Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Production Base GT-R to hit 7:24 at the Nurburgring in April 09

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:12 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Jasper, I like you man...your not like alot of GTR owners who act like they are related to Senna because they own a GTR.

And just so everyone knows, Nissan did not invent anything when they built the GTR. They do have some innovative solutions but just like other cars GTR's have tradeoffs as well.

Me personally cars to me are only a canvas, I hope that over time the GTR will have the aftermarket that cars like mine enjoy.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:36 AM
trumperZ06 is infamous around these partstrumperZ06 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr

i am still a novice (and will be for sometime). i've conceded that this is the wrong car for me to learn to drive on road courses. i'd be better off with a miata or something (my instructor agrees).
Yep... Many of us instructors have had long discussions about the latest cars with electronic aids that enable the newbe's to reach speeds much faster than they would be capable of handling (recovery) in a bad situation.

Hell, it might not even be the driver's fault. Cars have been known to drop oil & coolent on the track occasionally. Now if you're traveling @ ~ 160 mph. down the back straight @ VIR and enter the braking zone on a slippery track, I'm not sure a newbe could handle it.

We don't tell them to turn off the electronic aids... but it does raise the risk factor considerably !!!

This is NOT limited to just the GT-R's... but that car is able to hide mistakes that fool a driver into thinking he's better than he really is, and there's more risk involved than he knows.

Last edited by trumperZ06; 03-20-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:00 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
My friend who raced in Pro-7 and ran Spec Miata's said the exact same thing. It's hard to beat a Miata for a learners track day car, you don't need to be doing ridiculous speed to learn car control. GTR's aren't the only car that do it either, I remember even some of the pro drivers prefer driving the Z06 in competition mode rather than stability off.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:07 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
germeezy - the car certainly gives people a sense of confidence... but it can be dillusional (see white gt-r @ gmr).

trumper - i think that was my point. the car is easy to drive closer to it's limits, but harder to find those extreme limits.

i'd put my novice skill in a gt-r up against an intermediate driver in a z06. i think it would be fun, and honestly i woudn't care if i was slower (less efficient), because i'd be on a road course learning something else.

and that's why i threw in the drag racing thing. if 90% of the z06 drivers can't even beat a gt-r in a 1/4 mile straightline with less weight and more hp (100% of the ones i've seen at my local track), what makes them think they would drive around a road course any faster?

i don't really care anymore about what somebody else can do around a track that i'll never drive. i know what i'm capable of in my car on the tracks that i can drive. why does this crap matter to anyone, except people who live vicariously through magazines?

if it was for advertising purposes, then why didn't they let the press in every time? why the test mules?

i believe that the z06, gt-r, 911t, gt3 etc... are all peers that have different philosophies. i have respect for all great performing cars. porsche would've done well to ignore the press' speculation of 'ring times.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:41 AM
trumperZ06 is infamous around these partstrumperZ06 is infamous around these parts
[quote=jaspergtr;2309782]germeezy - the car certainly gives people a sense of confidence... but it can be dillusional (see white gt-r @ gmr).

trumper - i think that was my point. the car is easy to drive closer to it's limits, but harder to find those extreme limits.

and that's why i threw in the drag racing thing. if 90% of the z06 drivers can't even beat a gt-r in a 1/4 mile straightline with less weight and more hp (100% of the ones i've seen at my local track), what makes them think they would drive around a road course any faste

Hhmmm... the problem with relying on the electronic gizmo's, the driver doesn't learn car control. Now, when the unexpected occurs, he's got no experience in how to react.

Drag racing favors the GT-R for a number of reasons, one of which is AWD. That, and the orginial "Launch Control", enabled the GT-R to put down low ET's, TRAP SPEED is a truer indication of Horsepower.

There are a few Vette pilots that turned low ET's, especially when they changed from the Goodyear run-craps, to better tires.

Go over to: www.corvetteforum.com

look under the C6 Z06 fast list.

2:15's @ VIR are respectable. Three or four years ago, most well driven stock C5 Z06's were turning 2:15's or better. The C6 Z06 is a bit faster.

Cya @ the track,

Trumper

Old 03-20-2009, 09:55 AM
rseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by th3Stig
so besides myself, jasper and kickhard and a few other members of the forum.... NONE of you know how the car actually handles or drives except for the 5 minute rides you got, or the videos you've watched on youTube.
No wonder the number of intelligent posts/blogs overall on the internet dwindle everyday...
Nicely stated.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:28 PM
When bone stock DR cars are trapping 128 and there are a few very low 11's and one in the 10's without DR's....it tells you how truly nasty the Z06 is.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:17 AM
willhahn24 is infamous around these parts
should be interesting to see what the outcome of this is

Old 03-31-2009, 03:42 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by trumperZ06
2:15's @ VIR are respectable.
i just found out a few days ago (over at our other forum) the reason my boost was low for those runs - my car was in limp mode. it is a negative side-effect of my poor cobb tune.

apparently i'm not the only one. i hope cobb can work this out.

so those 2:15's that i have on video are with my car in limp mode.