Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

COBB Tunning GT-R vs. GT-Street Tech Art 997 at Willow Springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 01:29 AM
Shinkaze has a spectacular aura aboutShinkaze has a spectacular aura about
COBB Tunning GT-R vs. GT-Street Tech Art 997 at Willow Springs

http://shinkaze.com/2008/10/head2hea...997-gt-street/

As a biased bystander (mine is the Silver GT-R), I have to say the GT-Street wasn't quite performing up to it's full potential. With a good set of tires it would have done better. That said, Sam had never sat behind the wheel of a GT-R until that morning, so this was his first ever experience with a GT-R. The time he put down was stunning considering it's faster than Steve Millen achieved with the 997 GT2 at the same track.

I'll have to ask Claus if that was the same set of tires he ran on the Bullrun, regardless they were done by the end of the day. (then the following weekend another magazine did the same test, poor car couldn't catch a break)

Old 10-17-2008, 10:51 AM
The GT-R is faster than the 911 GT2, I think that is pretty much established now, HOWEVER this TechArt car had a ton of work and should have gone faster than it did and in all fairness I think they could have shaved some significant time off with a fresh set of tires and a quick tweak. I can't say for certain if my stock GT-R would have been able to compete with a GT-Street in full form.

That being said at Texas Mile last Spring I spoke with a 996 GT2 owner whose car was on a 800hp tune, and he said that he gets better road race times on stock power levels because the car applies power more evenly, so it is also possible that the GT-Street may be over powering the wheels slowing the car down. Sam did have a time keep the car straight, and tires would have helped that.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:22 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
which 911 gt2 are you reffering to ? 996 or 997 ? cuase the 997 gt2 will hand the gtr its ***..

Old 10-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by unvmym3
which 911 gt2 are you reffering to ? 996 or 997 ? cuase the 997 gt2 will hand the gtr its ***..
The 996 GT2 that was faster around a track in stock tune was a 996. (We were at the Texas Mile at the time, which is a straight, so he had it dialed up)....we were just having a conversation about track set up, and he said he is faster on stock tune at a road course because the car is more managable.

That was at Texas mile, the Head to Head shoot out was a seperate event on a seperate day.

The track we were at, Willow Springs International Raceway, Both my stock GT-R Prem on Bridgestones and a Stock GT-R base on Dunlops bested the 997 GT2 time of 1:33.57. The pro driver that took my car around had never been in a GT-R before, and did a total of 8 hot laps (4 in the COBB car and 4 in mine), and still posted a better time despite lack of experience. His time in the COBB Tunning car (Which is modified) was a 1:30.1

Different horses for different courses, but it appears that the GT-R is 0.94 Seconds per mile quicker than the GT2 at Willow Springs (1:31.23 vs 1:33.57). Looking at the Nur Numbers (7:29 vs 7:34), it appears the Porsche and Nissan are much closer at the Nurburgring with the GT-R only showing a 0.39 seconds/mile advantage.

I'm sure there are some track setups that favor the GT2, but based on my times from Willow that track appears to heavily favor the GT-R.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:45 PM
prpsebuilt is infamous around these parts
The front of the Porsche reminds me of the P-51 Mustangs ... God that is mean !!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by prpsebuilt
The front of the Porsche reminds me of the P-51 Mustangs ... God that is mean !!
Looked even more mean in person! That GT-Street Kit makes the car look ferocious. Adding Teeth just affirms what your subconsciousness already knows about the car!

Old 10-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by porsherboy
The GTR has beaten the 997 GT2 on various tracks - not just buttonwillow.
It amazes me that this is the second time that the TechArt turbo has gone against the GTR with worn tires. In The first comparison, where the TechArt lost to the Mines GTR and - they said that their tires were worn, and now they are saying the same crap when they lost to Cobb. Hmmmm...i reckon its just excuses excuses from the TechArt guys. Surely, if they lost to the Mines GTR due to worn tires, they would've learnt their lesson and made sure they had better tires this time around.
TechArt probably knew that they wouldn't stand a chance with good tires anyway, so by putting worn tires on - they can at least use that excuse and blame it on the tires.
Actually I don't think the TechArt car caught a break between the two tests for a set of fresh shoes. We had the car first, I think it's next stop was Hachete, so I guess they didn't get new tires on it before the next test.

BTW, to anyone that thinks that manufacturers provide journalists with "ringers" this is a great example about why the reverse is actually true. The press fleet is beat up on like a rental car at an autocross.