Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Base GT-R lobs 7:38 Nordschleife Supertest Lap Time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:00 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Guibo
AMus / Sport Auto lap charts show the Doettinger Hohe speed some distance before the curve. The same is true for the Drivers Republic test. So whatever the ZR1 is doing in the curve is irrelevant. The fact remains that the ZR1 lost speed on the uphill climb, where most other cars are still accelerating, as a function of its overly tall gearing, the incline, and the strong headwind. In any case, which production-spec GT-R hit 169 mph at the kink?
The point is: it's useless to compare ZR1 vs GT-R straight speeds because the conditions were vastly different. You can't draw a conclusion about cheating.
What you CAN do is estimate the 7:29 GT-R's speed at a similar point (before the kink), using Nissan's telemetry chart; you'll find that it is close enough to the AMuS test (and the DR test, for that matter) without resorting to claims of "cheating" to explain the small difference.

So you are saying that HvS did not drive the Z06 to the best of its capabilities. Isn't it a bit premature to assume that he did with the GT-R?
I have not seen the HvS lap video with the standard C6. Do you have a link to that? I'd like to see how HvS is losing 16-19 seconds to GM's test drivers.
LOL, thanks for posting this.

So the Sport Auto car hit 275 kph at Dottinger as it's top speed on the straight, yet Nissans car hit 289 kph (TWICE). That's still a 10 mph difference in straight speed. Now 2 GT-R's that are massively slower on that same straight than Nissan's car. You can only cry conditions for so long before you start to smell the coffee. And that was the original 7:29 GT-R that hit 180 mph, the one that hit 7:26 could have very well been even faster. And Suzuki lifted in the 7:29 car before the kink but still managed 180 mph.

Given the tires tested, and drivers, it makes perfect sense that HvS was very close to the maximum potential in the GT-R. There is not another 11-12 seconds in a car that's 10 mph slower on the straights, combine all of the long straights and 5 mph here, 8 mph there really start to add up.

If anything this further confirms that Nissan was using more power just like I've stated from the beginning.

The original GT-R is a mid 7:40's car, the US version a low 7:40's and the newest one mid-high 7:30's. But Nissan has claimed 7:38 - then 7:29 then 7:26. If you go back to his 7:50 time for the fabreicthe (sp) then add Dunlops -8 seconds, then the updates (2-3 seconds), the data is consistent. I bet that other car was 10 + mph slower on the back straight too. Making it 3 CARS.

The deviation in times is not consistent for you to pick any car and compare lap times. Horst has driven the GT-R several times and was at one time recruited for testing the vehicle during ring developement, so he's definitely familiar with the car. Getting in a Z06 or C6 was likely his first time ever in those cars and on some sucky tires.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:37 AM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Kickhard
Even with that package I think it still dynos with less power than the ZR-1 so I would expect it to win especially with the weight advantage.
Originally Posted by Kickhard
WTF is wrong with you and your brain dude. I expect the ZR-1 to win in a roll race with the GTR in question modded. ZR1 is lighter and clearly has more power. You even clearly dont know what that GTR was modded with calling its mods bigger turbos? Maybe you misunderstood what I posted? Hell I dont know.

Now facts and facts only, none of these speculations presented as facts. These dyno numbers were presented by a 6speedonline forum member and sponsor Eugene @ SPE, and according to him they (SPE) "have seen some impressive gains from this setup".

The GTR that raced against the CGT, ZR1 could potentially be running on much higher boosts and on race fuel. It could potentially be putting out as much rwhp as the ZR1 and CGT has fly wheel hp. Note that the ZR1 has 638fwhp while the graph below has the GTR rated at 629.4rwhp (at 1.2 BAR), also note the increase in power of the modified GTR over the base GTR (which in itself seems to be a very very healthy example - with some publications dynoing at around 410rwhp).

BASE VS HKS GT570 KIT 91OCT

BASE VS HKS GT570 KIT 100OCT STAGE 2 AP CUSTOM MAP

BASE VS HKS GT570 KIT 109OCT STAGE 2 AP CUSTOM MAP

Old 06-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Saying it is geared a lot different than any other Corvettes tells us nothing...if Corvettes in general have extremely tall gearing. Which they do. 6th gear in the ZR1 is quite a bit taller than the GT-R. The fact that the ZR1 lost 3 mph after his shift, and it stayed at ~174 mph forever, tells us the tall gearing is taking its toll (in addition to the wind and incline). The GT-R does not lose speed on the way up the hill; it steadily gains it.
The ZR1 has a close ratio and very nicely spaced set of cogs, especially when you consider the fact that the ZR1 has some crazy amounts of torque at its disposal that would make any manufacturer (bar Dodge) cry for mercy.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
Gear Type
Close Ratio 6-Speed Manual
Final Drive3.42:1
1st Gear Ratio2.29:1
2nd Gear Ratio1.61:1
3rd Gear Ratio1.21:1
4th Gear Ratio1:1
5th Gear Ratio0.81:1
6th Gear Ratio0.67:1

2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06

Gear Type
Tremec 6 Speed Manual
Final Drive3.42:1
1st Gear Ratio2.66:1
2nd Gear Ratio1.78:1
3rd Gear Ratio1.3:1
4th Gear Ratio1:1
5th Gear Ratio0.74:1
6th Gear Ratio0.5:1

R35 Nissan GTR

Gear TypeGR6 dual clutch transmission
Final Drive3.700
1st Gear Ratio4.056:1
2nd Gear Ratio2.301:1
3rd Gear Ratio1.595:1
4th Gear Ratio1.248:1
5th Gear Ratio1.001:1
6th Gear Ratio0.796:1

Last edited by monaroCountry; 06-15-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Saying it is geared a lot different than any other Corvettes tells us nothing...if Corvettes in general have extremely tall gearing. Which they do. 6th gear in the ZR1 is quite a bit taller than the GT-R. The fact that the ZR1 lost 3 mph after his shift, and it stayed at ~174 mph forever, tells us the tall gearing is taking its toll (in addition to the wind and incline). The GT-R does not lose speed on the way up the hill; it steadily gains it.

There have been several tests that clearly show othger cars easily beating the GTR when it comes to straight line speed, the GTR has an extremly short gearing, a clearly lower power, and a heavier mass (the aero is still up in the air since no one has actually tested it aapart from Nissan, their figures are questionable as it is). So how is it that the GTR can keep up with the ZR1 around the Nurburgring's long straight (along with other more superior cars)? Why are the independently tested cars far slower along that same straight?

Last edited by monaroCountry; 06-15-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:19 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Of course its gearing is taller than the Vette's, and every other car in its class as well. My point is all other Vette's attain max velocity in 5th gear, the ZR1 is designed to and geared to pull all the way to redline in 6th gear. I am no engineer but maybe 605 lb ft and 3350 lbs at the kerb might help with its gearing?

Old 06-15-2009, 09:21 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
So you're saying the difference between a Magnussen optimal lap and HvS's lap is likely 10+ seconds (if both had rolling starts).
How about the 16-19 seconds difference between C6 times?
You haven't seen a wide variation in Z06 times because there are only 2 known published tests of the Z06 on the 'Ring. Maybe nobody cares enough to test it more. BTW, people here (and on rennteam) have doubted GM's times before...
So how about it? Explain to me how the ZR1 outruns the 900-hp mid-engined Koenigsegg running non-runflat tires.

Again you have someone with 7 posts questioning someone with over 1,000 posts on wether he knows what he is talking about. If I had no idea what I was talking about I would have been tarred and feathered by now! Where do you guys find these internet warriors to join the GTR's minions at?

Old 06-15-2009, 09:26 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
^ On Porsche forums!

Seriously... He has a lot more relevant information about other cars that have been brought up (i.e. ZR-1) than I'm aware of...

I'm not familiar with cars that I'm not interested in purchasing.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:26 AM
10 mph on the straight doesn't require any more power Heavy Chevy and Monaro. He just carried 10 mph more speed thru the previous corner.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by heavychevy
LOL, thanks for posting this.

So the Sport Auto car hit 275 kph at Dottinger as it's top speed on the straight, yet Nissans car hit 289 kph (TWICE).
AMuS. 275 kph was its top speed at that point on the straight. How do you know it didn't hit 290 kph (or damn well near it) after the kink going into Tiergarten, which is where the 7:29 car hit its top speed? Both the ZR1 and GT2 hit their highest speeds on the downhill plunge into Tiergarten, not at the straight before the left-hand kink at Antoniusbuche. (Rohrl said he hit 310 kph with the GT2 going into Tiergarten.)
The first time Nissan's car hit 290 kmh was clearly due to wheelspin as a result of going airborne, just before Schwedenkreuz. Listen to the audio on the run: the revs rise rapidly. And check out the totally non-linear rate of change in speed on the graph.

At that point (around 1:09.x into the lap) it was going about 266 kph (165 mph). The AMuS GT-R, apparently with passenger, was only 6 kph slower.
Chris Harris went airborne at the same point in the GT-R as well.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by germeezy1
Of course its gearing is taller than the Vette's, and every other car in its class as well. My point is all other Vette's attain max velocity in 5th gear, the ZR1 is designed to and geared to pull all the way to redline in 6th gear. I am no engineer but maybe 605 lb ft and 3350 lbs at the kerb might help with its gearing?
Sure, it helps. But apparently not enough if it's losing speed where it should be gaining. After you multiply at-the-wheels torque for both cars (at 5200 rpm for the ZR1, which is where the revs were after the shift, and 5350 rpm for the GT-R at 171 mph) by their overall 6th gear ratios, the difference isn't as great as you think. Based on the edmunds.com comparo, which placed both cars on the same dyno, the GT-R may actually have more torque at the wheels.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by germeezy1
Again you have someone with 7 posts questioning someone with over 1,000 posts on wether he knows what he is talking about. If I had no idea what I was talking about I would have been tarred and feathered by now! Where do you guys find these internet warriors to join the GTR's minions at?
So, no explanation for the 16-19s gap between GM and HvS's time with the C6 Corvette? Or how the ZR1 outruns the 900-hp Koenigsegg? I thought so.

Last edited by Guibo; 06-15-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
And Suzuki lifted in the 7:29 car before the kink but still managed 180 mph.
The hell he did. Nissan's telemetry says he didn't. It says he stayed flat on the throttle. So does the video. Watch 7:07-7:10 on the timer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBZ5i15yVU8
The revs are unwavering. No lift.

See? Peak speed reached at Tiergarten AFTER the kink. Not on the straight part of Doettinger Hohe where Sport Auto, Auto Motor und Sport, and Drivers Republic took their readings.

Now, look at AMuS: Their Doettinger Hohe speed is taken some ways BEFORE the kink. Between this point and the downhill plunge into Tiergarten, the ZR1, GT2, and GT-R continue to accelerate overall.

Last edited by Guibo; 06-15-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
There have been several tests that clearly show othger cars easily beating the GTR when it comes to straight line speed, the GTR has an extremly short gearing, a clearly lower power, and a heavier mass (the aero is still up in the air since no one has actually tested it aapart from Nissan, their figures are questionable as it is). So how is it that the GTR can keep up with the ZR1 around the Nurburgring's long straight (along with other more superior cars)? Why are the independently tested cars far slower along that same straight?
The AMuS car is not far slower along that same straight. The difference, at the same point, is only a few kph. AMuS apparently tested with a passenger too.
Drivers Republic? Part of the lead-up corner (Galgenkopf) was damp. Antoniusbuche line was damp, so Chris Harris lifted and lost 8.2 mph; Suzuki was flat, so gained speed at that point.

Whatever happened to "not a single publication has come within 15 seconds of Nissan's time," or "a time under 7:40 is optimistic, 7:50 shows the true potential of the GT-R"?

Regarding aero, did you see the Hennessey GTR600 (700 hp, with racing octane and increased boost) video 0-300 kph video? It did 250-300 kph in ~9.4s. The ZR1 in the Motor Trend test did the same in 18.1s, the stock GT-R in 28.1. Which makes me wonder about that particular stock GT-R. Nissan has sent a GT-R for testing before that was slower in a straight line than BMW M3's, so...

Old 06-15-2009, 07:05 PM
So, no explanation for the 16-19s gap between GM and HvS's time with the C6 Corvette? Or how the ZR1 outruns the 900-hp Koenigsegg? I thought so.

Did you fail to notice several instances where HvS nearly lost it with the ZO6? Even then GM's time of 7:42 and HvS's time of 7:49 is allot lower than the GTR's time (again in the ZO6). I guess Nissan is one of the very few where HvS have had several goes and even an invite from the manufacturer to test its cars and assess it.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
Did you fail to notice several instances where HvS nearly lost it with the ZO6? Even then GM's time of 7:42 and HvS's time of 7:49 is allot lower than the GTR's time (again in the ZO6). I guess Nissan is one of the very few where HvS have had several goes and even an invite from the manufacturer to test its cars and assess it.
How do we know he did not nearly lose it with the GT-R? That's right. You don't know. How do you know he went 100% in the GT-R? You don't. There is strong indication that he did not go 100%, that he left a few seconds left on the table.
GM's time is closer to 7:41, if they used a flying start instead of a standing start. That makes the difference 8 seconds. Which is not "allot" lower than the difference between Nissan and HvS times.

But wait. Did you fail to notice the 2 cars I specifically mentioned in my post? Why are you ignoring these?
1) Hvs is 16-19 seconds slower in the C6 Corvette than GM.
2) 900-hp Koenigsegg beaten by a poorly driven ZR1 with a headwind

Or how about these?:
3) HvS is 16 seconds slower than Porsche's time in the Turbo.
4) HvS is 7 seconds slower in the Murcielago than Chris Harris (Autocar).
5) HvS is 8 seconds slower than Basseng in the Zonda F; and even Basseng's lap was not optimal: the Zonda was misfiring near the end of the lap, and Basseng was slower in 2 corners than HvS.

Do you care to know what the 7:29 GT-R's estimated speed was at the same point as those other cars on Doettinger Hohe? I can almost guarantee you it's not 290 kph.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Base GT-R lobs 7:38 Nordschleife Supertest Lap Time