Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

GTR v Cobra vid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 03:58 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by revracer
Jasper, forgive my ignorance but does this accessport come with tunes on it and you just upload tunes to the ecu or can you data log and tune it yourself with this.
you don't sound ignorant at all...

you seem to know a lot about the accessport's capabilities.

first - it comes with stage 1 tunes for 91oct, 93oct, 100oct (and i think a 109oct - i'm not sure, never cared to go past 93oct)
this advances timing, adjusts afr, and raises boost

second - it also comes with stage 2 - more of the same, but made for catback exhausts - specifically y-pipe with the secondary cats removed.

it datalogs, reads/resets codes...

but the best part is you can have custom tunes for your mods (from a licensed cobb pro-tuner), store the tune, and use it whenever you want (8 minute flashing process). you can also do e-tunes, if you don't have a local guy at your disposal. ask for a tune, it gets emailed to you, you install it, datalog, send info back, lather rinse repeat until tune is complete. usually guys get this right the first time.

stage 1 already gets 25 more peak hp... but the power under the curve is extraordinary. around 3000rpms - 5000rpms, i gained 50hp and 80lb-ft of tq.

i'm getting my custom stock tune next week. looking to get around 475whp on a mustang dyno. we'll see how that goes...

hopefully that'll buy me time until i get the exhaust i'm looking for (so i can do this all again with more air flow).

Last edited by jaspergtr; 01-31-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:25 PM
th3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of light
^ badass. I've been thinking about this Cobb accessport for a while now but I'm still undecided... but this just gets me thinking.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:04 AM
Memphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Prche951
Well, the GTR guys will argue that their motors are designed to take huge power, so is the supra. But what happens when you put 600+ into a $5k motor? This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyA2O...eature=related
That looks like a 99-02 Cobra to me, they came N/A and I would guess that the car was a stock internal build. The 03/04 Cobras are fully forged and can take a nice chunk of power. Hellion made close to 1200rwhp on a stock internal 03 Cobra.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Banned
8speed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Memphis
That looks like a 99-02 Cobra to me, they came N/A and I would guess that the car was a stock internal build. The 03/04 Cobras are fully forged and can take a nice chunk of power. Hellion made close to 1200rwhp on a stock internal 03 Cobra.
Stock internals with 1200 hp? That doesn't smell right...........the 03 Cobras were the best year to get for modifying!

Old 02-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 8speed
Stock internals with 1200 hp? That doesn't smell right...........the 03 Cobras were the best year to get for modifying!

He is right... 1200 at the wheels has been done. There is more to it and I am one that doesn't like to hide things about how input is gained.

So, regarding the 1200 at the wheels... was made with a twin kit and a funcational eaton working together. Point though... internals can hold quite a bit straight from the factory.

Only down fall with the motors were valve guide issue causing a clicking in the 03 heads but didn't hinder output. The other is a heat build up at 7 but a reroute took care of a better flow to limit heat in the area.

03/04 Cobras with KB/Whipples pushing 600 + to the wheels on 93 have went 100K miles (give or take a few starting off with the stock blower.

FYI... I hold 3 records with the 03/04 Cobra. Community records if you may but it seems to stand throughout the Forum community.

I ended up tossing a live-axle, exhaust, race seats, rear seat delete kit, k-member, added some lighter aftermarket mods and a conical filter and at stock boost (8 to 9 pounds) took the car on a slick to 11.01 @ 126.XX
(444 RWHP)

Turned around with the same platform and added an upper pulley, at 12.97 pounds of boost and took the car to a 10.88 @ 129.XX on a DR with 93 octane. Drove it to and from the track. (479 RWHP, if I recall right)

I then went to an upper and lower pulley at 17.XX pounds of boost and ran a 10.69 at 128.XX on 93 with a can of torco. 497 RWHP)

The car ran 130 traps on DRs at consistant 10.70 and 10.71s still on stock block, stock heads, and stock blower.

I sold it to a local Marine and the same car put down 654 at 19 pounds (if I recall right) on 93 with a KB 2.6 but he and it went to Hawaii and it never made it back to the track in the NE.

Last edited by Almo; 02-02-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:32 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
^^ holy crap that is a ton of power...

Old 02-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by 8speed
That should help stop the internal bleeding over at Nissan but would you really be happy throwing down almost 100 grand for mid 11's? New C63 AMG (60k MSRP) is running 11.5 with a tune.........reach for the stars baby!
my wife got an 11.4 yesterday.

she lined up with an sl65amg with intakes removed, running drag radials. this guy has been running an s/c'd viper, and appears to be quite experienced...

my wife never ran a 1/4 mile at the strip - ever, in anything.

anyway, i'll upload the timeslip later. she got a faster time than he did 11.5 i think.

not bad for a practically stock (stage 1 tune) ttv6 with an inexperienced novice, lining up against a ttv12 with an experienced driver on drag radials.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Memphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Almo
He is right... 1200 at the wheels has been done. There is more to it and I am one that doesn't like to hide things about how input is gained.

So, regarding the 1200 at the wheels... was made with a twin kit and a funcational eaton working together. Point though... internals can hold quite a bit straight from the factory.

Only down fall with the motors were valve guide issue causing a clicking in the 03 heads but didn't hinder output. The other is a heat build up at 7 but a reroute took care of a better flow to limit heat in the area.

03/04 Cobras with KB/Whipples pushing 600 + to the wheels on 93 have went 100K miles (give or take a few starting off with the stock blower.

FYI... I hold 3 records with the 03/04 Cobra. Community records if you may but it seems to stand throughout the Forum community.

I ended up tossing a live-axle, exhaust, race seats, rear seat delete kit, k-member, added some lighter aftermarket mods and a conical filter and at stock boost (8 to 9 pounds) took the car on a slick to 11.01 @ 126.XX
(444 RWHP)

Turned around with the same platform and added an upper pulley, at 12.97 pounds of boost and took the car to a 10.88 @ 129.XX on a DR with 93 octane. Drove it to and from the track. (479 RWHP, if I recall right)

I then went to an upper and lower pulley at 17.XX pounds of boost and ran a 10.69 at 128.XX on 93 with a can of torco. 497 RWHP)

The car ran 130 traps on DRs at consistant 10.70 and 10.71s still on stock block, stock heads, and stock blower.

I sold it to a local Marine and the same car put down 654 at 19 pounds (if I recall right) on 93 with a KB 2.6 but he and it went to Hawaii and it never made it back to the track in the NE.
You sir know your shiz . I believe there are a couple of those compound boost Cobras out there putting down ridiculous power.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:36 PM
BAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of light
For the record and regarding my whatever statement, it was in reference to the first portion of the one post. Not about what the GTR could do with a tune , this and that.
I also took your post as this. Not reffering to the GTR at all. But rather the ability of the Cobra to gain power on the cheap, and very simply.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
I also took your post as this. Not reffering to the GTR at all. But rather the ability of the Cobra to gain power on the cheap, and very simply.
Maybe not the right area to do so but that was my point. All said and done, like it or hate it, the GTR is proving itself and I am warming up to it... but, I am still a bit digareded because all the hype. Not downing the car but that stuff just doesn't sit right with myself is all.

Last edited by Almo; 02-02-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Maybe not the right area to do so but that was my point. All said and done, like it or hate it, the GTR is proving itself and I am warming up to it... but, I am still a bit digareded because all the hype. Not downing the car but that stuff just doesn't sit right with myself is all.
once you sugarcoat the maintenance costs, the car isn't too bad...

now that the launching issue is finally resolved (mine is getting reprogrammed while i'm typing this), the conversations are forced to change. i think we will finally see some decent constructive discussions, and we can focus on the car itself, instead of the politics surrounding it.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
once you sugarcoat the maintenance costs, the car isn't too bad...

now that the launching issue is finally resolved (mine is getting reprogrammed while i'm typing this), the conversations are forced to change. i think we will finally see some decent constructive discussions, and we can focus on the car itself, instead of the politics surrounding it.
I am actually looking forward to following this car.

I am curious to see what the 3.8 on 93 will end up doing at 20 pounds with upgarded turbos and or the addition of other supporting mods that will eventually flood the market.

What kind of fuel system does it run?

Old 02-03-2009, 11:51 AM
What kind of fuel system does it run?
not sure... only because it doesn't pertain to the level of tuning that i require.

for now, i'm keeping the boost at around 15psi, because the actuators can't hold more than that. with actuators, a few have dyno's well over 600whp on a mustang dyno.

the aftermarket is slowly evolving with transmission upgrades, turbo upgrades, actuators, intercoolers, better cooling ducts, rotor replacements (ap racing, alcon, etc...), a ton of suspension upgrades, and of course, 1,647,351.13 different versions of a y-pipe.

i'm getting the stock car tuned tomorrow, and we can see what it can do safely (with stock exhaust).

i'm looking a the typical timing map advancements, afr around 11-11.5, and boost around 15psi.

we'll move on from there later.....

that plus the new launch control, and i'm looking forward to driving it - well, everywhere.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Look forward to seeing the results.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Look forward to seeing the results.
i'll be sure to post them...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.