Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Switzer R1KX on the way

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vegasGTR
Unless Switzer has figured out what AMS and SPE have not... not sure the block will stay together for too long with real abuse( knowing scott he will put it to the test)

From what i have seen from a couple 1150+ ..the blocks crack after VERY VERY LITTLE abuse ..we are talking 20 passes max.. (not counting break in miles) and im not talking about 1000/800 setups..
I certainly don't wish that on anyone, but until we see the same stuff happening to Switzer built motors...I'm not yet concerned.

Thanks for the props.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:45 AM
MorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really nice
Look's strong

Old 06-16-2011, 04:07 PM
mpw32 is a jewel in the roughmpw32 is a jewel in the roughmpw32 is a jewel in the roughmpw32 is a jewel in the rough
This is going to be fun to watch! Can't wait to see it run some times. Congrats on a beast, Switzer is definitely the way to go.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:02 PM
vegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I certainly don't wish that on anyone, but until we see the same stuff happening to Switzer built motors...I'm not yet concerned.

Thanks for the props.
Of course I dont wish it on anyone , I was just stating the FACTS that the "crack" limit is 1150ish..no switzer motor has been over 1070 until yours.. so this is the danger zone that we have seen from other builds.

Looking forward to final numbers and more importantly trap speed in the 1/4

Old 06-16-2011, 08:31 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
wow @ the vid

Old 06-17-2011, 06:20 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Of course I dont wish it on anyone , I was just stating the FACTS that the "crack" limit is 1150ish..no switzer motor has been over 1070 until yours.. so this is the danger zone that we have seen from other builds.

Looking forward to final numbers and more importantly trap speed in the 1/4
Sam -

I don't want my motor to break, or Tim's, or Hing's...but the only FACTS we have are that AMS and SPE motors, which are sleeved and running high amounts of relative torque, have cracked their blocks at these power levels. So like I said, until a Switzer motor (which is not sleeved) shows the same limitations, I don't yet personally consider it a confirmed "crack limit".

Old 06-17-2011, 08:04 AM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
so this is the danger zone that WE have seen from other builds.
Sam, YOU have seen or experienced very little. You just READ what is posted. You still haven't grasped the reality that there is typically a big difference between the two.

All the motor programs to date (including tuning) from the big three GTR tuners are very different. Until this combination is tested, it is too early to say there is a design limitation.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:01 AM
vegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
Sam, YOU have seen or experienced very little. You just READ what is posted. You still haven't grasped the reality that there is typically a big difference between the two.

All the motor programs to date (including tuning) from the big three GTR tuners are very different. Until this combination is tested, it is too early to say there is a design limitation.
False, I talk to Tim and Hing on a regular basis.. SPE has already cracked a 3.8 last year running a lot of boost .I agree with the fact that the trq needs to be limited and make more HP might help.. Will it 1200/800 keep the block together , maybe but for how long.

Hey listen I am thinking of going big build 1100-1200 ..but I will never do it until I can see someone abuse the **** out the motor and it survives.

Ohio, do you think the vr38 can take 1200hp abuse on a REGULAR basis ? I'm talking about 5000 miles of hard abuse on full tilt?

I know Scott will do a few 1/4 mile runs and some roll ons , then run it on 93 .. So that might not see enough abuse/ research to give me the peace of mind to pull the trigger on a big build ..

Anyways...I'm very interested in seeing the trap speeds R1k+

Old 06-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Guys, back up for a second and look at what we are all talking about...

We are talking about a 231 cubic inch engine producing 1100AWHP through an AWD system. Reference that to other cars with the same specific output and you start to get into dedicated drag cars or million dollar road race cars.

The jury is still out on how long these components will last at these power levels, that is a fact above all. Find another car with the same specific output that runs flat out every time it fires up and what the maintenance or overhaul period is on it. We are fortunate to be working with some of the finest technology in the aftermarket industry, and if the best rods, pistons, and blocks available at this time last for X interval at X power level, well, that is yet to be determined. A blanket statement or ruling such as that comes only after years and years of brutalizing combinations, not weeks or months, and the only combinations that can be compared to each other in this instance would be the ones that are tuned by the same hands using the same philosophies...

Old 06-18-2011, 07:37 AM
MorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really nice
with all due respect, and tim know's this too....a 4g63 OR a 2jz, crushes this motor(so far!) and that's OLD technology...Neil has a point!

Old 06-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Tachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MorePSiTehBett4
with all due respect, and tim know's this too....a 4g63 OR a 2jz, crushes this motor(so far!) and that's OLD technology...Neil has a point!
With all due respect guys... I don't think Nissan motors truly gives a rat's *** about anyone modifying their motors to the breaking limits as done here and elsewhere. Being Japanese, they probably cringe at the thought of anyone messing up their "perfectly designed" engines. The engine for the R-35 was not designed as a 1000 whp quarter mile dragster, but rather designed to make a dream car that would out perform all others on the Nurburgring at one-half the price, and still be a great daily driver! That I think they did, and the extra whp reserve seems adequate for good engine longevity.

The point above regarding older technology is mute in my mind. It just so happened that those older motors were designed with materials that better coincided with your goals in making a 1000+ whp dragster. However, these older engines would probably not meet today's performance standards and the goals for which the R-35 was designed to fulfill; that is, I don't think Nissan designs an engine with the goal in mind to help a handful of motor-heads make Womp-*** WHP. But certainly everyone gets excited when the stars correctly align, allowing for mega-whp to be produced, making everybody happy.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Great post, Tachsman.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by MorePSiTehBett4
I dont agree with that.. a 2jz is an Iron block, put in some pistons and rods and it will take a ****load of boost vs. a 3.8 a stock aluminum block from nissan..

yes the GTR has more technology in it .. but that does not mean the material of the block can handle 1200whp like a 2JZ can.. If some one made a vr38 from Iron material , then it would be game on !

Old 06-18-2011, 02:20 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
I dont agree with that.. a 2jz is an Iron block, put in some pistons and rods and it will take a ****load of boost vs. a 3.8 a stock aluminum block from nissan..

yes the GTR has more technology in it .. but that does not mean the material of the block can handle 1200whp like a 2JZ can.. If some one made a vr38 from Iron material , then it would be game on !
Not true Sam....go check out the motors on the fastest ADRL, F1 and Top Fuel cars and get back with us. There are a number of advantages to aluminum blocks. Most all the high hp motors run boosted aluminum blocks. If I had the budget, the first thing I would do is scrap my iron 2JZ block for a custom dart billet aluminum block.

It is a much more complex discussion around engine design....again way over your head (and mine).

False, I talk to Tim and Hing on a regular basis.. SPE has already cracked a 3.8 last year running a lot of boost .I agree with the fact that the trq needs to be limited and make more HP might help.. Will it 1200/800 keep the block together , maybe but for how long.

Hey listen I am thinking of going big build 1100-1200 ..but I will never do it until I can see someone abuse the **** out the motor and it survives.

Ohio, do you think the vr38 can take 1200hp abuse on a REGULAR basis ? I'm talking about 5000 miles of hard abuse on full tilt?

I know Scott will do a few 1/4 mile runs and some roll ons , then run it on 93 . So that might not see enough abuse/ research to give me the peace of mind to pull the trigger on a big build ..

Anyways...I'm very interested in seeing the trap speeds R1k+
Talking to Tim only spreads more misinformation. He doesn't understand anything AMS chooses to share with him let alone have enough experience and understanding to explain it to someone else.

I doubt my V10 making just 150 hp per cylinder will last 5k under truly hard driving. Time will tell. I've already done more 200 mph blasts in 10 days than I did combined with my ZO6/GTR in 2 years.

Don and I wanted my 213ci strokers to last 3k miles before we torn them down to re ring/replace bearings. But I would try to race it every weekend and I never ran it but on kill mode. Regardless of what people say they will do, most just cruise these cars and might do 1-2 4 gear pulls once a month on kill mode.

AMS and SPE motors have lasted a handful of hours on the dyno/drag strip. Neither have a true road mile on them. Its too early to say whether it's a design or hw combo issue.

Bottom line, stop sitting on the side lines talking about internet facts. If you cant afford to pop a motor pushing the limits, leave the stock sized turbos on.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
Not true Sam....go check out the motors on the fastest ADRL, F1 and Top Fuel cars and get back with us. There are a number of advantages to aluminum blocks. Most all the high hp motors run boosted aluminum blocks. If I had the budget, the first thing I would do is scrap my iron 2JZ block for a custom dart billet aluminum block.

It is a much more complex discussion around engine design....again way over your head (and mine).

Talking to Tim only spreads more misinformation. He doesn't understand anything AMS chooses to share with him let alone have enough experience and understanding to explain it to someone else.

I doubt my V10 making just 150 hp per cylinder will last 5k under truly hard driving. Time will tell. I've already done more 200 mph blasts in 10 days than I did combined with my ZO6/GTR in 2 years.

Don and I wanted my 213ci strokers to last 3k miles before we torn them down to re ring/replace bearings. But I would try to race it every weekend and I never ran it but on kill mode. Regardless of what people say they will do, most just cruise these cars and might do 1-2 4 gear pulls once a month on kill mode.

AMS and SPE motors have lasted a handful of hours on the dyno/drag strip. Neither have a true road mile on them. Its too early to say whether it's a design or hw combo issue.

Bottom line, stop sitting on the side lines talking about internet facts. If you cant afford to pop a motor pushing the limits, leave the stock sized turbos on.
let me get this straight, MR.CASH MONEY .. If want to let other shops/people spend their money on R&D , before i dump my money on a "proven" build "I should leave it alone"..lol .. 98% of people value their money and want to see some proven /time tested setups..Obviously i can afford a big build, but im not in the business to **** 30k on motors that pop every 10 passes.. we are not all big ballers like you that comment makes no sense to me.. Doing research and talking about these big builds is what forums are for... what else are we going to talk about?

I wont start a debate on supra motors as you have more experience.. I was merely saying a stock 2jz IRON block can take more abuse then the nissan stock aluminum block , nothing more nothing less..

Last edited by vegasGTR; 06-18-2011 at 03:18 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Switzer R1KX on the way