Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

GTR as a daily driver.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 04:37 PM
toddbee is infamous around these parts
GTR as a daily driver.

I am considering one as a daily driver (15k a year) and was wondering what the maintenance costs would be. brakes, tune-ups, anything else special that may need to be done
Thanks,
todd

Old 02-27-2009, 04:55 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
if you're just daily driving it, you'll see the regular costs of the oil change, diff fluids, brakes, transmission fluid, etc...

oil change - $170
transmission fluid ~$1k every 18,000 miles
if you use brembo brake pads ~$550 - 600 per axle. or $400 for all 4 from carbotech.
the manual recommends changing the rotors with the pads, but this is not required.
tires every 20,000 miles $1600 (from tire rack)

the pos's are free...

Old 02-27-2009, 05:17 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
If you don't shop around and go to the dealer, here is an example paying dealer prices.

This week it was time for my 12K mile service and it was kinda painful. First, let me point out that I asked for the FULL maintenance service. So, some may be able to hold out to 18K miles to pay this. The reason I went for full fluid change is the amount of track/spirited/and otherwise hard driving I have done. And because I will likely have at least 2 or 3 more track days before I hit 18K miles. So, at my request they did the full service.

On top of that, I was hoping I'd be doing a new set of tires next month. As it turns out, even though my tires could have made another 1-2K miles, there was a BIG chunk missing out of one of the front tires on the inside. Maybe would have been okay for another month, but I figured why risk it. So on top of the maintanence costs outlined below, I had to drop $1950 on new rubber all around (includes mounting, balancing, etc). I switched from the RE070s to the Dunlop SP600s.

The 12K Service...
- 11 pts GTR R35 DCT Fluid....................... $880
- + Labor.... $105
- Oil Filter and 6pts Mobil 1 0-40W......... $97
- + Labor.... $95
- 4 pts Diff Fluid............................................ $240
- + Labor.... $105
- In-Cabin Microfilter.................................. $40
- + Labor.... $40
- Brake System - fluids.............................. $50
- + Labor.... $84
- 4 wheel alignment.................. Labor..... $126
- TAX (approx).......................................... ... $115

TOTAL 12K MAINTNANCE COST! = $1977

OUCH!

So between tires and maintenance I just dropped around $4K which will/should carry me the next 12K miles (not including one oil change at 18K). It made me start thinking what can I do to lower this cost?

Well, next time I will shop before the service. I plan to buy all the necessary fluids and take them with me. That should save a couple hundred $s there (hell, the transmission fluid alone you can find for around $55 online. Versus the $80 the dealership charged, that's $275 less right there!). Same thing for tires. I did get them to reduce the tires, but given more time to receive them, I could have still saved another $100 or so ordering them through tire rack.

For just the standard maintenance service tho, I think I could get it closer to $1500 just by taking my pre-purchased (but still OEM recommended) fluids. In addition, I may plan to do things like the brake fluid flush, microfilter, and oil change myself... saving on labor. Just have them do the trans/diff stuff.

Anyway, I'm not *****ing about the cost. I knew it would be an expensive car to own and to enjoy. Just wanted to give everyone an update.

So far, upkeep after purchase has been...
6K Maintenance.... $205
tires (at 12K)......... $1950 (including mounting/balancing/etc)
12K Maintenance.. $1975

TOTAL....................... $4130

Old 02-27-2009, 05:27 PM
wow. more $$ then i thought. more then porsche $$. think alot of $ can be saved at an independent shop? why so much for trans fluid service?

Old 02-27-2009, 05:28 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
germeezy - thanks for the more complete info... i'm too lazy to dig up quotes and internet supply links.

you're right about purchasing the fluids yourself. the tires are much cheaper through tirerack.com.

my dealer's labor rates appear to be lower than yours.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:45 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
After seeing this

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3180553

I started taking a close look, I honestly hated the car and the hype when they came out. It took seeing one modified for me to warm up to it.

The maintenance costs are a little frustrating, I mean my car is heavily modified and everything is custom but it doesn't cost near that much to maintain.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:07 PM
that car looks amazing. what type/size wheels are those.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:09 PM
I forgot to ask. what about brakes? how long do you think they will last with street driving? also i have heard that you cant just place pads, but rotors too. my porsche' brakes have never lasted more then 20k and I know the price of those. Just wondering about the gtr's.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:15 PM
nyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud of
that is by far the nicest GTR I have ever seen.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:23 PM
rcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by toddbee
I forgot to ask. what about brakes? how long do you think they will last with street driving? also i have heard that you cant just place pads, but rotors too. my porsche' brakes have never lasted more then 20k and I know the price of those. Just wondering about the gtr's.
Stillen has AP rotors that are far cheaper and better than the original rotors. Also running Ferodo brake pads instead of the OE will be better and cheaper too. This is the route I will take when my GT-R needs new stuff. Since I wont seriously track my car, Im sure I can get 20k out of the OE rotors.

Trust me, shop around for stuff and you will see the GT-R is no more expensive to service than any other high performance car.

Check these websites out:

thenismoshop.com and speedforsale.com

R

Old 02-27-2009, 08:31 PM
When you drive like I do it would get expensive

Also how much is the dual clutch replacement? I would have to instantly modify the car with the KW coilovers and at least the HKS 570 and the wheels like that Skyline.

The guys run an amazing import tuner shop called Illtech Auto Salon, there are actually 2 GTR's if you look close. One has the BBS LM's and both are modified with one getting the HKS 570 kit I believe. When I met these guys they also had a ZR-1!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:52 AM
xpsonic is infamous around these parts
yeah to replace the clutch on that thing must be a whole lot.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:08 AM
almost everybody i know personally that has tracked the car, has changed the pads without changing the rotors. you'd be fine just changing pads. the dealer's recommendation is to change rotors & pads, but it's just that - a recommendation.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:16 AM
that car looks amazing. what type/size wheels are those.
I forged 22 inch wheels

Old 03-02-2009, 09:44 PM
THose are awesome wheels

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GTR as a daily driver.