Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Just Looking: GTR Cost of Ownership...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 11:03 AM
JoeinLA is infamous around these parts
Just Looking: GTR Cost of Ownership...

I'm pretty much focused on a 996tt, but the GT-R is still tickling the back of my mind. Done a fair bit of reading, but would like to ask the group here a few questions about their GT-R ownership experiences:
1. Cost of ownership. $2,000 oil changes? 10,000 mi for tires doing DD duty? What are you guys spending to own this car as a DD (not including "track costs")?
2. Reliability. Tranny problems that cost $20k and aren't covered by warranty? What about long term reliability? Anyone have 50k miles on theirs?
3. Why are there so many low mile 2009/2010's on the market? I can definitely appreciate car-itis (which I'm sure alot of us here suffer from), but it just seems like alot of people are buying GT-R's, driving them around for a year or so, and moving on to something else...?

I appreciate that there's alot of controversy over this car, and I've read what seem to be opposing reports, so I'd really like to hear actual owner experiences...

I'm not going to track this, and it'll almost certainly sit in my garage most of the time since I work from home, but this is definitely a car that I can't get out of my head. As a comparison, I'm very focused on the 996TT for cost reasons: most of the depreciation is already taken care of and, in my experience (2 986's) and from what I've read, Porsche's are relatively reliable and bullet proof.

Any thoughts/comments/experiences would be greatly appreciated. The GT-R is, without question, the most paradigm breaking "supercar" in quite a while, but it seems to be a very large unknown with respect to costs of ownership and reliability (both short term and long term).

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-03-2010, 12:25 PM
LuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by JoeinLA
I'm pretty much focused on a 996tt, but the GT-R is still tickling the back of my mind. Done a fair bit of reading, but would like to ask the group here a few questions about their GT-R ownership experiences:
1. Cost of ownership. $2,000 oil changes? 10,000 mi for tires doing DD duty? What are you guys spending to own this car as a DD (not including "track costs")? All fluff. There are no $2000 oil changes. It's 1200 and that too after 18000 miles. If you go aftermarket then it is even cheaper and reliable. Tires last from anywhere between 16k to 20k miles. Make sure you get street settings for wheel alignment, even more mileage on the tires!
2. Reliability. Tranny problems that cost $20k and aren't covered by warranty? What about long term reliability? Anyone have 50k miles on theirs? No tranny problems. Everything is covered under warranty! quite a few 40k miles plus gtr running.

3. Why are there so many low mile 2009/2010's on the market? I can definitely appreciate car-itis (which I'm sure alot of us here suffer from), but it just seems like alot of people are buying GT-R's, driving them around for a year or so, and moving on to something else...? Many reasons. People over stretching their budget. Flipping for profit. Onto a new car.

I appreciate that there's alot of controversy over this car, and I've read what seem to be opposing reports, so I'd really like to hear actual owner experiences...

I'm not going to track this, and it'll almost certainly sit in my garage most of the time since I work from home, but this is definitely a car that I can't get out of my head. As a comparison, I'm very focused on the 996TT for cost reasons: most of the depreciation is already taken care of and, in my experience (2 986's) and from what I've read, Porsche's are relatively reliable and bullet proof.

Any thoughts/comments/experiences would be greatly appreciated. The GT-R is, without question, the most paradigm breaking "supercar" in quite a while, but it seems to be a very large unknown with respect to costs of ownership and reliability (both short term and long term).

Thanks in advance!
I hope it helped. The upkeep isnt outrageous at all if you dont track. It's a good car. Any more info you can go over nagtroc and search.

Many have gotten their transmissions replaced even when modded. Nothing to worry about. It's all internet fluff about tranny's breaking left and right.

If you have any questions then feel free to ask.

good luck!

Old 10-03-2010, 12:55 PM
TiGTR-TO is infamous around these parts
Just to be clear: oil changes are around $150-250, transmission fluid changes are around $1200-1500.