Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

ZR1 vs GTR video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
And you might find yourself like a buddy of ours in culpeper Va. did with his NEW 2008 Z06... Cylinder Liner for #7 started leaking at 1100 miles... GM told him to pound sand because he had LGmotorsports do some mods to the car...

It was in CorvetteEnthusiast magazine in November issue, but it now has a new motor that has ZERO oem internals!

Mike

Originally Posted by prpsebuilt
Call me biased but for a couple grand I'll take a used z06 mod it and put down well over 600 hp for half the price. The 427 is a better motor than the zr1 and can take more abuse given the fact that it's NA. Heat soak will kill the zr1 lap after lap. Still an incredible machine from the factory.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Dubbster is infamous around these parts
well what mods did he exactly do that they were unwilling to fix it??? In general in most cases, oem is the way to go to keep the most cash in your pocket in the end of the day, but the price on a vette, idc how fast it is, id expect audi r8 quality throughout the car. that thing is crazy, so much power lol.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
He did a cam and headers... Pretty tried and true... And it's pretty well documented elsewhere that the Z06 has issues with motor failures...

Mike

Old 10-30-2008, 12:24 AM
prpsebuilt is infamous around these parts
All I have done is headers and exhaust (straight pipes). The overall consensus (from my experience) from GM owners and mechanics is that the z06 motor is a better engine. Your friend ? Who knows, you beat something hard enough and it will break. LG does outstanding work and unlike some other tuners they will not modify anything that they feel cannot withstand the intended use.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:47 AM
My friend had the car less than 3 weeks when it was shipped to LG in Texas. You can see the "build" here:

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...89182f8cbb734f

That red winged beast is Jims... The car had 500 break-in miles on it, was shipped out, stayed with LG for about 2 months, and then Jim flew out to test the car at Motorsport Ranch w/Lou. The car had one track day on it, then was shipped back home, where Jim and I did a day at Summit point together, where the car started developing a problem with oil getting into the breather tank... He took it to Mid-Ohio after LG flew a tech out to his home to troubleshoot it... He did three days at Mid-ohio, and then two days at VIR and that when the car went back to LG because of the oil issue... The autopsy showed a cylinder liner on #7 that de-seated itself... According to LG this is a more common occurance than GM is reporting and has been a problem with ALL the LS7 motors...

Jim's car had 1100miles and 7 track days on it and needed a new motor... Fortunately He has the funds to pay for a custom motor that has since proven bulletproof... Can't say that about the LS7, especially with what we dealt with.. Jim is in his 50's and is an awesome driver/instructor and does not beat on his stuff... This car is not used for drag racing at all, and is only a DE build car.

Mike

Old 10-30-2008, 06:29 AM
Wow, that's too bad for him. I guess I am fortunate not have any problems whatsoever. I take your advice in good faith seeings how you have so much experience. I too go to SP quite a bit and talk to many vette owners that rave about the ls7 being a phenomenal engine. Many of these guys have SERIOUS work done with over 40k miles one motor and not one issue. BTW, when LG refers to 'more than what GM claims' are they referring to their experience with the ls7 or the ls7 nationwide ? Seems like a hefty claim if they know this and continue to do the work. Irregardless your post is positve and I appreciate the heads up ... thanks.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:41 AM
I'm just bringing up what I've experienced... I'm well documented over on CF with the problems I had with my C5.

Have you had problems with your dry sump oil lines leaking yet? There's a TSB out on that as well...

Mike

Old 10-30-2008, 11:06 AM
The oil lines are fine. Dammit, now I need to go outside and check.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Sabre002 is infamous around these parts
They love to do burnouts in that ZR1. Thats about the 5th test I have seen that car just melting them lol.

I still would take a Z06 though.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Max.H is infamous around these parts
that burnout at the end was funny. gtr got owned by zr1.