Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Ouch GT-R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 04:27 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
i certainly agree... simply because repeatedly dumping the clutch at 4500rpms and catching grip instantly with about 500hp causes issues with 1 transmission so far, the rest of the other 99.9% cars must be utter crap, and we should all sell them...

Old 10-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I read that there were issues with the tranny fluid overheating. My question to those of you who have tracked your GTRs is have you experienced this yet?

Not trying to stir the pot any further, as we all know I'm not a cheerleader for the car, because Im' not a fan of Nissan's strategy, but Im asking the above question because regardless, I also have concerns for my "MIGHTY" porsche's tranny fluid...

I change mine every track weekend, along with the oil and filter for the engine... If I owned a GT-R, I'd be doing the same thing, because BOTH platforms are heavy and the fluids really do take a beating...

One of the advantages of doing your own work is also a disadvantage with the GT-R, I guess, because you still have to take it in every 1800 miles... For me, that would be a real bummer...

I do the bulk of my own work...

I also am not a Nissan hater...

Just think they are doing the car a dis-service in their marketing/ warranty department!

Mike

Old 10-11-2008, 05:05 PM
GSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by amslb182
As a nissan salesperson after talking with our master tech, the only one authorized at the dealership to be able to work on the cars there are a few scary aspects of the warranty. Nissan states the car either has to be serviced every 18,000 miles, or every 1800 miles, if it is driven in a "racing" manner. If you drive it too fast/harsh and dont have it serviced at this 1800 mile interval say goodbye to your warranty.

WOW!

Old 10-11-2008, 05:08 PM
GSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I read that there were issues with the tranny fluid overheating. My question to those of you who have tracked your GTRs is have you experienced this yet?

Not trying to stir the pot any further, as we all know I'm not a cheerleader for the car, because Im' not a fan of Nissan's strategy, but Im asking the above question because regardless, I also have concerns for my "MIGHTY" porsche's tranny fluid...

I change mine every track weekend, along with the oil and filter for the engine... If I owned a GT-R, I'd be doing the same thing, because BOTH platforms are heavy and the fluids really do take a beating...

One of the advantages of doing your own work is also a disadvantage with the GT-R, I guess, because you still have to take it in every 1800 miles... For me, that would be a real bummer...

I do the bulk of my own work...

I also am not a Nissan hater...

Just think they are doing the car a dis-service in their marketing/ warranty department!

Mike

Doing it yourself=goodbye warranty!
As far as Nissan's marketing strategy, its all about the money. The Skyline was the king for so long (and still is depending on who you talk to) that IMO their trying to make the same thing happen here with the GT-R.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Then Bye bye GT-R!

I won't bother with "ANY" car I can't turn wrenches on... F' that!

Mike

Originally Posted by GSlider
As far as Nissan's marketing strategy, its all about the money. The Skyline was the king for so long (and still is depending on who you talk to) that IMO their trying to make the same thing happen here with the GT-R.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:27 PM
speednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of light
The fact that Nissan would sell a car with a "launch control system" then voids your warranty when one uses it, is fraudulent. Fortunately we have a court system to deal with issues like this. Just because something is written in black and white doesn't make it right(again this is why we have a court system). If the possibility of tranny failure could occur from using/over using launch control then Nissan should not have installed that optioned in the car period. I could understand voiding a warranty for mods but to void a warranty for a feature that came from the factory is ludicrious. I wish him and others like him the best.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:49 PM
AussieRS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by speednme
The fact that Nissan would sell a car with a "launch control system" then voids your warranty when one uses it, is fraudulent. Fortunately we have a court system to deal with issues like this. Just because something is written in black and white doesn't make it right(again this is why we have a court system). If the possibility of tranny failure could occur from using/over using launch control then Nissan should not have installed that optioned in the car period. I could understand voiding a warranty for mods but to void a warranty for a feature that came from the factory is ludicrious. I wish him and others like him the best.
It will be interesting to hear back from any possible cases resulting from this.

I'm thinking I should buy a GTR, race the **** out of it, void the warranty, fight & win the case, and have Nissan refund my payment ... If only

Old 10-12-2008, 02:10 AM
RandomName is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by speednme
ugh. Nissan could simply ship non-launch control version of the car to US and then ppl here will **** and moan about how US gets wash down version of cars here.

Or better yet, Nissan not sell the GT-R here like they did with previous versions of skylines...

Old 10-12-2008, 02:41 AM
Henjie is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GSlider
Then Bye bye GT-R!

I won't bother with "ANY" car I can't turn wrenches on... F' that!

Mike
DIY = not "goodbye warranty" provided you follow what's in the manual.

The manual clearly states that:

"Any Maintenance work except GT-R Performance Optimization Service need not be performed at a GT-R certified NISSAN dealer; However, it is essential that genuine GT-R specified parts be used for fluids, lubricants and consumable parts such as for brake system. It is also recommended replacement of parts, such as for the brake system, be performed at GT-R certified NISSAN dealer."

Old 10-14-2008, 12:49 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Henjie
DIY = not "goodbye warranty" provided you follow what's in the manual.

The manual clearly states that:

"Any Maintenance work except GT-R Performance Optimization Service need not be performed at a GT-R certified NISSAN dealer; However, it is essential that genuine GT-R specified parts be used for fluids, lubricants and consumable parts such as for brake system. It is also recommended replacement of parts, such as for the brake system, be performed at GT-R certified NISSAN dealer."
no need to post facts... they do no good here. you just get in the way of selective rhetoric.

i've taken my gt-r to the track, i've disabled vdc (not at the same time), i've taken my car to the 1/4 strip, and somehow i still have a warranty...

my brakes didn't fade, my transmission didn't overheat (although temps were a concern, as i had no baseline to compare to), and my clutch didn't break.

i learned something from another owner at the track - every gt-r comes with a tow hook (my wife found it - it's in a 'secret' compartment under the passenger floor mat).

perhaps i didn't find it because i didn't read the manual carefully enough. now there is something useful to discuss:

how do you remove that cover on the bumper to screw in the tow hook?

Old 10-14-2008, 03:57 PM
What club did you run with at CMP? What run group were you in? What times did you run?

All this really does impact everything you've done with your car.

I've got guys who drive their 996TTs with stock parts and are very happy with their performances, and when we get to talking, it becomes pretty evident that they aren't running as hard or being as abusive on their equipment because they aren't running as hard...

And uh, Yea, I want facts... There are pros and cons to the GT-R... Just like any other car.

Mike

Old 10-14-2008, 04:28 PM
What club did you run with at CMP? What run group were you in? What times did you run?

All this really does impact everything you've done with your car.

I've got guys who drive their 996TTs with stock parts and are very happy with their performances, and when we get to talking, it becomes pretty evident that they aren't running as hard or being as abusive on their equipment because they aren't running as hard...

And uh, Yea, I want facts... There are pros and cons to the GT-R... Just like any other car.

Mike
you are certainly in the minority, and i wasn't calling you out - specifically.

but seriously - i have a few sessions on vid that once i get, i'll be glad to post here.

everything was stock - i ran with green group (yes, i'm a beginner). first road course event. i had a blast. my wife clocked me unofficially at 1:57. i have no idea what that means, or even if i was off-line because i passed somebody on that lap.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Follow the rules of this thread when talking "lap times". If you have video incar, that'll be good enough... 1:57 is a "reasonable" green run lap time at CMP...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...es-thread.html

As a green run student, you simply will not give that car a hard workout, and won't cause the problems skilled drivers will... If that were the case, we'd really have a lot to crow about!

Mike

Old 10-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Follow the rules of this thread when talking "lap times". If you have video incar, that'll be good enough... 1:57 is a "reasonable" green run lap time at CMP...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...es-thread.html

As a green run student, you simply will not give that car a hard workout, and won't cause the problems skilled drivers will... If that were the case, we'd really have a lot to crow about!

Mike
lol! i figured. i think i've tapped into approx 0.03% of what this car is capable of.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:15 PM
prpsebuilt is infamous around these parts
If you want to buy a track car that REALLY take abuse buy a Mazda Miata. I swear those little bastards get the s_ _ t run outta' em at Summit Point and never fail. That or a Lotus, with the Cosworth engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ouch GT-R