Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Daily Driver - GTR or C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
All I can say is that I ran an MHP C63 (headers, ecu, mickey thompsons, and maybe some other things here and there) with my CTS-V which ran an 11.8 @ 119.5mph on the 1/4 mile. My Caddy walked him pretty easily every time, except when I lost traction on the low speed runs and from the dig. I feel like my bone stock GT-R was about as quick as the CTS-V was. Modded GT-R blows the Caddy out of the water. The Caddy smoked the C63. So you get the point.

I did race a Kleeman modded C63 with my bone stock GT-R and put lengths on him right off the bat and just kept pulling. This was on a highway roll. From the dig it is no competition.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
The MHP C63 should have been all over your CTS-V IF it was stock at the time...

C63 dragtimes:
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...ag-Racing.html

Stock GT-R dragtime:
http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php...=10&carmake=35

Fairly close.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:55 PM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
The MHP C63 should have been all over your CTS-V IF it was stock at the time...

C63 dragtimes:
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...ag-Racing.html

Stock GT-R dragtime:
http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php...=10&carmake=35

Fairly close.
No the V was lightly modded ($2k put into it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUTtIPlycIo

Old 09-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
No the V was lightly modded ($2k put into it)
LOL! You can call a pulley a "light mod" in terms of $$. The beauty of FI.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
LOL! You can call a pulley a "light mod" in terms of $$. The beauty of FI.
gotta love it.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:02 PM
JayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Motoracer
ON the fence here since both have pros and both have cons. I tested the GTR a few weeks back and was blown away with the shifting and response of the car. Yesterday, I test drove the C63 and wasn't as impressed. However, I didn't get on it with the salesperson in the car, so I feel I didn't give the C63 the chance to compete. The shifting is definitely much slower, but I'm not sure about speed wise. I also couldn't get the C63 into a comfortable seat position.

Anyway, anyone consider these 2 cars before deciding? My commute is 1 hour each way to my office, and I don't go into the office in the bad weather (ie snow).

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help!
If you are still thinking... I would suggest a GTR. I had the GTR and CLS55 AMG (not the same as C63 but many similarities) and for a daily driver, it's definitely a GTR, hands down.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:33 PM
oldgixxer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
gotta love it.
Nah screw that man,the caddy was spraying&I dont care what ANYBODY says!!!! He was definitely spraying cause Ive never lost a race,period..you guys are lying&the caddy has nitrous on it.....

Old 09-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Jl4punch2 is infamous around these parts
I think the c63 is a much better DD

Old 09-13-2010, 09:02 PM
JayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Jl4punch2
I think the c63 is a much better DD
... and the reason would be?

Old 09-13-2010, 09:47 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
A friend of mine just got an 11' GTR 3 weeks ago, he has owned several MB-AMGs, and beemers, and porsches.
He already wants to sell it, because of a loud interior rattling noise and squeaking breaks. He noticed on the GTR forum that his complaints were not unique. He mentioned that none of his euro cars had any of these noises, not a happy camper.
His experience just solidified why I wont get a ZR1, CTS-V, or GTR in place of a 911 TT just to save some money. These cars are what they are "great bang for the buck" but I want the whole package.
Those of you who want to call me a eurosnob or brand *****, go ahead..... I AM. I became like this from several negative experiences with the lesser brands.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
A friend of mine just got an 11' GTR 3 weeks ago, he has owned several MB-AMGs, and beemers, and porsches.
He already wants to sell it, because of a loud interior rattling noise and squeaking breaks. He noticed on the GTR forum that his complaints were not unique. He mentioned that none of his euro cars had any of these noises, not a happy camper.
His experience just solidified why I wont get a ZR1, CTS-V, or GTR in place of a 911 TT just to save some money. These cars are what they are "great bang for the buck" but I want the whole package.
Those of you who want to call me a eurosnob or brand *****, go ahead..... I AM. I became like this from several negative experiences with the lesser brands.
I actually have to disagree with this one and I will tell you exactly why.

I went through a LOT of cars in my wife including all the cars you mentioned above as you can see from my signature below. Yes, the the main reason I sold the Z06 and the Viper was because of unwanted noises. Squeaks and rattles everywhere. Plus, it's not really built solidly. And the main reason was because it's not safe. Once you drive these two cars, people will readily notice it's not a safe car to drive hard.

But GT-R is different. GT-R rattles but it's supposed to rattle. The transmission is a unique Dual Clutch. When Nissan developed through Getrag, Getrag asked Nissan the question of the century. "How much do you want to spend on the Dual Clutch? There is an expensive way and inexpensive way. They both do the job, but the inexpensive way (1) will NOT handle the torque IF over-modify the car and (2) it will rattle a lot".

Nissan chose to go with the inexpensive one so there is the result. But then they wanted to keep the "under $90K figure MSRP" to compete with cars like C63, M3 and Z06, which they aimed for. Of course, they aimed for the 911 Turbo as well but they wanted to keep the cost a lot less to compete with 911 Turbo because it's such a popular car that price difference must be a lot, they thought.

Your friend didn't really pay any attention to the paperwork. All GT-R owners were notified (at the time of purchase) that GT-R "DOES" make lots of noises but it's a kind of noise that has nothing to do with how good or bad something is. A lot of dealers actually made the owner sign the form that they will NOT complain about the transmission noise. So, your friend is complaining something that's not really right to complain.

The GT-R? Well... personally I think it's one of the greatest cars in the World!!! I'm saying this even though I have a 458 Italia, I have owned the 997.1 Turbo 6 speed, F430 and my 2011 997.2 Turbo S is arriving in December.

I think for $85K this is an unbeatable car. It's really fast, VERY easy to soup it up, perfect handling, very good breaking, very aggressive shifts and flexible engine and prefect steering. It's also very stout, firm and the chassis is just perfect. It's not even close to C63 or M3. I think it's a lot better than my 997.1 Turbo that I had plus the F430. It's as good as the 2011 Turbo S and my 458 Italia. Can you believe that? I think so.

Plus, it's got the recordable hard drive for music, it's touch-screen that no German cars have except for newer Porsches and "ONLY" a few others that aren't really comparable with the GT-R.

The ONLY reason I sold it is because I don't keep a car for more than 1 year unless I have no other cars I want to buy. I normally keep about 3~5 cars at a time and I bought the 458 and signed the contract for the coming 2011 Turbo S. I just bought a 2010 FX50 for my daily driver and 2010 Escalade ESV because my kids are getting older and bigger. I just had to let the GT-R, 911 Turbo, GL450 and F430 go. No other reasons besides I wanted to flip the cars.

So, hands down. If you want a perfect DD that's unbeatable in almost every areas as far as performance and "daily-driveable-ness", then it's a GT-R~~~!!! Compared to the C63, it's faster (Plus it's an AWD that nobody can beat in dead-stop acceleration), handles a LOT better, breaks better, has FAR more room to grow in HP, etc, etc... The only thing it lacks is the 2 doors that you can't put 2 adults back unless they want to be small. Also, if you can just simply "ignore" the rattling noise from the transmission, then it's perfect. (I used the word ignore because that's what I did. I have very sensitive ears so it DID bother me a LOT as well but I just ignored it since it's NOT a noise coming from imperfection but from its design that was made to make rattling noises but it does not break because of that noise so I simply ignored it).

So who wins? The GT-R~!!!

Old 09-13-2010, 11:24 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Jayturbo,
Good info. You are right he probably did not read that notice, after he did a solo test drive for 20 minutes he was so thrilled with the performance he just pulled the trigger.
Your car collection is really impressive. And I can relate to just flipping your cars just because.
So whats your opinion of your 458 italia compared to your other cars. My next car will probably be the TTS so I would like to hear your impression of that one compared to your current and past cars.
Enjoy those rides!

Old 09-13-2010, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
Jayturbo,
Good info. You are right he probably did not read that notice, after he did a solo test drive for 20 minutes he was so thrilled with the performance he just pulled the trigger.
Your car collection is really impressive. And I can relate to just flipping your cars just because.
So whats your opinion of your 458 italia compared to your other cars. My next car will probably be the TTS so I would like to hear your impression of that one compared to your current and past cars.
Enjoy those rides!
I only drove for about 450 miles so I can't say everything. But so far so good. Yes it is very expensive (I paid $60K over sticker and thus $332,452K) but if you forget how much you paid, then it's the best car I've ever driven. It's got the "enough power" to scare any fast cars including souped-up cars (to a certain extent, of course), it's torquey enough (F430 and M6 are good on top end but down-low RPM's torque is forgettable when compared to super/turbocharged cars). But 458 has just enough torque that you can sometimes forget it's a 9000 RPM-oriented car.

Handling, stoutness, breaking have also improved by far compared to F430.

Interior design and materials were also improved over the F430.

Overall, I think this is the best car of the Century so far except for the Veyron that I can't say since I didn't even have a chance to drive one. I sat in one but didn't have a chance to drive it. ;-)

But don't get me wrong. 2011 (They will only produce in 2011) 911 Turbo S is also a fantastic car. I test drove this one and a regular 911 Turbo PDK. It's noticeably better for not much more money. A fully loaded 911 Turbo PDK is only about $10K cheaper than the Turbo S. It's surprising but it's true. That's why anyone who wants to get this car, one should get the Turbo S.

I thought it over and over many many times but my conclusion was very simple. Get the two cars that are the best in the World under $300K. My decision was the 458 and Turbo S and that's why I have the 458 and I will have the Turbo S in December.

Turbo S is the best all-around daily driver. I don't want to say anything because I already said how good the GT-R is. Just think about the Turbo S as a perfected GT-R. It does everything the GT-R does but better. Faster, better breaking, better handling, quieter, transmission is superb and does not rattle! ;-) And it's a touch screen with hard drive~! ;-) It's just double the price but if you can afford one, people should get the Turbo S over the GT-R any day.

So, it's all in matter of personal issues. The magic word --> The budget. Depending on the budget, a same car can be very nice, just average or not good.

But if budget is not a concern, then I would rank the 458 the highest as of right now and second is 997.2 Turbo S. Then it would be LP560-4... and so on...

Old 09-14-2010, 06:08 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JayTurbo
I actually have to disagree with this one and I will tell you exactly why...
Excellent post. Thanks for comparing against other cars in your current/past collection.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Excellent post. Thanks for comparing against other cars in your current/past collection.
Thank you! I will try my best on any posts I would put in the future... ;-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver - GTR or C63 AMG