Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Daily Driver - GTR or C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 04:55 AM
Motoracer is infamous around these parts
Daily Driver - GTR or C63 AMG

ON the fence here since both have pros and both have cons. I tested the GTR a few weeks back and was blown away with the shifting and response of the car. Yesterday, I test drove the C63 and wasn't as impressed. However, I didn't get on it with the salesperson in the car, so I feel I didn't give the C63 the chance to compete. The shifting is definitely much slower, but I'm not sure about speed wise. I also couldn't get the C63 into a comfortable seat position.

Anyway, anyone consider these 2 cars before deciding? My commute is 1 hour each way to my office, and I don't go into the office in the bad weather (ie snow).

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-25-2010, 06:16 AM
LuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud of
Well how many miles do you put in a year? If the C63 wasnt comfy then was the GTR?
The 2011 GTRs have a nice comfort mode. With GTR you can actually drive in snow!

Lease or buy? Need 4 doors or 2 doors?

questions questions.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:57 PM
marcnv is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by LuckyEff
Well how many miles do you put in a year? If the C63 wasnt comfy then was the GTR?
The 2011 GTRs have a nice comfort mode. With GTR you can actually drive in snow!

Lease or buy? Need 4 doors or 2 doors?

questions questions.

What he said. Do you need 4 doors? If you do, the c63 is such a great choice.

If not, having the GTR and its AWD ability in the snow, would be great also.

Ps.. where in AD are you located?!

Old 08-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Psalm40 is infamous around these partsPsalm40 is infamous around these parts
The GT-R, although all-wheel drive, isn't exactly a great "snow-car". It is low and over-powered for slippery conditions. Guys have put Blizzaks on and done OK, but not for a distance, and not in the deep stuff.

I love the GT-R as a true Grand Touring car. I have taken mine on my road trips to Chicago (5-6 hours) and loved it. The ride is a little more stiff, which I enjoy. The C63 will be much better for passengers.

I wouldn't get the GT-R if you ever want to drive the Murci again!

My vote is GT-R, but I am biased.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:35 PM
jacx920 is infamous around these parts
where in NJ are you?

Old 08-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
You definitely need to give the C63 more evaluation because it sounds like it was already eliminated.

Are there any bumpy roads you drive on in your commute? Drive'em both in heavy traffic (assuming you do) and see how you like the shifting, etc.

What about cargo room and capacity? They really seem like different vehicles from my perspective. I did a review on the GT-R and it was amazing, but felt quite large. Hard to tell where the right front corner is, etc.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:15 AM
Location: Waltham, MA/Southport,CT/Vero Beach, FL/Grosse Pointe, MI
steve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to all
C63, but thats mainly becAuse I love going sideways and that exhaust note is bliss for my ears
Although the c63 I hear has a cheaper feeling interior. It really goes either way. Like said earlier, 2 doors or 4 doors? That's the deal deciding question.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:15 AM
oldgixxer is infamous around these parts
If your gonna leave it stock&not mod: C63
If you wanna mod for more power:GTR

Old 08-31-2010, 06:42 AM
Psalm40 is infamous around these partsPsalm40 is infamous around these parts
I forgot to comment on the New Jersey part. We were out in Northern NJ two weeks ago visiting family and I was SURPRISED at how bumpy the roads were! I thought to myself that it would be a little bit of torture to have the GT-R there. Even the Turnpike was pretty beat up, let alone the smaller roads. Route 1 was a minefield....

Old 08-31-2010, 08:07 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
You definitely need to give the C63 more evaluation because it sounds like it was already eliminated.

Are there any bumpy roads you drive on in your commute? Drive'em both in heavy traffic (assuming you do) and see how you like the shifting, etc.

What about cargo room and capacity? They really seem like different vehicles from my perspective. I did a review on the GT-R and it was amazing, but felt quite large. Hard to tell where the right front corner is, etc.
Very good posts here, as I also contemplated the C63 for DD (until I found that the GT-R was quite sufficient, and saved me the money of buying another car)... But to address the apparent size - I agree, I almost had a false sense of where the car is... I have a hard time knowing where my right rear is (I hit most cones on auto-x'ing with my right rear), and my front bumper (I find myself parking about 2 feet away from the parking block).

Old 08-31-2010, 11:39 AM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
I have both, since the acquisition of my GTR about 2 weeks ago, I have NOT touch the C63 and I'll be selling it soon. The GTR is a much better car to drive in term of a DD. GTR plants much bigger smiles on my face as I smash on the accelerator.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by oldgixxer
If your gonna leave it stock&not mod: C63
If you wanna mod for more power:GTR
Although I have read the bolt-on mods for the C63 will get it to stock GT-R trap speeds.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Although I have read the bolt-on mods for the C63 will get it to stock GT-R trap speeds.
Sure,if you have $15k to spend on an ECU tune&full exhaust why not..or u could spend less than $2k on the GTR and no modded 63 will come close,period

I have an E63,and I refuse to pay the Benz tax on aftermarket performance upgrades as it's just not worth it for me

Old 08-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by oldgixxer
Sure,if you have $15k to spend on an ECU tune&full exhaust why not..or u could spend less than $2k on the GTR and no modded 63 will come close,period

I have an E63,and I refuse to pay the Benz tax on aftermarket performance upgrades as it's just not worth it for me
Well of course regarding the FI GT-R with mods and with it the resulting warranty risk.

My point however is the acceleration delta can be minimized with the C63.

How is the market for used 6.2 performance parts? Is $15k really the cost of the parts?

Old 09-01-2010, 05:32 AM
Dunno about used parts,I guess if somebody leased their 63 and modded it w headers etc&they removed them before they returned the car u mite get a good deal.

Last time I checked,MHP had the fastest/quickest C63s and I know Andy charges top dollar for his mods. An ECU tune was $3500&the MHP longtubes were close to $4500,the exhaust from the cats to the mufflers is another $3k-4k&the cams are another $6k not to mention the install.

The fastest/quickest C63 still belongs to Keith I believe at 11.2&124mph in the 1/4 on D/R's;he has all the mods listed above plus ported heads($5,000) and a bunch of other small bolt-on's that MHP sells. Close to $20k in parts not including labor to run an 11.2.

My buddy has a GTR w less than $2k in mods that runs identical 1/4mi&trap speeds on street tires in the 95 degree heat on pump gas&that was the reason I posted if u wanna mod go w the GTR,if u wanna stay stock go 63

BTW,I think I remember your screen name from MBWorld

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver - GTR or C63 AMG