Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Base GT-R lobs 7:38 Nordschleife Supertest Lap Time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:50 PM
EtherSpill is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Guibo
How are you sure that he is not?
Because when you read the paragraph in its entirety it's very clear what the writer means to convey.

He clearly said there were some dry conditions at VIR. "The tarmac went from wet to dry" could mean one of 2 things:
1) He is either talking about the track at first being wet, then drying as the day wears on (as you are saying), or
That is precisely what he means. The cars in the earlier groups dried the track for the cars in the later groups. He states explicitly, the Nissan was driving on a wet track for the early runs. If he had meant the track was a mix of wet and dry, he would have stated as much. You're reading too much into what was written and coming up with a "creative" interpretation.

Let me ask you this, do you think a GT-R shod with some high performance rain tires (maybe Goodyear eagle F1's if they could be fit) would be more competitive with a GT3 or GT2 in the rain? I certainly do.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by EtherSpill
Let me ask you this, do you think a GT-R shod with some high performance rain tires (maybe Goodyear eagle F1's if they could be fit) would be more competitive with a GT3 or GT2 in the rain? I certainly do.
I think it would be more competitive than with the Bridgestones, though I'd accept that lap times could still be way off. Just conjecture.

Last edited by Guibo; 06-22-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:48 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BD-
Ask any racer, any real racer, and he'll tell you. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch, or whether you win by a mile, winning is winning.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Whoa, whoa. You cannot conclude 100% that that is precisely what he means. When someone mentions that the tarmac goes from wet to dry, they could very well mean a mixture of both.
If we go by your theory, he said that both of the first 2 sessions at VIR went from wet to dry. This means that in the 1st session, the track was also going from wet to dry. Are One Lap organizers so psychic that they can predict that 2 different lapping sessions would both start out wet and end up dry?? If the track was completely dried by the 2nd session, why was he still languishing down near 40th place? By the 3rd session, in which the track did not go from wet to dry, he finished 7th.
Notice he did not use this as a crutch for explaining his low finishing positions, merely underscoring the behavior of the GT-R in different conditions.
I'm not going to even try to follow that tortured stream of reasoning. The track was predominantly wet for the GT-R's first two sessions. It had dried by the third. You're making this much more complicated than it really is. You would have us believe that the GT-R, with it's AWD and trick differential system was more hampered by this theoretical mix of wet and dry than it was during a downpour at the Texas speedway. That is just nonsensical. Furthemore, trying to use One-Lap rankings, a compeitition which is a free-for-all with a thousand different variables, to gauge a car's relative performance from one event to the next is an inexact science at best. The DR test was FAR more controlled.

I think it would be more competitive than with the Bridgestones, though I'd accept that lap times could still be way off. Just conjecture.
So you're agreeing that when the AWD system has traction to work with, it can be more effective. The car is not so heavy that a few wet or oily patches on a predominantly dry Nurburgring put it at a disadvantage relative to a HiPo RWD GT2. Hey, now we're getting somehwere.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
So you're agreeing that when the AWD system has traction to work with, it can be more effective. The car is not so heavy that a few wet or oily patches on a predominantly dry Nurburgring put it at a disadvantage relative to a HiPo RWD GT2. Hey, now we're getting somehwere.
The car is not so heavy...again, how do you know this? How many kg's is enough? 280kg's isn't exactly a minor difference. Take a look at Angstkurve: The difference in tires can't possibly explain how much slower CH was in the GT-R, while HvS was 5 mph faster than in the GT2 in the dry.
I'm not so sure what you're tyring to prove with all of this conjecturing. Are you saying the GT2 would be, say, 20 seconds clear of the GT-R if both were driven in the dry?

Old 06-22-2009, 04:34 PM
The car is not so heavy...again, how do you know this? How many kg's is enough? 280kg's isn't exactly a minor difference. Take a look at Angstkurve: The difference in tires can't possibly explain how much slower CH was in the GT-R, while HvS was 5 mph faster than in the GT2 in the dry.
I'm not so sure what you're tyring to prove with all of this conjecturing. Are you saying the GT2 would be, say, 20 seconds clear of the GT-R if both were driven in the dry?
No, not at all. I think the GT2 would be a few seconds faster in the dry (EDIT: by that I mean a few seconds added to the difference of 6.9 seconds DR came up with), but that's vs. a GT-R on Bridgestones, just like the car was configured during the DR test. This is very important to note because that's the context in which Harris makes his conclusion. I fully believe that a 7:38 time represents very close to the max potential of the GT-R on Dunlops. And Nissan themselves states that the Dunlops are good for at least 5 seconds over the Bridgestones. So, take the 7:33 for the GT2 and compare to 7:38+5 for the GT-R and you have a 10 second delta. Doesn't that make sense and seem fair?

Last edited by EtherSpill; 06-22-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:15 PM
No, not at all. I think the GT2 would be a few seconds faster in the dry (EDIT: by that I mean a few seconds added to the difference of 6.9 seconds DR came up with), but that's vs. a GT-R on Bridgestones, just like the car was configured during the DR test. This is very important to note because that's the context in which Harris makes his conclusion. I fully believe that a 7:38 time represents very close to the max potential of the GT-R on Dunlops. And Nissan themselves states that the Dunlops are good for at least 5 seconds over the Bridgestones. So, take the 7:33 for the GT2 and compare to 7:38+5 for the GT-R and you have a 10 second delta. Doesn't that make sense and seem fair?
It doesn't sound outrageous. I think the margin is lower than that, but it's not really worth discussing this miniscule difference. We'll have to agree to diasagree.
A 7:43 sounds about right, for HvS driving a GT-R on Bridgestones at something less than 100% in unknown conditions and only ~8 laps. That's not to say that another driver, living with the car for months/years, testing day in and day out to the point he can drive the car like he's signing his own name, couldn't be faster with perfect conditions and driving 100% for sure. And we already have the lap and telemetry of Nissan doing the 7:38 with Bridgestones with some wet sections of track.
We also know 7:33 is not the best the GT2 can do. Rohrl ran a 7:29 while passing multiple cars during that lap.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:44 AM
gp900bj is a splendid one to beholdgp900bj is a splendid one to beholdgp900bj is a splendid one to beholdgp900bj is a splendid one to beholdgp900bj is a splendid one to beholdgp900bj is a splendid one to beholdgp900bj is a splendid one to behold
I can't believe that this debate is still going on. Honestly, Nissan's claims about what the GT-R can or cannot do do not matter any more.

The (original) topic of this thread is living breathing proof that the GT-R slams it's competitors hard. A 7:38 lap time makes a righteous mockery of those foolish people who believed that the GT-R is a 7:55 car.

Now that the Supertest has been completed, there is nothing to debate.

I know for a fact that there are numerous folks on this forum who were desperately hoping that the GT-R would flop during it's Supertest.

This thread is dedicated to you,

Cheers. GP

Old 06-23-2009, 04:33 AM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
7:38 also makes a mockery of those that believed that the car can do 7:26.

The GTR was basically beaten by the GT3 in all categories of the test apart from the Nurburgring run. We arent even talking Enzo or Zonda here, its just a GT3.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:44 AM
Originally Posted by airtrackk
Another solid use of MonaroWin and MonaroLogic!!!!!

Win by default....hahahahah, like Charlie said.....Federer won this year only because Nadal was hurt, and since Nadal has dominated Federer on the clay in the past....so Federer won this year by default. Hey Monaro you are right, Federer should just turn in his trophy

Yup you got it exactly 100% correct, GT-R only wins when others don't finish the race faster than it and of course that ain't really winning.

According to airtrackk's logic this skater below was the best and fastest out of the group, afterall he did win it didnt he?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfQMJtilOGg

Old 06-23-2009, 04:46 AM

Fact is that it was still beaten by the GT2 and GT3 on the same day using the same driver.

Fact is that the car has never gotten close to a 7:26 time stock.

Care to argue facts?

Old 06-23-2009, 04:59 AM
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
Fact is that it was still beaten by the GT2 and GT3 on the same day using the same driver.

Fact is that the car has never gotten close to a 7:26 time stock.

Care to argue facts?
I never said the GT-R would beat the GT2 on the same day using the same driver.
The fact is the GT3 was given twice as many laps, was in LHD which the driver was used to (he wasn't used to the RHD GT-R)
The fact is HvS had far much less seat time than Suzuki.
HvS (on the fly) was 16 seconds slower than GM (from a dead stop). If you want to insist that Nissan cheated on the basis of 12 seconds, then so did GM (on the basis of 16+ seconds).
Rohrl's time in the CGT has varied by 9 seconds; and it is not yet proven that the 7:28 was done on a closed track.
You were wrong in saying the GT-R could never post a sub-7:40 time, on the basis of its power and its weight.
Those are the facts.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:11 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
^ Monaro won't acknowledge all of those... It will hurt his agenda.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:23 AM
kp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to allkp117 is a name known to all
Until Monaro admits GTR>997TT, which he was obviously wrong on from the beginning, how can anything he says be taken at face value. By him not admitting he was wrong on saying the 997tt was faster than the GTR, it explicitly reveals he has an axe to grind and is incapable of the balanced reasoning he is feigning. MonaroFail

Old 06-23-2009, 06:47 AM
How about it, monaro? Can you at least admit the Turbo is slower than the GT-R? You say that the 5 seconds separating the GT-R and the GT2 in the supertests isn't close. Then the 16 seconds separating the GT-R and the Turbo (with ceramics and Cups) must be an eternity. Your entire agenda has been based on faulty theories, all of which have been debunked. Deep down, I bet you still think a CTS-V is capable of a 7:38 in HvS's hands, right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Base GT-R lobs 7:38 Nordschleife Supertest Lap Time