Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

And I thought Porsche service was expensive...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:28 PM
MrNurse has a spectacular aura aboutMrNurse has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by rcalcaide
I have a GT-R and I follow the posts on Edmunds Inside line.

They overpaid on all fluids, parts and labor with the dealership they used.
$2k for the 18k mile service is too high! below is a simple analysis of pricing if they shopped.

1. GT-R tranny fluid can be bought for $57.48 a quart at the nismoshop.com. A savings of $230.00 for the 8 quarts needed!
2. GT-R differential fluid can be bought for $41.00 a quart. A savings of $63.00 for the 3 quarts needed.
3. Mobil one synth. oil for the GT-R can be bought for $7.00 a quart. They charged Edmunds 206.00 for an oil change. I paid $159.00 at my Nissan GT-R cert.dealer. Savings=47.00
4. They charged Edmunds $115.00 to install filters!?!?
come on, They could've of done that themselves.
GT-R air filters can be had for $27.00 each. Micro filters at only $33.00. So a savings of 70.00 on filters alone. plus doing it yourself would saved you a total of $185.00!!!!
So shopping around wouldve of saved Edmund's $525.00 easily. And possibly another $150 to $200.00 over excessive labor charges at Edmund's choice of dealership. Edmunds dealership looks to be charging between $115 to 150.00 an hour based on there post. My GT-R certified dealership charges $90.00 an hour.

$2000.00 less a conservative 650.00 for the smart GT-R owner!!! Now were looking at $1350.00 for the 18k mile service. Not so bad after all. Edmunds was looking to service the car without any concern of being smart budget conscious shoppers.

Anything about the GT-R causes wildfire controversy.

R
That can be said for basically any other manufacturer. I think it's the fact that Nissan dealers are charging so much for their prized "supercar".
It's not surprising since everything else GT-R is expensive.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I heard the Spec-V's brakes are $50,000 to replace?

Old 04-04-2009, 08:09 PM
jxreef is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Nycflip22
That can be said for basically any other manufacturer. I think it's the fact that Nissan dealers are charging so much for their prized "supercar".
It's not surprising since everything else GT-R is expensive.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I heard the Spec-V's brakes are $50,000 to replace?
I guess you are going to have to get another loan just for service

Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 PM
rcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jxreef
the Spec-V's rotors are carbon ceramic. Same as the Ferraris. Are they worth 50k? Hell no!!!!

Again, a car like the GT-R is not going to be dirt cheap to own like an Altima just because its made by the same manufacturer. But realistically, If a scheduled service at 18k is gonna cost a GT-R owner $1,500.00. For this kind of technology and performance, is that really so bad? The miles I drive on my GT-R, it will take 3 years to get there.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:31 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jxreef
only if you replace your calipers, rotors, pads, and brake lines with every oil change.

let's see what other smart comments you guys can make.

seriously. nobody here spends $3k on their cars over 3 years? nobody?

this is news to people who supposedly drive performance cars?

oh wait, it's a nissan. nissans can't do 11.5 1/4miles, and stop 60-0 in 100ft, and go over 190mph, and lap tracks as fast as almost any exotic. we should only expect to pay that much when brand names are involved....

sound accurate to everyone here?

Old 04-05-2009, 10:10 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kickhard
Of topic Jasper but do you live near Raeford Rd? My parents live in Fayetteville in a area called Rayconda. Maybe next time i am up that way we can have a little meet.
i drive around there a lot (taking kids to sports/girl scouts, etc...). I hope i didn't **** your parents off.
Originally Posted by bbywu
I think it is disingenuous to say that the costs are on par with the 911 turbo. By 20K miles, just oil changes alone would cost more than the 911. This doesn't even include the transmission fluid change at 18K. I am reading the service manual in front of me...not searching for google information like others.
i think costs are on par with many cars that the gt-r outperforms, and costs fractions of. obviously the transmission is going to cost more. in my opinion it's a better transmission than what they put in the 911t. you're right these can't be compared (as kickhard mentioned). they shouldn't be compared. there is no way on your best day would you ever match the shift times as my wife can get with zero experience. those times shouldn't be compared either.

if nissan put too much money in this car, they'd end up with a car far better than a 911t, end up charging the same amount, and i couldn't afford one anymore.

why in the hell are people looking at manuals for cars they don't even own? who does that? seriously? are they trying to justify to themselves why they shouldn't get one? or trying to convince the people who bought one, it was a bad decision? good luck with that. there are no secrets with this car, and people who buy this car know exactly what they are getting. the only 'secrets' are the misinformation floating around here. if you never shop around for the best deals, always expect to pay msrp or more, then yes, service is going to cost you... but then, you probably don't care about money at this point in your life, so again, who cares?

Originally Posted by th3Stig
what's the point? if you like it buy it. done.
well said. on the flip side, if you don't like it, don't buy it. just don't complain or come up with excuses about why a gt-r passed you on the track, or on the 1/4 strip.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:32 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
why in the hell are people looking at manuals for cars they don't even own? who does that? seriously? are they trying to justify to themselves why they shouldn't get one? or trying to convince the people who bought one, it was a bad decision? good luck with that. there are no secrets with this car, and people who buy this car know exactly what they are getting. the only 'secrets' are the misinformation floating around here. if you never shop around for the best deals, always expect to pay msrp or more, then yes, service is going to cost you... but then, you probably don't care about money at this point in your life, so again, who cares?
One word....zealot. Seriously...is this how you speak to people in every day life? Did you see me respond in kind?

If I disagree with what you say, you make a personal reference as part of your argument. You can try and interject as many distractions into this thread, and try and deviate from the original post...it doesn't change the fact that you are wrong. I'm not comparing performance, I'm not comparing quality of the oil, I'm not comparing how quickly you run through tires, pads and rotors. These are all distractions. Since this thread is clearly winding downhill, I'll say it again to tie it to my original post:

At the same time interval the GT-R costs substantially more to maintain than the 997TT.

Last edited by bbywu; 04-05-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:36 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
...just don't complain or come up with excuses about why a gt-r passed you on the track, or on the 1/4 strip.

I hope your bravado holds up when a better driver laps you...after all, no computer or transmission is going to make you a better driver...and there is ALWAYS someone faster than you...911 or GT-R owners alike.

Last edited by bbywu; 04-05-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:46 PM
i've got to be the worst driver on any track... it's the car that is fast. i'm just the monkey behind the wheel. clint bowyer may have made mention of me.

that whole thing with the manual just made me laugh uncontrollably. i've never even heard of a person reading a manual of a car he/she appears to never want to own.

i'm curious as to what type of personality requires this.

of course the transmission is going to cost more to maintain, it is a different part. who doesn't understand that different items may cost more or less?

who's goal was it to make the maintenance also cost less than a 911t?

and how many 20,000mile intervals would you have to go through to add the extra $50k to the price of a gt-r to then equal the cost of a 911t?

i guess this i just never took you seriously from the beginning, hence my posts - my apologies. it appears that people who never intend to by the gt-r are still trying to find reasons to feel good about their choice.

if you were seriously considering getting one, i think your posts would've been different, and likewise with my reaction. but it didn't appear that you were, and it appeared that everyone else here was just throwing rocks, pointlessly, at a car that isn't suited for them (read: not better or worse - just different).

Old 04-05-2009, 09:53 PM
lol! i got negative rep'd with a comment of:

gt-aaarrrrrrhhhh is sloooooooowwwwwww
lol! the gt-r is slow. let's look at all of the other 'slow' cars that run mid-11's. right on man!!!! i'm with you all the way.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:58 PM
if you were seriously considering getting one, i think your posts would've been different, and likewise with my reaction. but it didn't appear that you were, and it appeared that everyone else here was just throwing rocks, pointlessly, at a car that isn't suited for them (read: not better or worse - just different).
Just take a look at my sig...I had considered it, but I opted for something a little more track oriented. Anyways, this thread is getting close to dying. None of it was meant as insult, but any thread with the words 911 and GT-R always seem to get out of hand...and you're not the only one that got neg rep points...

If you're ever in Wisconsin - drop me a line...we'll do Road America.

Last edited by bbywu; 04-05-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:04 PM
i'd love to do road america...

the gt-r, when tracked, gets a little pricey for sure. i'm still waiting for the toyo r888's to come out in a better size. i found cheaper (better) pads & rotors. inexpensive fluids that satisfy warranty concerns... just gotta find some decent track tires, and the costs will go down.

a large part of the costs involve the transmission, and the weight (again with the brakes/tires). but that's also what makes it insanely streetable to the average person driving it everyday.

if you have a car that does most things very well, it is doomed to not to anything perfectly.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:44 AM
Kickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bbywu
At the same time interval the GT-R costs substantially more to maintain than the 997TT.
Again it is not Substantially more. Define what you think is substantially more? You must not have read my post about the price of service.