Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Performance upgrade options/packages?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Performance upgrade options/packages?

What are they for the GTR's? And yes, I have done a search and I could not really find much info on this topic (just tons of threads about GTR vs Porsche, lol). Lets start w/ the basic flash exhaust and go up to bigger turbos/downpipes etc. How far can one go on the stock block?

I know that John (Henessey) has some packages (called Sumo) but what are the other options, prices, reliabilty issues?

Thanks.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:37 PM
blkdrago has much to be proud ofblkdrago has much to be proud ofblkdrago has much to be proud ofblkdrago has much to be proud ofblkdrago has much to be proud ofblkdrago has much to be proud ofblkdrago has much to be proud ofblkdrago has much to be proud ofblkdrago has much to be proud of
Alright let's start with the ARC Intercoolers for 5k, it takes advantage of every square inch of space available for these side mount intercoolers. Good cooling, temperatures 30-40 degrees cooler than stock. Easily the best side-mount intercoolers available for TT/VR4. Only thing that keeps this kit from being a 10 is price, which is a bit steep.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:38 PM
blkdrago has much to be proud ofblkdrago has much to be proud ofblkdrago has much to be proud ofblkdrago has much to be proud ofblkdrago has much to be proud ofblkdrago has much to be proud ofblkdrago has much to be proud ofblkdrago has much to be proud ofblkdrago has much to be proud of
Then you got the TiTek Innovations Stainless Turbo Outlet pipe that will help open up the exhaust flow straight off of the turbo. These outlets will bolt up to the downpipe and then to the rest of the exhaust. Price range of mid $700.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:39 PM
Denn you have the ARC Titan Silencer Exhaust Systems, which is equipped with a ARC performance muffler boasting a one-piece perforated stainless steel core. No louvers, no baffles, no sharp turns, just a straight path to increased horsepower and torque Performance. Makes Joe happy but it also hurt his wallet for its 7k price tag!

Old 05-31-2009, 10:39 PM
BUT if you want to keep your exhaust system you might as well get the TiTek Midpipes which introduces their Mid Pipe to finish up your axle back exhaust for a stealthy upgrade. This item will greatly increase horsepower by maximizing exhaust flow and is an easy bolt on upgrade for 2k.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:40 PM
The * world * famous * Carbonetic * Carbon LSD * provides linear and stable traction during acceleration and deceleration, and regardless of road conditions and driving style, it yields the ideal line preferred by the driver. The carbon LSDs are suitable for street, circuit racing, drifting, dirt trials, auto-cross, and rallies. Price $2400.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:16 PM
Kickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to behold
Ummmm I dont know where blkdrago got his info but let me tell you what most are doing.

1. Cobb ap ecu re flash with varying stages depending on mods. Most people start off with this and work up.
2. The exhaust you can do in stages too. Most do the mid pipe first. The exhaust is in 3 parts. Down pipes-Mid Pipe-exhaust. It all depends on how loud you want your car and if you want big power for these
3. Machined out stock turbos fitted with bigger guts.
4. Of course all the other stuff like intercoolers and Hard pipes, intake(not that many out there that are better than the stock one)
5. Transmission upgrades. gear sets,Cooler, Clutch packs are being tested now also.

Honestly no one really knows how much the stock block will hold. Most people are dancing around the trans now. The most I have seen on dyno is a bit over 700awhp and that was with machined out turbos and all the other goodies.

Your best bet for information is to go to Nagtroc.com as there are more GTR owners modding cars there

Old 06-01-2009, 07:02 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
+1...

There are hundreds of mods.

The most basic for decent power is the Cobb AP ($1k) + HKS GT570 kit ($6k -ish).

There is a higher HKS kit, now. But the above combo will net around 550-600awhp (depends on who tunes it).

Old 06-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Thanks guys...so the Cobb plus GT 570 is 7K, how much for instal labor? And does this kit run w/ the stock turbos, or are the compressors upgraded?

Will that set up present any tranny probs?

Old 06-01-2009, 08:15 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Thanks guys...so the Cobb plus GT 570 is 7K, how much for instal labor? And does this kit run w/ the stock turbos, or are the compressors upgraded?

Will that set up present any tranny probs?
It's basically a hardpipe kit, with bov's, y-pipe (unresonated), actuators, and the cobb adjusts timing/fuel/boost.

There are dozens of other methods.

ASR has a DLC (Dynamic Load Control) that can raise your boost to 18psi and see a lot of gains without changing anything in your car. It is an add-on module that you plug in, and can remove in minutes (unlike the Cobb AP that reflashes the car).

Dozens of y-pipes (if you don't like the unresonated ones), all ranging in prices from $400 - $3k.

Acuators can now be purchased separately (i.e. Forge Motorsports), bov's can be purchased separately, etc...

But up to 600awhp, you should not have any transmission issues, as hundreds of people have done this already.

As long as you get a good tune, you should be fine with the engine as well.

How fast are you trying to go in the car? For track or dragstrip use (upgraded first gear from PPG $1895), or just bragging rights?

Old 06-01-2009, 08:55 AM
I don't have a GTR, just the cars in my sig, but am keeping my eye on them for the future.

I eagerly awaited their production but when they came out I was dissapointed w/ the look. However, I saw an all black one and for some reason I found it to look great.

What I would want is a realiable semi daily driver (something that can be driven in the rain if need be) w/ about 600 awhp That could still be somewhat compatative in the Houston, I mean, Mexico highway roll on scene (which of course is all done on a closed track in 60-130 comps).

The bottom line would be a reliable, dd-able car w/ a high 6 second 60-130 time. Are there any 60-130's for these cars? My GT2 runs a 5.79 and I don't think the GTR's are close to that yet, are they? My GT2 is also not dd-able.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:00 AM
lol! Nicely put. I'm not sure about the 60-130. I think Hennessey did, but I never looked into it, because that's a little too hardcore for me.

I know what you mean when looking at it in pictures and then in person. My wife wasn't really on-board until she saw it arrive in the showroom. She's loved it ever since.

Once you get the GT-R, I believe you'll see that above 80mph, this car is missing something. After the AP Stage 1 flash, I think everything is 'fixed'. It's not amazing performance, but it is smooth all the way over 150mph.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Now that the carzy marks ups are over, I believe that the GTR will present an outstanding performance value. I also LOVE paddle shifters and even though I have not driven a GTR it seems that they are arguable the best high performance car for everyday driving.

Another factor, as one who has a lot of experience w/ Japanese and German cars is that I am sick of paying the outrageous Porsche, BMW "tax". I have a local guy (Tommy Banh) who is a Japanese car guru and very fairly priced, whereas all my German car mechanics want $100 just to answer the phone.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Kickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to beholdKickhard is a splendid one to behold
Now that the carzy marks ups are over, I believe that the GTR will present an outstanding performance value. I also LOVE paddle shifters and even though I have not driven a GTR it seems that they are arguable the best high performance car for everyday driving.

Another factor, as one who has a lot of experience w/ Japanese and German cars is that I am sick of paying the outrageous Porsche, BMW "tax". I have a local guy (Tommy Banh) who is a Japanese car guru and very fairly priced, whereas all my German car mechanics want $100 just to answer the phone.
Very true with the car tax. It was the same with the GTR but now prices have seemed to get where they should for parts and service. My car is setup with the cobb stage 1 and will all Mid pipe. this combo only cost me $1500.00 and has totally transformed the car.

Jasper was right about the high speed pulls with the car stock. It was not geared for those things but just a couple of changes with it and bam it is a monster. I havent really had the space to time it either but with a Porsche being geared to drive on the autobahn it really is in its element at those speeds.

As far as turbos go no one has just bolted on a bigger turbo because of space and also because a whole new exhaust manifold would have to be developed. If you have ever seen the stock exhaust manifold it really is tiny. Once that is done then we will really see what the engine can or cant do I think. Of course before that is done the power output of the transmission will need to be dealt with and so far upgraded gears, clutches, coolers are out. I think the trans will be rock solid after that.

I think you will love the paddle shifters too. It is so smooth and Nissan did alot to get this right.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:59 PM
rcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud of

Dr. Jitsu,

Definitely go on to NAGTROC.ORG and you will start to read what the GT-R is truly capable of in terms of well thought out mods. Many performance shops have come up with quality HP out of the GT-R.
Again, though as with any mods on any car, you run the risk of your warranty being voided or parts breaking during abusive stress. I for one feel the GT-R platform is of high quality and built strongly. All these internet stories of tranny breakdowns are just blown out of proportion by non owning GT-R experts.

Trust me, there is a GT-R "tax". Its just not as outrageous as the german "tax".
It is a supercar and it does use high performance parts, fluids and service.
But it will be the Daily Driving supercar you are looking for!

okay, all this talk ,Im gonna go drive my GT-RAWRRRRRR!

R

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Performance upgrade options/packages?