Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

My new (to me) GT-R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:56 PM
silverarrow is infamous around these parts
I'm really glad that reviews and impressions are changing regarding the GTR...i'm almost there myself. Enjoy Godzilla!!!

Old 10-14-2010, 03:31 PM
renesis is infamous around these parts
Scott,
it sounds like you have done a great job at explaining the GTR experience, and while you have done a great job of that, i keep wanting to ask....
im not sure if your Z06 was stock when you bought it, or how long you drove it before modding it, or if you even remember back that far, but would you care to explain to a (stock) c6z owner the difference between the vette and the GTR and which you prefer? thank you in advance.....

Old 10-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by renesis
Scott,
it sounds like you have done a great job at explaining the GTR experience, and while you have done a great job of that, i keep wanting to ask....
im not sure if your Z06 was stock when you bought it, or how long you drove it before modding it, or if you even remember back that far, but would you care to explain to a (stock) c6z owner the difference between the vette and the GTR and which you prefer? thank you in advance.....
The benefits of a stock Z06 are as follow:

-More of a purist car (6-MT and N/A motor)
-Faster from a roll
-Faster from a dig on a dragstrip with an expert driver
-Better MPG
-Smoother ride (but not more comfortable due to the crap seats)

The GT-R on the other hand:

-Is faster from a dig or from low speeds on the street
-Handles MUCH better
-Is more comfortable (I think the interior is outstanding for a $80k car)
-Has MUCH better brakes
-Better tech like stereo, NAV, etc..
-AWD (boatloads of grip, all the time)

Both cars are good looking cars (IMO).
Both are fast in a straight line (the GT-R from low speeds, the Z06 more from high speeds).
Both respond well to mods, but I think the GT-R is proving to be a little more resilient to high power than the Z06 is on stock internals/stock transmission.
Both are daily-driveable, but the GT-R even moreso than the Z.

Handling - The GT-R is THE best handling street car I've ever driven. Period. I don't think I've even driven a track car that handles like this.

But don't take my word for it; take the winner of the 2006 24-Hours of Daytona, Mike L., owner of TPC Racing. We were on the phone today talking about stuff and the GT-R came up. Turns out, Mike has quite a bit of time behind the wheel of one. He told me that the GT-R handles so good right from the factory that it would take a minimum of $10k in parts and labor, plus someone with a lot of Porsche suspension know-how, to make a 997TT get into the ball park of stock GT-R handling. He also told me that he thinks the GT-R gearbox is better than the 997.2 PDK box, based on the tuning he's been involved with on a PDK car recently.

I know that's not a direct comparison to a Z06, but I think it backs up what I've been saying about this car.

Anyway, I have been and always will be a fan of the Z06, but there is no way I would choose one over a GT-R, even if the Z06 cost $20k less.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-14-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:55 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by silverarrow
I'm really glad that reviews and impressions are changing regarding the GTR...i'm almost there myself. Enjoy Godzilla!!!
I think they are only changing because more people are driving them. My opinion hasn't changed since Aug of '08.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:00 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
The benefits of the Z06 are as follow:...
Wow... Another great post. Awesome comparison (indirectly).

I'm taken aback by your perspective. It seems that you're really enjoying the car.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Wow... Another great post. Awesome comparison (indirectly). I'm taken aback by your perspective.
Thanks. I always try to be as honest as possible.

It seems that you're really enjoying the car.
I am. But I think I'll enjoy it even more after I install my soon-to-be-arriving Switzer Y-pipe, drop-in filters and custom tune.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:10 PM
... I think I'll enjoy it even more after I install my soon-to-be-arriving Switzer Y-pipe, drop-in filters and custom tune.
Well that took 5 minutes...

Old 10-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Ha ha....

Old 10-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Well that took 5 minutes...
What are you talking about? He ran that car stock for damn near a full tank of gas

Old 10-14-2010, 09:32 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
glad to see things worked out

silver looks nice!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:33 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
I am. But I think I'll enjoy it even more after I install my soon-to-be-arriving Switzer Y-pipe, drop-in filters and custom tune.

bwahahahaha

Old 10-14-2010, 09:59 PM
vegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks. I always try to be as honest as possible.

1. The z06 comparison is DEAD on.. i felt the same way with mine

2. you should do Down pipes and catback (HKS sounds awesome and gives it a deeper formula 1 sound at WOT .. that will net you 540whp way more responsive!

glad to see you modding!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:10 PM
renesis is infamous around these parts

The GT-R on the other hand:

-Has MUCH better brakes

-AWD (boatloads of grip, all the time)

Handling - The GT-R is THE best handling street car I've ever driven. Period. I don't think I've even driven a track car that handles like this.
i used to have an STI that was built for autox and gymkhana, and
this is the stuff i miss in the z. i have been thinking of modding it, or buying something else. i would really like to trade it, or sell it, for an ariel atom..... i think a gtr would be a great street car at that point. an atom for track days and a gtr for beating the streets. hmmmm

its just too much of a straightline top end highway racer, and while it can be a formidable track tool in the right hands with the right mods, its just not that easy to drive it fast, and if its raining, or cold out, it likes to act up. i miss a car i can just launch the crap out of and not have to worry about it hooking. that i can put the go pedal to the floor in a curve with.

it sounds like you are very happy with your purchase. and i am happy for you. i love to see a fellow car nut who is in love with a fantastic car. thanks for the info

Old 10-15-2010, 12:44 AM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vegasGTR
(HKS sounds awesome and gives it a deeper formula 1 sound at WOT
Ughh...have you ever even heard a live F1 car? Even watching a race in your apartment will give you a good idea. But 'deep' toned sounds isn't exactly what comes to mind.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:51 AM
LuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud of
oh i have stood right beside an f1 car. the revs would give me the chills.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My new (to me) GT-R