Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

And I thought Porsche service was expensive...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:31 PM
jxreef is infamous around these parts
I think that crazy, brakes at 6000 miles at around $4000 my Porsche brakes at least lasted to 20,000 miles and cost me to install with front rotors $550.00. I wan't to see how the GTR is going to hold up after 50,000 miles.

Last edited by jxreef; 04-02-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:51 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 05997S
Might explain in part why you can find a shiny new GTR at about any ole Nissan store. The ones I drive by both have two.
you seem to know very little about the gt-r.

enjoy your cars.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:01 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jxreef
I think that crazy, brakes at 6000 miles at around $4000 my Porsche brakes at least lasted to 20,000 miles and cost me to install with front rotors $550.00. I wan't to see how the GTR is going to hold up after 50,000 miles.
where did you hear that brakes cost $4k?

if you were responding to me - i mentioned the pads (track pads), and the tires included in that cost.

the 15" rotors aren't cheap. what size rotors do you have? i believe the 6 piston calipers and 15" rotors offer great stopping performance.

and sure the factory brakes would've lasted until about 20,000 miles, if i didn't track the car 4 times each for 2 days.

approx 4000 miles on my car are either to/from/or on race tracks/auto-x's/dragstrips.

the other 2000 is from commuting/spirited driving. i think those brakes held up for quite sometime. i think we've could've gotten a little more use if the wife and i didn't take car out for a solid 3 hours at one particular track event. the car never got a rest, and the brakes were gone quick. so if i wasn't such an idiot, they would probably still be on my car.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:54 PM
I guess thats right if you are tracking the car so much, and using racing parts.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:44 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
no. it is only 'recommended'.

rcalcaide is right.

who gives a sh*t about 18000 mile service fees costing $1500 or $2000?

i just went through pads, rotors, and tires that total more than twice that before i hit 6000 miles.

are you guys pinching pennies that bad that the service costs on a gt-r are breaking you? you should be aware of this before you buy a car. that performance is going to cost money. perhaps you should invest in a lesser performing car. the maintenance will be cheaper.
Take a deep breath...I'm not here to persecute the GT-R.

If I track my car and run through tires, pads, and rotors...I should expect to pay significantly more to compensate for heavy use. When you take your car in for scheduled maintenance, should you still expect the same? $700 for transmission fluid on a routine maintenance visit.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2...expensive.html

Last edited by bbywu; 04-03-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:17 AM
emturbo has a spectacular aura aboutemturbo has a spectacular aura about
comments are great on the edmunds blog. Bottom line, you gotta pay to play. Hopefully this will make everyone realize there isn't such a thing as cheap horsepower.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:42 AM
rcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bbywu
Take a deep breath...I'm not here to persecutes the GT-R.

If I track my car and run through tires, pads, and rotors...I should expect to pay significantly more to compensate for heavy use. When you take your car in for scheduled maintenance, should you still expect the same? $700 for transmission fluid on a routine maintenance visit.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2...expensive.html
bbywu,
I agree to some extent. But transmission fluid change isnt really "routine" like an oil change. Your required to change it every 18k miles. More frequently if you consistently heavy track the car. Edmunds put 18k miles on there GT-R in 6months! Goes to show how much they love the GT-R.

I would bet 90% of GT-R owners wont touch 18k miles in the first year and a half of ownership. But if you decided to change the tranny fluid yearly regardless of miles and shopped around for a good price. Is $500.00 ($60 bucks a quart @ 8 quarts needed) a year really that bad for this kind of machinery and performance?

R

Old 04-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Buy a vette, same kind of performance, cheaper to run, and the drive train has no issues if you abuse it.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:49 PM
rseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud of
Buy a vette, same kind of performance, cheaper to run, and the drive train has no issues if you abuse it.
Did you go to the ferrari and lamborghini sections and post the same comment?

Good luck getting that same performance out of the vette when the road surface is wet. I await your response...

Old 04-03-2009, 02:29 PM
rcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud of
Yeah all us of us who own GT-Rs, 911's, Lambos and Ferraris should just sell them and run to a Chevy dealer and buy Vettes. Who cares if we can afford the costs of our cars. Vettes are cheaper to maintain and have no issues of reliability whatesoever. The perfect sports car. Who cares about individuality. Lets all drive Corvettes!!!!!!

Search the web, I believe there was a post of a Z06 owner who blew his tranny on the track. Much to his dismay, GM would NOT cover the warranty of the tranny. No manufacturer is going to honor a warranty when there are signs of "abuse".

Last edited by rcalcaide; 04-03-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by rseven
Did you go to the ferrari and lamborghini sections and post the same comment?

Good luck getting that same performance out of the vette when the road surface is wet. I await your response...
Ferrari and Lambo are at a different price range than the Vette or the GTR and those cars are real exotics, you can't compare. I use to have a C6 and had no problems driving when the roads were wet. The Vette does have traction control. The thing is the GTR AKA GODZILLA is not all that it was cracked up to be it was supposed to be the ultimate car, blowing away everthing out there. I have been on twisty roads with my Cayman S and had GTR's losing it on the same turn I just past with no problems. Now with the price of service on a GTR at such a short period of time. I just don't think the GTR is worth it.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:14 PM
i think we've all seen the white gt-r crash video... i think we've seen porsche crashes, we've seen viper, ferrari and honda civic crashes...

doesn't mean that any of those cars are inferior. it just means the driver didn't react properly to the car's situation, either from lack of knowledge, or bad judgement.

i'd welcome your cayman s around any track. and keep in mind i'm just a nobody-novice. i don't think the only story i have to share about a cayman s will favor your position.

if the $500 - $1k transmission fluid change every 18,000 miles is too expensive, then i imagine the $1700 tire change every 20,000 miles will just put you over the top. you should stick to the lesser performance cars... they're certainly easier on your budget.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Kickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to behold
everytime I peek in on the GTR section there is always someone bashing everything about it from information gained on the internet. And as always Jasper and 1-2 others are telling the truth but it seems to no avail on this forum. Pretty sad.......I thought this site was for sports car nuts not sports car bashers..............

Why the hell did 6sp even make this sub forum

Old 04-03-2009, 06:50 PM
it's so the bashing can exist in one place...

Old 04-03-2009, 07:09 PM
ArmyPorsche is infamous around these parts
I can't justify spending that kind of money at a Nissan dealership for the car or the service, but I commend you guys that shelved out the cash for one bad ride

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: And I thought Porsche service was expensive...