Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

GT R questions for owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 01:18 PM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
You can see my sig for the cars I've owned. I've also had a lot of seat time in my dad's Gallardo, Porsche 997.2TT PDK, 997.1TT, AMG cars, and some other high performance rides.

The GT-R takes the cake. Not only is it a world-class performer, but it's a friggen smooth daily driver if you want it to be!

My car is bone stock right now, but I'm hoping to do y-pipe and exhaust. Just afraid about the warranty...but everyone is saying to go for it so we'll see lol.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Wow... That says a LOT about the car (based on your prior experience).

I've said since day 1 - it inspires confidence. It handles so well, it's unbelievable (I've had one for almost 2 years, and I still can't believe it ). Wait until you use all of the tech gadgets...

What MY did you get?
I bought an 09. Its white/black, with the dark wheels. I really do enjoy it, but it has only been one weekend, so you have WAY more experience than I do. I dont know how to do ANYTHING on the damn thing, technology wise.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:53 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
My car is bone stock right now, but I'm hoping to do y-pipe and exhaust. Just afraid about the warranty...but everyone is saying to go for it so we'll see lol.
I recently turned in my car for an unrelated issue (so I thought). Nissan follows some of the forums (like most manufacturers). They (GT-R HQ in JP) was well aware of what my mods consisted of (Cobb AP, midpipe, and brake work), and my use (track/auto-x, drag). They downloaded my flicker data, reviewed it, and came back that I have nothing to worry about as far as warranty. This wasn't the dealer - it was Nissan. As long as you leave on the VDC when you launch, you'll be fine (LC2) - I'm proof of that.

Again - your list of experience in cars really puts this car on a pedestal - enjoy!!!
Originally Posted by Kevinw23
I bought an 09. Its white/black, with the dark wheels. I really do enjoy it, but it has only been one weekend, so you have WAY more experience than I do. I dont know how to do ANYTHING on the damn thing, technology wise.
It took me a long time to get used to everything - I found the dual Navi screen option quite convenient. It won't let you lock your keys in the car. There are a ton of things that you'll learn that Nissan put into this car... There is even a bolt on the rotor hat to push the rotor (free floating) away from the hub (in case they oxidize).

The one thing I'd be aware of - is when you wash it - drive it for a bit to dry off the brakes. If you don't do this (and I'm pretty sure this is not covered in the manual), they might oxidize together, and can cause your pads to crack (split). Basically, when I'm done washing, I drive up and down my driveway a few times (riding the brakes for a sec or two each time), and then put her away.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 PM
th3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of light
^great information.

check out NAGTROC for some more information. Everything you need to know about the R35 is there. Enjoy in good health

Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 AM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Nice info and thanks for the responses. I am going to drive one on Thursday and will add my feedback.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:26 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
+1 on Lucky Eff, and th3Stig - check out NAGTROC.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:33 AM
zen garage is infamous around these parts
I have owned or still own quite a few cars...You name it and I probably have owned, modded it and tracked it....The keys that I always reach for these days is the GTR. Two weeks ago I traded a friend his SLR for the GTR for a week. I couldnt wait to get back in the nissan.
We have worked on 15 or so in my shop, from bolt ons to complete teardowns...the car is built incredibly well. Simple things like the exhaust hangars are a work of art.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:41 AM

I had no idea that this car was regarded in such a high manner.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:58 AM
LuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud of
Me too, i'm blown away!

Old 05-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Banned
Skylin818 has a spectacular aura aboutSkylin818 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by riverflyer
Howdy, hoping I can get some feedback from owners about their experience of this car. How is the build and how does it age?
Just started watching/looking and uncertain about resale, how does it seem to be going for earlier cars in terms of holding value?
Best bang for the buck mod package? (I know you can make massive hp from this car but just looking for a nice, moderately aggressive set up)

thanks, John

Shop around , check the vin , when your ready to pick out the car you want offer to pay the owner his/her time to have a PPI and data check done at the GTR dealer who is auth to inspect and service the car. Based on the data you get proceed from there.

As for modifications goes I would have to say look at all of the data and vendors out there who and what and why.

I'd say leave the car stock with the exception of a mid pipe and a cat back upgrade, get a set of Spec Track tires to use on the track and just spend time on improving lap times on the track and learning the car, too many people just jump into the GTR from XXXX with out track time or learning the car when its pushed AWD is fun when you know the limits and AWD can be a death trap if you do not know what your doing.

Sure you gain 1 sec faster then then the other guy but the GTR is an impressive car out of the box to begin with.

Good luck with your search.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:07 AM
Jorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant future
Makes me want to get one . haha.
Good info. Keep it rolling.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Under PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud of
Nice info and thanks for the responses. I am going to drive one on Thursday and will add my feedback.
Hi John. I've had 2002 996TT modded to about 525hp, and currently have a challenge stradale I bought up in your area a few years ago and recently took both the GTR and the stradale to the track. The GTR is my daily driver and the Ferrari is for weekends. The GTR does everything very well and I've had mine for about a year now and tracked it twice. I took 5-8 seconds off my lap times in the GTR over the Ferrari. Granted, I was being careful with the Ferrari. It's a fantastic car and you won't regret getting one.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:53 AM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Under PSI
Hi John. I've had 2002 996TT modded to about 525hp, and currently have a challenge stradale I bought up in your area a few years ago and recently took both the GTR and the stradale to the track. The GTR is my daily driver and the Ferrari is for weekends. The GTR does everything very well and I've had mine for about a year now and tracked it twice. I took 5-8 seconds off my lap times in the GTR over the Ferrari. Granted, I was being careful with the Ferrari. It's a fantastic car and you won't regret getting one.
I went to test drive one yesterday but it was pouring so input was very limited and owner conservative, which is understandable. In full manual, how does the gt r shift compared to the stradale?

The stock exhaust sound was uninspiring at best. Hope the modded cars sound better! thanks for the feedback and any further stradale comparisons would be most helpful as I loved that car.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Banned
Skylin818 has a spectacular aura aboutSkylin818 has a spectacular aura about
I went to test drive one yesterday but it was pouring so input was very limited and owner conservative, which is understandable. In full manual, how does the gt r shift compared to the stradale?

The stock exhaust sound was uninspiring at best. Hope the modded cars sound better! thanks for the feedback and any further stradale comparisons would be most helpful as I loved that car.
This is the difference from going from a Mid engined V8 car to a engine/trans axle set up .

As for the exhaust note if you do a non resonated y pipe from HKS will like the sound better if you go with cold air filters make sure they are in front of the radiator support and should give you a holw of the turbos. I'd like to recommend a second set of track rims so when you have the chance to take the GTR to the track you can run a sticker set of tires for an awesome track experience.

Btw start shopping for brake pads now since the stock brembo pads will set you back about $800 and brake rotors are $1300 each , make sure you do not see crack on the rotors the car your buying.I'd like to know if you can go drive that car again you want to buy get it up to 85-100mph and lightly put your foot on the brake and there should be no initial steering wheel shudder but if it does it immediately and gets worse then you warped rotors and your looking at easily $2600 for replacement on those.

As a back up plan look at the AP Lockheed J-hook rotors for replacements later I believe they are about $900 for the pair I might be off on the price.

So as a word to the wise dont buy unless you got the dealer PPI done.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:27 PM
AMS has their own rotors for cheaper...

You can get rotors with or without hats (~$1100 pair). I was quoted a price of $900 per rotor (from the dealership).

The sound is very quiet. That's something I've grown to enjoy. I put on a resonated Y-pipe, and the wife and kids still love it. But if you want a throatier sound, what Skylin818 said about the non-resonated pipe is true. There are dozens of Y-pipes to choose from. Couple different diameters (this is where some decent gains can be had - removing the second set of cats that aren't necessary to pass inspection/smog). And since it is behind the last set of sensors, there are no warranty implications.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT R questions for owners