Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

GTR v Cobra vid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:00 PM
bruceinmiami is infamous around these parts
you're right that there's a lot of ganging up on godzilla. but not everybody is hating the car. i've repeatedly said i'd like one in my own collection. there's a couple of members on this board who have 1st hand experience with the tranny issues.

nissan is eliminating the launch control feature for the 2nd year cars. you gotta admit that's a little suspicious...
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=140949

Last edited by bruceinmiami; 01-29-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:09 PM
the experience www.insideline.com is having with their early-production car is really scary. but it's not really the fault of launch control, so much as the rest of the car and their dealer not knowing what they're doing. read through this blog. it's really entertaining and informative, since they have other cars (r8, m3, etc.) which serve as comparisons.
http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/V...09-nissan-gtr/

Old 01-29-2009, 08:16 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bruceinmiami
you're right that there's a lot of ganging up on godzilla. but not everybody is hating the car. i've repeatedly said i'd like one in my own collection. there's a couple of members on this board who have 1st hand experience with the tranny issues.

isn't nissan eliminating the launch control feature for the 2nd year cars?
not eliminating... but refining.

currently they deny that such a feature exists. in order to 'launch' the gt-r you must put the controls in r-r-off (vdc-off).

for '10 (and also retrofit option for '09's) there are two changes...

there may be a new option to allow for more intial acceleration in vdc-r mode on (or 'r'). instead of dumping the clutch at 5000rpms, it will be more like brake torquing at 3000-3500rpms...

there will still be the option to launch the car in vdc-off, with a reduced rpm from 5000rpms to 3000rpms. but there is explicit language from nissan, and in the manual, that if you do this, you do it at your own risk. no different than people who do this already.

so my 11.7's might turn into 11.4's or 5's with this new feature.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:24 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
i must confess i started reading that until i saw that the gt-r's limit was supposedly .95, when i can pull 1.5 on stock tires... hell, my kids think it's fun when i corner @1.3g's.

i tried to continue on until i saw that acceleration g 0.3? mine pulls 0.8-9 under full throttle. i'm not sure what they are doing to that car, but i'm having a completely different experience. i'm putting a camera in this weekend for vir. we can see some real time telemetry.

if i don't get it then, i'll be sure to get it on feb 23rd, when i go back.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:04 PM
you might just be better at wringing out your car than insideline.com! you will need a co-driver at VIR

Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 PM
th3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of light
People just get worked up over whatever new car is out and kicks ***. If it breaks, then the people who don't own them just love making up stories....
Examples of some sportscars that have broken on me:

2003 E46 M3 - rod bearing recall (threw a rod through the block)
2006 C6 Z06- went through 3 rear half shafts...
2009 GT-R... no problems, no launch, all smiles.

whatever people, they are machines! Stuff breaks!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 PM
i blew an engine in an m3. oil jet under one of the pistons failed. warranty covered repair (after legal action was threatened of course...)
$9,000 repair at the time.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Banned
8speed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
not eliminating... but refining.

currently they deny that such a feature exists. in order to 'launch' the gt-r you must put the controls in r-r-off (vdc-off).

for '10 (and also retrofit option for '09's) there are two changes...

there may be a new option to allow for more intial acceleration in vdc-r mode on (or 'r'). instead of dumping the clutch at 5000rpms, it will be more like brake torquing at 3000-3500rpms...

there will still be the option to launch the car in vdc-off, with a reduced rpm from 5000rpms to 3000rpms. but there is explicit language from nissan, and in the manual, that if you do this, you do it at your own risk. no different than people who do this already.

so my 11.7's might turn into 11.4's or 5's with this new feature.

That should help stop the internal bleeding over at Nissan but would you really be happy throwing down almost 100 grand for mid 11's? New C63 AMG (60k MSRP) is running 11.5 with a tune.........reach for the stars baby!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by th3Stig
People just get worked up over whatever new car is out and kicks ***. If it breaks, then the people who don't own them just love making up stories....
Examples of some sportscars that have broken on me:

2003 E46 M3 - rod bearing recall (threw a rod through the block)
2006 C6 Z06- went through 3 rear half shafts...
2009 GT-R... no problems, no launch, all smiles.

whatever people, they are machines! Stuff breaks!

Examples of sportscars that have broken on me:

Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2009, 05:13 AM
Originally Posted by 8speed
That should help stop the internal bleeding over at Nissan but would you really be happy throwing down almost 100 grand for mid 11's? New C63 AMG (60k MSRP) is running 11.5 with a tune.........reach for the stars baby!
don't get me wrong... as you can probably see in my avatar - i didn't buy this car for running it on the drag strip. there are tons of cars better for dragging (i.e. the cobra in the title). but this car has cornering and braking, i believe far greater than the compromised mercedes (and my kids still fit). i love amg's, but this transmission in the gt-r is amazing to me. for so many reasons i wouldn't trade in this car (unless it's for an r36).

and my car only costs $79k. i spent the additional $1k for an additional 50whp and 80lb-ft tq (cobb accessport).

Old 01-30-2009, 05:35 AM
you might just be better at wringing out your car than insideline.com! you will need a co-driver at VIR
it's not uncommon... at my last auto-x my average cornering g's was 1.2. the scale on the display resizes everytime you reach a new limit.

by the way, this information on the display is downloadable on the memory card in the console. this is truly a neat feature.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:38 PM
GTR is badass. saw another silver one today and it just looks cool.
not gonna pick up any women with it though!

Old 01-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
almo - then please forgive my hostility... it's just that slamming the gt-r has become the norm on this board... i get it. not everybody likes it. it's not for everybody. what i dislike is the perpetuation of rumors/myths/lies/misinformation. but more than that, i dislike the treatment of people who actually just want to have a discussion, and then get slammed/discredited for it.

You don't have to apologize to me, it's all good.

Cheers,
Allen

Old 01-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Banned
GTR is badass. saw another silver one today and it just looks cool.
not gonna pick up any women with it though!
Good point.....it would be helpful to have a hot piece of a$$ to help sweep up transmission parts off the street .........J/k

Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2009, 10:59 PM
revracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nice
Jasper, forgive my ignorance but does this accessport come with tunes on it and you just upload tunes to the ecu or can you data log and tune it yourself with this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.