Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

My new (to me) GT-R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 08:32 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ohiogt2
ughh...have you ever even heard a live f1 car? Even watching a race in your apartment will give you a good idea. But 'deep' toned sounds isn't exactly what comes to mind. Hilarious
+1

Old 10-15-2010, 12:01 PM
rseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
The benefits of a stock Z06 are as follow:

-More of a purist car (6-MT and N/A motor)
-Faster from a roll
-Faster from a dig on a dragstrip with an expert driver
-Better MPG
-Smoother ride (but not more comfortable due to the crap seats)

The GT-R on the other hand:

-Is faster from a dig or from low speeds on the street
-Handles MUCH better
-Is more comfortable (I think the interior is outstanding for a $80k car)
-Has MUCH better brakes
-Better tech like stereo, NAV, etc..
-AWD (boatloads of grip, all the time)

Both cars are good looking cars (IMO).
Both are fast in a straight line (the GT-R from low speeds, the Z06 more from high speeds).
Both respond well to mods, but I think the GT-R is proving to be a little more resilient to high power than the Z06 is on stock internals/stock transmission.
Both are daily-driveable, but the GT-R even moreso than the Z.

Handling - The GT-R is THE best handling street car I've ever driven. Period. I don't think I've even driven a track car that handles like this.

But don't take my word for it; take the winner of the 2006 24-Hours of Daytona, Mike L., owner of TPC Racing. We were on the phone today talking about stuff and the GT-R came up. Turns out, Mike has quite a bit of time behind the wheel of one. He told me that the GT-R handles so good right from the factory that it would take a minimum of $10k in parts and labor, plus someone with a lot of Porsche suspension know-how, to make a 997TT get into the ball park of stock GT-R handling. He also told me that he thinks the GT-R gearbox is better than the 997.2 PDK box, based on the tuning he's been involved with on a PDK car recently.

I know that's not a direct comparison to a Z06, but I think it backs up what I've been saying about this car.

Anyway, I have been and always will be a fan of the Z06, but there is no way I would choose one over a GT-R, even if the Z06 cost $20k less.
Great write-up. Congrats on your new purchase! It's refreshing to hear a unbiased opinion from a respected individual on this forum. Keep me informed if you local guys decide to do a track day in the area.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Hybrid AWD is infamous around these parts
Congrats on the car, Shane was told me about the first one and I would have done the same thing that you did. Enjoy it!

Old 10-15-2010, 02:02 PM
vegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
Ughh...have you ever even heard a live F1 car? Even watching a race in your apartment will give you a good idea. But 'deep' toned sounds isn't exactly what comes to mind.
Obviously it wont sound exactly like a formula 1 car .. on my car with no cats on DP, Mid pipe and the Hks exhaust under WOT ..it has an amazing sound to it ..very different from stock and a sound that i cant really explain.. but "reminds me" of a formula 1 car that i watch on my 1979 18" ZenithTV in my "apartment"

Old 10-15-2010, 03:57 PM
z32cctx is infamous around these parts
Grats on the car.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
Thanks. I always try to be as honest as possible.

I am. But I think I'll enjoy it even more after I install my soon-to-be-arriving Switzer Y-pipe, drop-in filters and custom tune.
Congrats Scott, we are looking forward to hearing your feedback on your initial upgrades. The first step to the R1K+ journey!

Old 10-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dk996tt
Congrats Scott, we are looking forward to hearing your feedback on your initial upgrades.
David - I'll definitely post a before and after review, as well as 1/4 mile and 60-130 times.

The first step to the R1K+ journey!
Thats's exactly what I'm afraid of! Ha ha

Old 10-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Street is infamous around these parts
[quote=Divexxtreme;3008660
I am. But I think I'll enjoy it even more after I install my soon-to-be-arriving Switzer Y-pipe, drop-in filters and custom tune.[/quote]

I think I am going to be getting the same thing this week.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Street
You need to update your signature, mister.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:35 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
Scott, great decision! I have the same setup from Switzer and it's perfect for a daily driven GT-R. Very nice increase in power but no compromises. At the track I was running with a supercharged Z06 with drag radials. I saw what your GT2 was running on the track. Funny but the GT-R with basic mods like y-pipe and tune can actually best your GT2 on street tires at the strip with ET.

On the streets I've beaten Lambos, any BMW M car (including a Gintani Supercharged E90 M3 with higher boost than normal), whipple supercharged Cobra, and many other cars that were supposed to be fast. Still behaves identical to stock, just better response. Enjoy this for a bit, get used to it (which you will get used to very quickly haha) and contact Neil to see what other goodies Switzer can throw in.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Scott, great decision! I have the same setup from Switzer and it's perfect for a daily driven GT-R. Very nice increase in power but no compromises. At the track I was running with a supercharged Z06 with drag radials. I saw what your GT2 was running on the track. Funny but the GT-R with basic mods like y-pipe and tune can actually best your GT2 on street tires at the strip with ET.
Ya, I'm looking forward to these mods. I plan on taking both cars to the strip this Friday (the GT2 on DRs this time and more boost) to see how they do. Right now, from a dig on the street, the GT-R is definitely the quicker car. From a roll however, the GT2 will absolutely demolish it. I think my GT-R will need a setup similar to Jamie's (P900) to match my GT2 from a roll, but we'll see.

On the streets I've beaten Lambos, any BMW M car (including a Gintani Supercharged E90 M3 with higher boost than normal)
Interesting you bring this up. Have you seen the video of the "600awhp" GT-Rs losing against Drew's Gintani M3? I do realize that his car is fast, but I find it hard to believe that the GT-Rs in that vid are making a true 600awhp. Thoughts?

Old 10-18-2010, 10:11 AM
2011GTR
C63AMG..sold
996TTEVOMSGT750EVOMSTiptronicConverter..sold
HSC(Jason Heffner)2005 Viper 700 HP 522 CID.sold
Jeep SRT8 2006&2009..sold
CARTEK C6 Vette 2005 550 HP..sold
LPETTC5Vette1000+Hp daily driver 867RWHP..sold
BMW M3 SMG..sold DRM C5 Vette 550..sold
Much better.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Street is infamous around these parts
Much better.

...Cant wait for track Friday. I hope we break in the 10's with our GTR's and rep Switer.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:49 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
Ya, I'm looking forward to these mods. I plan on taking both cars to the strip this Friday (the GT2 on DRs this time and more boost) to see how they do. Right now, from a dig on the street, the GT-R is definitely the quicker car. From a roll however, the GT2 will absolutely demolish it. I think my GT-R will need a setup similar to Jamie's (P900) to match my GT2 from a roll, but we'll see.

Interesting you bring this up. Have you seen the video of the "600awhp" GT-Rs losing against Drew's Gintani M3? I do realize that his car is fast, but I find it hard to believe that the GT-Rs in that vid are making a true 600awhp. Thoughts?
As far as the GT-R vs your GT2, your GT2 is infinitely faster than the GT-R, no question lol. My point is that on the drag strip though or at the stoplight, the GT-R could actually be the surprise victor with a huge hp and weight disadvantage. Just shows the benefits of the GT-R's AWD system and transmission.

I have seen the videos of the GT-R vs Gintani M3. All I can tell you is that I raced against an E90 M3 that was supercharged and built by ESS (he shipped it to arizona for the build and tuning). He dyno'd at 590rwhp from what I remember. He wouldn't go from the dig so I gave in and finally agreed to go from a roll. We did about 5 rolls, all from different highway speeds up to the 170-180mph range. Every single time I would pull on him HARD. I kept on pulling and pulling and he didn't have any advantage. He was really confused and was on the phone with ESS right after the race trying to figure out what was going on.

Note: I thought it was a Gintani build but it was ESS from Arizona. Sorry for the mixup. Perhaps the Gintani 590rwhp M3's are faster than the ESS 590rwhp M3's? lol...

Old 10-18-2010, 11:50 AM
...Cant wait for track Friday. I hope we break in the 10's with our GTR's and rep Switer.
I ran an 11.2 with horrible DA, track prep, and not the greatest launch. It can be done with the right launch. You guys have to work on the "double pump" method to get the 60' down, assuming you have LC2.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My new (to me) GT-R