Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

GT-R Transmission goes bye-bye

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 07:08 PM
bond525is is infamous around these parts
I guess someone needs to come out with stronger tranny internals!

Old 12-26-2008, 09:38 AM
prpsebuilt is infamous around these parts
What gets me is how a track superstar is being used as a drag car. The intention of GTR is to be used as a track warrior not a drag car. That said we Americans love the strip, me included but I would never spend that much on a automobile and launch it over 100 times and expect anything but the worse to happen. Just track the SOB !!

Old 12-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Banned
8speed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by prpsebuilt
What gets me is how a track superstar is being used as a drag car. The intention of GTR is to be used as a track warrior not a drag car. That said we Americans love the strip, me included but I would never spend that much on a automobile and launch it over 100 times and expect anything but the worse to happen. Just track the SOB !!
True that, but haven't there been more than a few 1,000 hp GT-R's built for the strip in the past? Just like the Supra, the GT-R is more than capable of blasting down the strip with or without its transmission

Old 12-26-2008, 04:44 PM
shakazulu12 is infamous around these partsshakazulu12 is infamous around these parts
The guy who blew it was basically intending to push it until it failed. He also states that wheel hop on previous runs was likely the primary culprit in the failure. Though many will still have their doubts I'm sure.

Considering the abuse that car is taking, I don't really see the issue with this one blowing. And he will likely have the first strengthened tranny in the country. Hopefully other owners can learn from his experience.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:11 PM
frog_a_lot is a jewel in the roughfrog_a_lot is a jewel in the roughfrog_a_lot is a jewel in the roughfrog_a_lot is a jewel in the rough
Someone go out in a Porsche with 600hp and do launch after launch after launch and push it, and post a video on here when it breaks, see how different the responses are than for a GTR, as many have said, you drive any car like that its going to break sooner or later, so can people please get over the whole GTR tranny thing and stop making these threads.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by frog_a_lot
Someone go out in a Porsche with 600hp and do launch after launch after launch and push it, and post a video on here when it breaks, see how different the responses are than for a GTR, as many have said, you drive any car like that its going to break sooner or later, so can people please get over the whole GTR tranny thing and stop making these threads.
But we're not talking about 600hp plus cars, we're talking about the GT-R in stock form having transmission problems, and the fact that Nissan has by their own admission releasing a statement that they are doing away with their launch control for 2010 because consumers are complaining about spending $20,000 out of pocket for a new transmission. I don't remember another near 100k supercar having severe mechanical issues such as the GT-R under normal aggressive driving conditions and the criticism is justified IMO. If a car company and numerous auto magazines claim that a car can perform to a certain level, then a customer should be able to attain those same numbers with aggressive driving not abusive driving (there is a difference).

Attached Images  

Last edited by 8speed; 12-26-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:47 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Galactus
You are posting this on a Porsche forum where there may be a 20% failure rate on motors in the Boxster and the 996 with the 3.4 liter motor? That is comedy gold....
20%?........where's your proof? You're saying one in five cars has major engine problems? Proove me wrong and I will gladly eat crow

Old 12-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Banned
Very nice, so how come the GT-R fanboys aren't using this as a rebuttal? And why is Porsche ranked #1 by JD Power and Nissan 18th?

I hate the taste of crowj

But to be fair the guy who started the site has only 17 responses and not all of which have reported problems! Where is the one in five you're referring to?

Old 12-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Francesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to behold
They should just stop drag racing it and focus on time attack and see how it holds up.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Kickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to behold
Ive seen you use this JD power survey in other post but I dont think you really can use this as a thorn in Nissans side. This survey is not just a comparison of 997tt over GTR's. Its Nissans whole product line which has cars starting at prices in the teens and ending in the 80s where Porsche's product line starts in the 40s and ends in the 400k area? Porsche should have an advantage in that area. Higher priced cars usually equal higher quality materials,workmanship etc.... In order to sell cars at the prices Nissan does they have to cut corners somewhere

Originally Posted by 8speed
Very nice, so how come the GT-R fanboys aren't using this as a rebuttal? And why is Porsche ranked #1 by JD Power and Nissan 18th?

I hate the taste of crowj

But to be fair the guy who started the site has only 17 responses and not all of which have reported problems! Where is the one in five you're referring to?

Old 12-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Banned
Good point

Old 12-28-2008, 01:34 AM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Kickhard
Ive seen you use this JD power survey in other post but I dont think you really can use this as a thorn in Nissans side. This survey is not just a comparison of 997tt over GTR's. Its Nissans whole product line which has cars starting at prices in the teens and ending in the 80s where Porsche's product line starts in the 40s and ends in the 400k area? Porsche should have an advantage in that area. Higher priced cars usually equal higher quality materials,workmanship etc.... In order to sell cars at the prices Nissan does they have to cut corners somewhere

This is the same when you compare the cheaper Nissan GTR to something like the Porsche turbo or GT2.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:35 AM
Originally Posted by Francesco
They should just stop drag racing it and focus on time attack and see how it holds up.

Why did Nissan advertise a 0-60 and 1/4mile figure? Why did Nissan allow testers to test the GTR in these areas?

Old 12-28-2008, 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by Galactus
http://www.porscheenginefailure.com/

Wow there is a web site created to log all of the failures..... Do I hear birds squawking?....

2 responses?

Old 12-28-2008, 06:39 AM
Francesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
Why did Nissan advertise a 0-60 and 1/4mile figure? Why did Nissan allow testers to test the GTR in these areas?
Majority of companies provide these numbers and test areas, but the big key to the GTR's success was its Nurburgring lap times, but even they brought drama.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT-R Transmission goes bye-bye