Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Nissan GT-R pranks Porsche owners on the street!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:47 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
The $245k GT2RS weighs 881 lbs less, makes 90 more HP, yet only went 2 seconds faster around the 'ring than the $90k, 3956 lb, 530 HP 2012 GT-R (7:18 vs 7:20).

I'm a HUGE fan of the GT2 RS (I actually get to drive one soon...can't wait), but considering all of the variables involved, I don't believe that "CRUSH" is the most accurate term I'd use to describe this accomplishment.
Originally Posted by Mini George
I thought nissan was modifying their cars before they tracked them? So the one's racing weren't exactly stock.
For some reason, I thought the GTR did it in 7:29 which would be huge difference, but if you're right and it was only 2 seconds, yeah considering the added weight and less hp a 2 second disadvantage would be very little. That being said, as was said, by Mini George, there was great speculation that the car(s) that Nissan brought ring were not exactly factory stock. But I guess that has never been proven, so we'll have to take them at their word until proven otherwise.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:08 AM
M Coop has a spectacular aura aboutM Coop has a spectacular aura aboutM Coop has a spectacular aura about
That's pretty funny.. Clever targeting - if the results were as said, then I find the gag even better. If you really do not find this funny/clever, you are taking life to seriously.

Coop

Old 02-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Tachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by speed21
The only thing funny here is how its always the nissan guys posting these pathetic threads over on the P car forums seeking to stir the pot. You never see P owners doing that to the Nissan forum camp. Why? Well my guess is P owners are actually too busy enjoying their cars and have better things to do and talk about other than get involved in this kind of sore assed gutter smarting.

As i said before. P owners can afford to make a choice (like, get it?). Now maybe thats not so funny for the Nissan guys and gets up their noses....which is a key reason why they cant achieve the level of market penetration they require to make their car viable without gutting all the profits from their mainstream models. But thats really not my problem or any other P car owners problem that simply prefers to drive a P car over a Nissan. Im sure most of us P owners would know where the local Datsun/Nissan (whatever) dealerships are.

Desperate people do desperate things and this Nissan campaign has desperado written all over it.
No denying that. Now if these gtr cars were "really" flying out the door they wouldn't be having to hide behind recruiting bimbos in clown suits to tamper with other peoples P cars in a bid to get their point across. And claiming a spike in test drives? C'mon do you really think they would be able to admit otherwise? The only thing worthy to spruke on about would be an increase in actual sales as a consequence of the campaign......but again i guess that didn't happen and all they were left with was a fuel bill and a few worn out cars.. Fancy having to resort to such desparate measures to move a product . Tragic, embarrassing, so on so forth. Funny? Well, good luck with that one. But i know who's really laughing and, it aint Nissan..
I must admit that I do not find your analyses to be funny. Over the decades, I have always liked the fact that Porsche set the bar for making very fast cars in any era. However, I feel they became overpriced due to a steady influx of new buyer's, without having enough competition at the time to worry. I feel more people began to buy the Porsche logo only for the prestige to say they had one. The cars sold no matter how mundane they looked, and some of these models to me are just plain butt ugly looking which I would never drive. I believe the times they are a changing in the car market. Time to wake up and smell the roses with a breath of fresh air.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:00 PM
rocdok is a jewel in the roughrocdok is a jewel in the roughrocdok is a jewel in the roughrocdok is a jewel in the rough
i'm confused. I have only been on this site for maybe several months. I thought it was a 'car' site, being that there are sections for many brands. Is this a Porsche site that grew to others? Or is it a car site with multiple sections right from the get go?

Old 02-23-2011, 09:33 PM
rocdok is a jewel in the roughrocdok is a jewel in the roughrocdok is a jewel in the roughrocdok is a jewel in the rough
Porsche world road show forked out a few (+)thousand bucks per person to myself and 4o other guys to the Mosport race track for the Porshe World Road show from my small town alone (April 2009). I'd call this advertisement- in fact that is what they told me it was and i was asked to spread the word, which i happily did because I love the cars, and COULD (contrary to what you have said twice)afford one (that's why sent me), but after driving the GTR i decided not to be influenced by a badge. I test drove one and the performance sold me. I could have just as easily bought a Porsche or something else for that matter- as you say , to each his own. I actually thought the GTR was very ugly in pics, but found it to be quite nice in person. It is obvious that non badge owners are pissed off by the 'holy-er than thou' attitude of badge owners in general(not saying all badge owners but it appears to be lots) and i think that many (not all) Porsche owners are probably annoyed at the performance of the GTR and try and down play the whole thing. Sure, there are lots of people who can't afford the more expensive badge cars and i don't doubt that jealously can drive this argument that seems pervasive in many forums. I don't think this issue will ever go away. So, why would you waste time responding to the 'immature' antics of the Nissan advertising if you are happy with your Porsche? I have driven my good friends modified Porsche Turbo several times, driven most of the others (not GT2) including a ride in a GT3. Have you driven a GTR?

Old 02-23-2011, 10:53 PM
good responses. I'm serious. We both know that no matter what words are chosen, someone will be picky about the intended or un-intended meaning. I just think that if it was the other way around and someone was taunting me in 'my' site, whatever the car was, if i'm truly not jealous in any way of the other car in question, i would ignore it cause the rivalry ain't gonna go away. My apologies if i'm way off base. Peace out. (no i don't own a Porsche (+

Old 02-24-2011, 01:01 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow! That whole Nissan marketing campaign smacks of major sore ***. You don't see P EVER resorting to lowering themselves to those levels to make a point. Ambrose's account is spot on. I feel embarrassed for Nissan and anyone else that thinks thats clever. I imagine very few 997tt owners would ever sell their PT car and then buy two and a half GTR's with the proceeds. Most P owners have the funds to make a choice and if they want one they just buy one to add it to the stable. Cant say that situation applies to the majority of GTR owners. Over here a new PT is 420+ vs a new GTr is @ 165 drive away.....maybe less as these hardly fly out the door. In the states pricing may be different/closer?? I personally have a lot of respect and admiration for the GTR's credentials but having the choice i'll gladly pay 420 instead of 165 for a GTR anyday as its just not my cup of tea regardless of whether its 2 seconds faster or slower around a 20 mile track or, 250k cheaper.. IMO Its got a face that only a mother could love....no matter how much make up is put on it. No offense to those that find it attractive.....its just that ive tried and found myself cringing at the thought of having to look at its face day in day out. Not a thought i care to ponder..
Speed21 I just quoted this particular post of yours because it was the shortest one. I've been a Porsche owner for about just under 20 years. I personally am a huge Porsche loyalist and love everything about Porsche...I love the engineering, I love the history, I love the styling and most of all, I love the racing pedigree. so it's easy to see, I am not in anyway a GTR fanboys. That being said, after reading your posts, you come off as an complete elitist and wouldn't buy a Carrera GT if it had a Nissan badge on it, however would willingly pay 100k for a Honda Civic as long as it had a turbo and the right name on it's badge. I'm not saying you are, just that by your posts in this thread, you are coming off as a total elitist. Through your ramblings, you've obtusely managed to overlook the achievements that the GTR and Nissan have achieved. When companies such as Nissan with their GTR or Chevy with their ZO6 and ZR1 manage to push the performance envelope with "best bang for the buck" contenders. I welcome them. Sure at first I'm a bit upset that they beat or are close to Porsche's performance with a vehicle that costs substantially less. However I welcome it as it pushes Porsche to improve their product and not rest on their laurels. Obviously whether you're a fan of Nissan's marketing tactic or not, I think it was an original "thinking outside the box" type of tactic. The very fact that we're talking about it on a car forum means it was at least somewhat successful. Also, you keep accusing Nissan of posting on Porsche forums. The person who posted this thread has been on this forum since 2005 and has over 500 posts, so I'd hardly say he's a Nissan worker who's joined this forum to inundate us Porsche fans with Nissan Propaganda. Also, you mentioned that Porsche doesn't use conventional advertising sources. Well I don't know about there in Australia, but here in the US they advertise in pretty much every car magazine such as Road And Track or Car And Driver. Their commercials are routinely seen on Television and they frequently sponsor sporting events such as Golf, Tennis and others. Basically what I'm trying to say is, get off your high horse and just appreciate the GTR for what it is and if you don't, ok, it's not your cup of tea, that's fine. If their advertising tactic pissed you off that much, fine call NISSAN and complain that you find this as both an invasion of privacy as well as trespassing on personal property. I believe you'd have a valid concern about those issues. Ok, hopefully this thread is left to die and slowly slip away because it's obviously such a hot button issue apparently.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:44 AM
Yes you are! ....but be prepared to back it up.
Wow, I think you should really go back and re-read your own posts. You DO come off as elitist and presumptuous. I wasn't saying you ARE elitist. I don't know you personally, therefore I can't make that to be a factual statement. I was clearly and stated that IN THIS THREAD you COME OFF as one. Obviously I wasn't the only one who thought that or you wouldn't have received negative rep. I didn't do it, infact I actually gave you +1 Rep. even though I disagreed with you.
What???? You clearly have failed to read my posts, selecting only what suits you to then go on some kind of mission to vilify me? Give me a break!
I read them and do agree that you slightly grazed that they perform well but i certainly had no mission to vilify you. I was pointing out that many of your comments are presumptuous and smell of elitism

Hmmm. Why would you be upset?
You welcome other manufacturers and then you are upset? You should be glad. Its those kind of things that force development. GTR did wonders to the subsequent P car models. Do you resent that??
So now you welcome it and are not upset? Good. But you are a bit confusing.
I think it's pretty easy to comprehend what I was saying. But if you need it completely spelled out for you. I was saying that initially I'm upset that Porsche, the brand I'm loyal to loses their performance edge to a competitor. However, when this happens, I'm happy to see that Porsche is forced to improve their performance in their upcoming vehicles which benefit all of us as Porsche enthusiasts.

Not what this thread was about but yeah go on.
Actually this is EXACTLY what this entire thread was about. The entire reasoning for this threads existence is Nissan's advertising campaign that was posted in the original post!

I don't accuse anything. Its a well know fact that this isn't the first thread that has appeared on a P car forum for the purpose of creating strife. I have turned a blind eye to previous threads but had a say on this one due to the intrusive behavior in the marketing tactics of Nissan. Is that an offense now to express an opinion?
Actually yes, you are accusing actions of another. You say it's a well known FACT...The way you said that is as if it was part of the gorilla campaign directly from Nissan. can you substantiate that claim? Maybe a link to or quote from a credible source that has outed Nissan for going into Porsche forums and creating strife? Am I saying they haven't? No, I don't have any evidence to say they have or have not. I do know regardless of brand, there's always going to be fanboys and loyalists who will only drink the Kool-aid that's served in a carafe that has their badge of choice on the front of it and those are the people that will make posts to stir the pot, but that's not the brand itself, just some of their customers. Anyway, I don't wish to banter any further. I'm not painting you out to be a villain. I have a feeling that you (as am I) are a Porsche fan and you just didn't like the tactics that Nissan took to advertise their product. That's fine. To me, I thought it was quite tongue in cheek and kinda funny. I do agree, you'd never see Porsche resorting to this type of advertisement. But that doesn't mean it's desperate. It was simply creative. Anyway, your car sounds like an awesome car, enjoy it in the best of health and don't let what's said on a forum upset you too much.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Tachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to behold
This has been a very entertaining foray into the minds of Porsche owners. But the litany of arguments probably falls short for most Porsche owners. I think you can simply boil it down to the prestige of ownership which was mentioned earlier, or the badge of honor. Once you get a car that can go so fast, all that extra power is truly wasted on the streets in most places. Even on the track, most owners are not going to drive their cars like a bat out of hell in order to reach their full potential. I am sure 90% of drivers could not even drive their car that fast in the first place without crashing. Then consider how much “luxury” and “glitz” can you pack inside the space of a car that goes some 200 mph that makes any real difference to a human being?

If Porsche had first produced the GT-R instead of Nissan and then stuck a $200,000 price tag on it, I have no doubt that we would continuously be hearing praise from Porsche owners as to the beauty of the car with its avant-garde image, engineering and design. We would revel in its massive acceleration and quick times around the Nurburgring as no other mass production car has done before.

This is why arguing with owners of the GT-R does not fly here since I feel most do not seem to really care about the prestige issue, but more about the driving experience. If they are like me, I love a car that can beat any stock car out there regardless of price. I truly like great bargains and great bang for the buck. And that is why the Porsche 911 outsells the GT-R by 6:1, it is not engineering greatness, rather it is the buyer’s desire for name recognition and the prestige of association, one of the pack. I have nothing against Porsche nor their owners, to each his own. Porsche is still a very good car, but as inanimate objects go, it is just not my cup of tea.

I also thought the Nissan prank above was funny, like AFV. It seems to have been over-analyzed here probably because of the prestige factor again; never tarnish the idol that adds to someones prestige. However, I do believe we are experiencing a coarsening of humor across the globe. Gone are the days of Bob Hope and Johnny Carson of yesteryear. Very interesting thread.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rocdok
i'm confused. I have only been on this site for maybe several months. I thought it was a 'car' site, being that there are sections for many brands. Is this a Porsche site that grew to others? Or is it a car site with multiple sections right from the get go?
It is indeed a 'car' site. But like any other car site, you have some peope who aren't true performance car enthusiasts. They are rather, brand-******. You see it everywhere on automotive forums. Not just here.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 02-24-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:00 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
The $245k GT2RS weighs 881 lbs less, makes 90 more HP, yet only went 2 seconds faster around the 'ring than the $90k, 3956 lb, 530 HP 2012 GT-R (7:18 vs 7:20).

I'm a HUGE fan of the GT2 RS (I actually get to drive one soon...can't wait), but considering all of the variables involved, I don't believe that "CRUSH" is the most accurate term I'd use to describe this accomplishment.
2 seconds is HUGE around the ring , so yes crushed i think fits here, regardless of the price , and weight etc... all that has nothing to do with it , we are talking about car vs car .

Old 02-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmy996
2 seconds is HUGE around the ring , so yes crushed i think fits here, regardless of the price , and weight etc... all that has nothing to do with it , we are talking about car vs car .
Dude...the 'ring is 13 miles around with tons of long, fast straights. I very strongly disagree with you that 2 seconds is huge. It's actually pretty miniscule if you ask me.

I also disagree that price and weight have nothing to do with it. The GT-R was designed to be a supercar at a budget price. It does exactly that. It has an almost 900lb weight disadvantage compared to the GT2RS, produces 90 less HP, and costs 1/3rd of the price...yet is still only 2 seconds slower than the fastest production car Porsche has ever produced, around one of the longest tracks on planet earth.

It's an absolutely amazing piece of engineering. But that's just my opinion, of course.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 02-24-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting video that was just on another thread,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LGE3...layer_embedded
but then again its the driver

Old 02-24-2011, 03:10 PM
rseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud of
Dude...the 'ring is 13 miles long with tons of long, fast straights. I very strongly disagree with you that 2 seconds is huge. It's actually pretty miniscule if you ask me.

Just my opinion, of course.
+1 ...I'm sure most would agree with you here.

2 seconds in a 7+ minute lap is hardly considered "huge".

Old 02-24-2011, 03:23 PM
rseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
Interesting video that was just on another thread,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LGE3...layer_embedded
but then again its the driver
In that video, it was definitely the driver. A grandmother could have launched the GTR better than he did.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nissan GT-R pranks Porsche owners on the street!