Tires every 7k miles at 3 grand, transmission services with extremely expensive fluid and that's just the beginning. The last page of the service book is dedicated to transmission replacements and has 8 lines.

No way.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:13 PM
ThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by JROW
No. Definitely not a daily driver. The car would spend a lot of time in service for maintenace. You would have to have extremely deep pockets. My service manager came back from gtr training last week and said that the maintenance is unreal. You might as well buy a ferrari and dd it.

Tires every 7k miles at 3 grand, transmission services with extremely expensive fluid and that's just the beginning. The last page of the service book is dedicated to transmission replacements and has 8 lines.

No way.
but in the end, its just a nissan

parts and maintenance aren't that bad on nissan's- is the R8 completely that different?

Old 09-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Dick Fidd is infamous around these parts
SRT8 Yeep is a great DD IMHO. Taller than cars but not as tall as a real SUV for visibility, huge torque for getting in front of imbeciles effortlessly, tight enough suspension to not have to granny it around turns, 4-doors for passengers, and cheap enough to park anywhere, have coffee in, etc. I say keep it.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:52 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by sharkster
hey chris, just wondering have you found the seating position a bit high and can you fit with a helmet ok? Seems real high to me and tight but I'm not as tall as you? Really big in person but still pretty neat and great bang for the buck!
Sounds like you got your hands on one!

Yep, one of my gripes is lack of headroom. 911 def hs a bit more. I end up putting seat all the way back an reclining the seat a bit more than I would like. I was really worried about room with helmet, but it is fine.

Def could use some proper race seats for full time track duty.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by JROW

No way.
All this stuff is over blown. I just did post-track service: $125.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:25 AM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
After a ride, I don't think I want one for DD. Suspension is harsh even at comfy mode. huge car but don't think any adult can fit at the back seats with that leg room. Beside, it draw too much attentions as a DD.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:31 AM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Dick Fidd
SRT8 Yeep is a great DD IMHO. Taller than cars but not as tall as a real SUV for visibility, huge torque for getting in front of imbeciles effortlessly, tight enough suspension to not have to granny it around turns, 4-doors for passengers, and cheap enough to park anywhere, have coffee in, etc. I say keep it.

I agree with Dick on this one. The SRT8 is great for a DD. 4 doors. Cheaper maintenance. Not overly "in your face." Relatively low profile appearance. And most importantly, the ability to park it almost anywhere and not worry too much about it.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:49 AM
JROW is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by chrisn
All this stuff is over blown. I just did post-track service: $125.
You didn't do brakes did you? You have to flush the brake system, replace pads and rotors all the way around. That will be more than a couple hundred bucks. And If you track it I imagine it will be done fairly often like any other tracked car. The dealers won't be helping with costs by any means. We are jacking our labor rate up on GTRs.

I'm assuming you havnt serviced the trans yet either. Probably don't have enough miles on it yet to do any real maintenance.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Streamlined is infamous around these parts
"And If you track it I imagine it will be done fairly often like any other tracked car."

Exactly, like any other tracked car with Brembos, etc. As a DD it likely is not much different then any other car of its performance caliber either. In any case, that is not what the OP asked.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can GTR Be Daily Beater