Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Any GT-R owners in here ever own or currently own a 996TT or GT2?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Any GT-R owners in here ever own or currently own a 996TT or GT2?

If so, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your impressions wrt a comparison between the GT-R and the 996.

I'm not so much looking for a performance comparison (as there is plenty of data already out there for that), as I am how the cars feel wrt quality, rigidity, driver's feedback, etc...

One thing I've always loved about P-cars is that they 'feel' like quality cars. Very solid and well-built. I think BMW's feel that way as well. Does the GT-R feel that way at all, or does it feel more like an expensive, but fast, 350Z? (no sarcasm intended)

Thanks in advance, guys.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 07-10-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:45 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
I had a 996TT x50 package and that car had more pickup 3rd gear onwards but 1st gear is worhtless. The GTR hooks up on all gear giving it the advantage from th begining. The dual cluch is also much faster than the standrad manual making the comparason unfair with perfect heel toe.

The GTR is a much heavier car but it feels lighter than the TT. This is probably due to the massive brakes and tires and quick steering. The GTR feels like it dances around corners and the TT get the rear end swing. I'm guessing the GTR is probably a few lap wonder, until the tires cup and wear out.

The GTR interior is good but it's no porsche. The biggest complaint is the cheap altima roof material on the GTR and my porsche had full carbon fibre with full leather dash.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Thanks, bro. I appreciate your reply.

Anyone else?

Old 07-11-2009, 02:22 PM
tws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to alltws_andrew is a name known to all
Scott

I have had most of the car's you have had minus the Z06 but have spent plenty of time in the Z06. My only gripe about the GTR is the interior feel. Like the Z06 I do feel it is justified due to the price. The overall feel of the car is quality to me due to the weight. It is just lacking in interior materials and I got a little spoiled by features and materials pretty standard on the Euro cars. I will say that the performance is unreal. I currently am just running the following and it is the fastest car I have owned. Cobb custom tune, injectors, EBC, actuators, midpipe (about 5k). Dyno'd 571 rwhp on Cobb's Mustang dyno. I am currently walking bolt on Z06s at my elevation. I have also walked many modified 996s and recently an STS Twin tubo C6 with supposedly 575 to the wheel. Bottom line is that the handling, braking and 0-100 speeds are really amazing for the money. It is also a really cheap car to mod. I could not have this be my only car due to the lack of lux but for a pure sporty car in my stable it is perfect. Yeah it has a Nissan logo on the back and kids in Subbies follow me everywhere but I have lux cars with clout and this thing puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. I bought an e92 M3 before I picked up the gtr and I took it back in 2 days. It was just bland and didn't make my blood boil at all. One other nice thing about the GTR is the resale. You can buy a really low mile one right now and really not loose much of anything in a short term. That M3 I specd would have lost 20k in 6 months easily. I picked up the GTR with 1300 miles and it is almost at 5k now. I could sell it for 2k less than I bought it because I bought it right. Nice for guys with car ADD. Hope that helps. PM me if you have questions

Old 07-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Andrew,

That was a very informative and helpful post. I really appreciate you taking the time to write it. Thanks a lot.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Banned
switchcars is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gtr
The GTR feels like it dances around corners and the TT get the rear end swing. I'm guessing the GTR is probably a few lap wonder, until the tires cup and wear out.
First part of the above is true - the GTR feels incredibly light around corners compared to a Turbo. I have a lot more time in GT3s, so I can't give a ton of feedback about GTR vs Turbo.
However, I can say that the GTR is not a few-lap wonder.....it has absolutely blistering performance lap after lap after lap.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:43 PM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
Gt-r

Have not done it yet, but I'm close to trading my 03-GT2 in for a GT-R. Not expecting Porsche quality and track viability but I have been surprised by the reports and short drives I've done. I hope the reliability and warrantee issue/concerns are overstated. After 10years of consecutive 911 iterations it might be time for a change. The GT-R's ability to lay down usable power better than most has intrigued me. I will likely be looking for a next gen GT3-RS in a year or two but life's too short not to take the occasional flyer We'll see...

Last edited by NelsonF; 07-20-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Whoa_Itswee is infamous around these partsWhoa_Itswee is infamous around these parts
Scott,

You thinking about getting one? Or, more than likely another Porche?