Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Porsche deliberately used knackered GTR for Nurburgring comparison

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:53 AM
BD-
Banned
BD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 45otto
Who cares, why do the Nissan guys keep trying to compare their cars to Porsche’s? It is not a Porsche, we all know that. I have not seen one thread from a Porsche guy trying to say his Porsche is as good as a Nissan that sums it up. It isn’t a Porsche where you push a button on the dash and void your warranty, it isn’t Porsche making claim after claim that they are as good as better than a Nissan.
Hmm... That seems to be exactly what they were trying to do with their 'ring efforts.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
To the person that neg repped me. This is a Porsche forum. Period. I do realize that it is in a GTR subroom, but 6speed is a porsche forum that also enjoys talking about other makes. Fool.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:47 AM
EtherSpill is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BD-
A stock engine does not blow after 1 lap unless someone's tampered with it.
Or it has a defect.

Originally Posted by BD-
Why would AMS, a tuning company,
AMS stands for "Auto Motor und Sport", the German testing magazine, not the tuning outfit.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:05 PM
BD-
Banned
BD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by EtherSpill
Or it has a defect.
I'm going with tamper.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:47 PM
BGolden is infamous around these parts
BD

Where you part of the engineering team for the GT-R? Geeze dude chill.

I have built engines(turbocharged) and tuned them as a hobby for myself. I have done 20+ engines. Sometimes you do everything correct by the numbers and it doesn't work. You can try to build 2 identical motors w/ 2 identical tunes and I guarantee neither come out the same. This being in the same car w/ the same fuel and ignition system. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if any car manufacturer (Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, insert your fav) had a problem after one lap on a long track. Its one car it can be repaired no biggie. Any flaws are going to be found on the track, and lets face it this car is very new still.

We can tell you love the GT-R but its not the be all end all car. By the way I don't think any car is a simple mod and tune from 800 HP. I hope you own one of the new GT-R and enjoy it.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:43 PM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BD-
I'm going with tamper.

How about the other showroom stock cars tested around the Nurburgring that achieved a similar time, were they tampered with as well?

Face facts, the odds are against you. There have been several outfits that tested the GTR around the Nurburgring and achieved a similar result to Porshce, whereas only Nissan seems to be the only one that can achieve a 7:20's.

So instead of Porsche tampering with the GTR, maybe its the case of Nissan doing a ringer

Old 09-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
maybe its the case of Nissan doing a ringer
LIES! Nissan has never done anything like that!

Old 09-13-2009, 03:06 PM
NOSBT2T is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BD-
Searching for 'GTR engine failure' on Yahoo, this was all I could find:
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/122997-r3...ty-denied.html
Linked from above article:
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/122795-an...has-heard.html

You'll notice the car has had a Cobb AP tune. Now the Cobb AP is a great piece of kit but it's only as good as the tuner. I'm sure you appreciate that it's perfectly possible to blow a whole in a near stock hp 997 turbo with a duff tune. No engine can take serious detonation for very long.

In fact further research reveals his other thread:
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/120743-te...-its-fast.html

So damn far from standard. That tune on a Cobb AP is described as 'custom' but is probably better described as 'experimental'. Many people are getting a Cobb AP tune and then changing the pipework. This in turn changes the response of the engine in terms of lag and boost threshold and before long you're running high boost and high AFR in the transition regions and hence you have problems (on any car).

There's 2 recipes for failure (not saying which is right here).

1) A tuner that doesn't know their **** from their elbow.

2) A user who doesn't have a basic understanding of the affects of modifications. I.e. they get a tune for a given engine configuration and then change the configuration such that a safe tune is no longer safe.

Unfortunately the GTR has cult status in the tuner world and being relatively cheap lots of people have them and lots of people mod them, and lots of them don't know what they're doing. Get a sensible tune/mod and you can safely run 800hp. Get a stupid one and you'll fail at half that.

Mapping is a black art even when you're dealing with a known, unchanging engine configuration. How does the mapper know what ambient conditions the engine will be subject to? Or how many bad batches of fuel it'll be subject to? They sure as hell don't drive out to the Nevada Desert and then across to Siberia during the mapping session (like the manufacturer does!). It's more an experience and judgement call.
youre right about the tuning factor, this forum is full of nightmare stories from all makes and models that have had some half a** tuning job, there is even one where a guy added some ecu mods, headers, etc...raised is redline to a unlimited /ungoverened 7600 from 6900, and wonders why his block cracked lol! and who knows how hard he actually drove it! what we need is 24hr all stock production car endurance race with all the players, that would be awesome, at least for me

Old 09-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by BD-
So you think that when a car's brakes are jammed on and when a car is pulling to one side it will run its best lap or near? I'd have thought that a keen pro-endurance-racing-dreamer such as yourself would appreciate the affect. Seems like they either picked up an abused secondhand car or deliberately tampered it pre-effort. I don't see all that happening after a few laps. Seems a bit like a vertical v-t graph to me. And for the record, a correctly set up GTR will tend to wear its inner edge, as would any car running track-orientated camber.
As Carmagazine? has stated, a stock GTR brakes has an effective use of only ONE very hard lap and a Spec V carbon ceramic brakes at least last THREE very hard laps. It is not Porsches fault that the GTR is a heavy machince and it is not Porsches fault that Nissan decided to use a front engined 4wd instead of a better setup RR like some certain German manufacturer.

As regards the story, how can this be a common case? Why have no independent magazine testers like Sport Auto, Driver's Republic or CAR ever experienced anything similar when lapping the 'ring? Are you going to claim that their cars had some sort of special cooling system that was simply too expensive for Nissan to fit to all cars and save themselves god knows how much in warranteed repairs. Even Porsche, the masters of propaganda, didn't experience this with an engine that was constantly pulling against jammed brakes and poor tracking. They just noted that it was slower than expected.
Unlike ordinary mortals, these manufacturers and magazines would not wink about a few thousand Euros in repairs and maintenance. The sad thing is that Nissan advertised something which no one can ever replicate.

Where were all the paparazzi when Nissan's test cars were blowing up after probably the most extensive 'ring testing any manufacturer has ever done? They were sure as hell there to catch a pre-production model of the R8 V10 on fire. We saw plenty of test footage of the GTR???
You could also see it this way. Nissan didnt put the GTR through an extensive enough testing loop, as clearly evidenced by their outragious inspection procedure, their fragile gearbox, and their ineffecient cooling .

This is the problem. These stories do not stack up as anything more than freak occurrences when compared with the vast array of other tests and data available. There are long-termer GTRs being ran by magazines and they aren't experiencing these problems. It's very difficult to believe what you read on the net in the absence of independent verification. Hell, I could logout and come back as JamalCamal and pretend that my brand new 997 TT had lost compression in its 6th cylinder after the very first full-bore run in 3rd.
The person whose GTR broke down didnt create the thread, he only responded to a fellow GTR owner who noticed the broken GTR being towed. This owner with the broken GTR was also part of a group of enthusiasts, some driving GTR's at the same time. No one has questioned the fact that this particular fellow has a GTR, drove it and broke down at the Ring.

Here is the thread.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/123995-br...-happened.html

What are Porsche hoping for? A win by disqualification? Well sorry but this isn't Le Mans and this is a Nissan GTR not an M3 GTR.

I don't understand why such a great car maker can have such a bad attitude but then with strong routes traceable to **** Germany, maybe I shouldn't be surprised. What next? Are Porsche going to try rounding up all the GTRs and forcing them into concentration garages?
It's very sad that anyone would associate the current Porsche with **** Germany, surely Porsche has made ammends (as much as humanly possible) since WWII. I also do not find jokes about concentration camps funny.

I do know my history and Germany wasnt the only nation doing the invading. Instead of reading anymore GTR threads/praise, maybe you should open up a history book and learn what exactly happened and who the major players were.

Unfortunately the GTR has cult status in the tuner world and being relatively cheap lots of people have them and lots of people mod them, and lots of them don't know what they're doing. Get a sensible tune/mod and you can safely run 800hp. Get a stupid one and you'll fail at half that.
Achieving 800hp takes more than just a tune and boost increase. Increase the boost enough and your outside the turbo, intercooler and exhaust extraction effeciency (im not even talking about effeciency here). Trust me when I say that a GTR with TUNE only will NOT reach 800hp.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:21 PM
BD-
Banned
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
How about the other showroom stock cars tested around the Nurburgring that achieved a similar time, were they tampered with as well?

Face facts, the odds are against you. There have been several outfits that tested the GTR around the Nurburgring and achieved a similar result to Porshce, whereas only Nissan seems to be the only one that can achieve a 7:20's.

So instead of Porsche tampering with the GTR, maybe its the case of Nissan doing a ringer
Apart from Sport Auto who made 7:38 and didn't spend a year or so there with the GTR like Nissan did.

Funny how the GTR puts in times that point to a 7:2X/7:3X 'ring lap on all other track tests. Maybe if the GT2 was significantly beating the GTR by a couple of seconds/minute on all other comparison laps I'd take your point. Until then mathematics and the land of non-vertical v-t traces are against you.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Gungriffin
LIES! Nissan has never done anything like that!

History shows that Nissan has never used a ringer around the Nurburgring..............Dirk Schoymans' promise.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by BD-
Apart from Sport Auto who made 7:38 and didn't spend a year or so there with the GTR like Nissan did.

Funny how the GTR puts in times that point to a 7:2X/7:3X 'ring lap on all other track tests. Maybe if the GT2 was significantly beating the GTR by a couple of seconds/minute on all other comparison laps I'd take your point. Until then mathematics and the land of non-vertical v-t traces are against you.

Actually the GT2 has beaten the GTR several times, Sport Auto achieved a similar enough result to Porsche while Driver Republic believed that the GT2 can also achieve its advertised time (unlike Nissan).

Which track is this and which car did they used? Like ive said before high hp supercars should do better than the GTR around the ring, since they are more able to use their hp and aero advantage.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:51 PM
cherzra is infamous around these partscherzra is infamous around these parts
Not that it really matters to us because 99% of us will never drive our cars like that, but it would be pretty funny if it's true. I have this thing about Porsche where I feel they are waaaay overpriced and overrated, so I enjoy seeing them get beat. Go GTR

Old 09-13-2009, 06:57 PM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gungriffin
These threads are getting so played out. I honestly could not care much less about any of this anymore. I really believe that most of the people on this forum couldn't care much less either. There will never be a satisfactory end for either side of this debate. Please take these threads somewhere else.

Driving a car is an experience. Depending on what you like depends on what you are looking for from a car and the experience that it provides. I used to enjoy reading about 'ring times, but that has changed. Who the hell cares what time a GT-R or 911 can do on the 'ring? It isn't your time on that track is it? All too often these days it is more about the numbers that you can advertise than the experience and feel of the drive. I would like to believe that people on this forum care more about the way the car makes them smile than the time someone else can produce on the Nurburgring. The fastest time doesn't always equal the best time (most fun) in a car. Enjoy how your car makes YOU happy.

Oh and by the way just in case anyone didn't realize- this is a PORSCHE FORUM. While the people on this forum are usually open minded, you would have to be pretty dense to believe that there is not going to be a little bias...

End Rant.
I see your only 25 years old, yet very saavy as I can see by your post, which to me makes more sense than 99% of the posts I read on this board. I do race cars of all kinds on many types of tracks and I must say I agree with your summary 100%!

Last edited by jamie furman; 09-13-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:59 PM
NOSBT2T is infamous around these parts
cherza (not saying this is you) but the "thing" that most people have about Porsche.....is that they can't afford one. they may not be perfect, but their level of refinement and performance in combination is at such a level that most automotive manufactures will never achieve there status as a true everyday supercar. there are cars that are faster and cheaper, but none that offer the total package nor the history, which is why to this date Porsche remains the benchmark of sportscar automotive excellence.

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche deliberately used knackered GTR for Nurburgring comparison