Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Nissan GT-R pranks Porsche owners on the street!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
You make it sound like GTR owners are strapped for cash and can barely afford oil changes...

Old 02-25-2011, 08:25 PM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Any further? Let me know.
Yes, further....

Flamboyant? So let me get this straight...

You can come on here and spew your stereotypical, BS comments regarding financial stauts of GTR owners, yet I can't simply reply that you are wrong and use myself as an example of a GTR owner that could have had both if I chose to without being called 'flamboyant'? Give me a break...

Old 02-25-2011, 08:26 PM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer
You make it sound like GTR owners are strapped for cash and can barely afford oil changes...
Bingo. Exactly my point.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:36 PM
crackberry005 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Genius! Gorilla Marketing at its best! Thank god the GR2RS came out and CRUSHED the GTR's Ring time.
i agree. i dig gorilla art, and many other forms of art.

im not a fan of the gtr and i hate nissans, but i appreciate creativity. it may **** people off, but thats what gorilla art is supposed to do: wake ppl up. and imho, i dont think nissan loses any points for thinking creatively. at the end of the day, it didnt hurt anyone. just think of it as one of those flyers you get on your windshield.

and wow, im surprised at the explosion of posts over such a short peroid of days.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:44 PM
crackberry005 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer
lol, i dont understand why nissan owners are all up in arms about ppls financial status. if you really do have money, good for you. if not, w/e. why care? why so sensitive? in all honestly, it does seem like all this insecurity stems from the lack of prestige from the nissan badge.

i drive a camry and NO ONE thinks i have money, esp given my age. all my friends think my parents are not affluent. no one would ever expect for me to be able to comfortably afford a new 991s, when i can. do i care? no. at the end of the day, these people's opinions of you dont matter because it doesnt affect your financial status.

just my .02

Old 02-25-2011, 11:55 PM
2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough
Yet another Porsche vs Nissan thread , these threads are beyond boring both here and over at NAGTROC.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
From my experience, the people whom purchase the GTR or already own one have nothing against Porsche owners, do not feel that they have anything to prove, and do not seem to have any insecurities about driving a car that some might think has no background or heritage.

Likewise, since I often speak to many Porsche owners as well throughout the week, some like the GTR for certain aspects and dislike it for others, much like any car. I have never once had a conversation in person or over the phone with any Porsche owner or potential owner who had anything negative to say about their friends or acquaintances that own a GTR.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:10 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crackberry005
lol, i dont understand why nissan owners are all up in arms about ppls financial status. if you really do have money, good for you. if not, w/e. why care? why so sensitive? in all honestly, it does seem like all this insecurity stems from the lack of prestige from the nissan badge.

i drive a camry and NO ONE thinks i have money, esp given my age. all my friends think my parents are not affluent. no one would ever expect for me to be able to comfortably afford a new 991s, when i can. do i care? no. at the end of the day, these people's opinions of you dont matter because it doesnt affect your financial status.

just my .02

Thank you!!! You guys are all completing my list of things I said, a week ago, that you would say.
Hi crackberry. Its a good .02 cents worth actually. The points you raise are compelling. What has surfaced during the course of this thread is a "soreness" amongst some Nissan owners that they are not receiving the level of recognition from the general public and other high end sports car owners they feel they deserve given their cars performance credentials. But should P owners, F car owners or anyone else for that matter take responsibility for that? Its really not ours or anyones problem that no one is all that interested in the GTR. I take my wife for example. Whenever i see one i always point it out and say hey wow there's a GTR...as a form of recognition and respect for a type of car i've owned. My wife and/or daughter always say so what! "Whats so good about that"! And its not like we were driving around in my P either for them to be protective over dads choice or what they were being driven around in. I get a similar response from many guys that i have asked for their thoughts on the car and the response is aways much the same. Its an interesting point as we may well be approaching the very crux of why there is so much angst going on out there in the Nissan GTR owners camp. I guess its human nature that when we spend money on something we treasure or see as a thing of beauty and no one else wants to join you in giving you any "feel good" or recognition, there is a natural tendency to be disappointed. That applies to all of us. So it again comes back down to being happy with ones own lot without having to resent someone else's situation that may be receiving more outside attention than your own. Think about it. I think we might well have finally hit the nail on the head with this one.

And so far as your Camry goes i understand you totally. I regularly drive one of my company's Camry's myself and to be honest as a daily driver in heavy traffic the Camry is a far better car to be in than any P, GTR or prestige sports car. It doesn't draw any attention, you can park it any where, take it anywhere, no one is judging your financial status. Its actually not bad at all. Its only on drives when you know there are situations that you can use the beast that the beast is truly appreciated..

Anyhow, a car should not be driven nor bought for any other reason than thats what YOU want to do. I don't see where financial status comes into it.....although finance status can often dictate what you can and cant buy.
Dude - nobody cares about anybody's financial status, except you. You feel the need to bring this up.

~"People who have enough money to buy a Porsche choose to buy a Porsche instead of a Nissan."

As if to say Nissan owners can't afford a Porsche.

Wake up. Porsches don't cost that much (new ones could cost a little bit, whether or not it's worth it is up to you) (I'm still contemplating picking up another inexpensive one as a track beater).

It appears you're trying to make yourself seem superior for some reason, and I can't, for the life of me, figure out why. It's just a damn car.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:12 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I take you read Mr 1st post? Well just take note of Jaspergtr's response to that post. He welcomed the guy with along with a lol. I also noticed how the guy was left alone like hero by everyone else. Now would anyone here want to risk making a wager with me that if this same newcomer posted up his first post saying the same thing about 99% of GTR owners that he would not have been diced up like sushi instantly??? Well?? Instead he got a "lol" and, even a "welcome". Basically a nice pat on the back. I hope you got my point Neil. No offense to you Jasper, ive read many of your posts and i think we have certain things in common. But you showed your true colors when you responded to this clowns post. Sorry for having to point that out.
I knew he was coming here before you did, and I knew exactly why.

It was amusing to me... So I laughed (literally). Sorry. Perhaps you could lighten up a bit.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:31 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
You guys take this way too far. Plenty of GT-R owners come from a Porsche background. Some like it for it's insane levels of grip and it's transmission. Others for the unique styling. My friend has a Porsche 997TT with upgraded turbos and the works. He also has a GT-R with stock turbos and bolt-on mods and a tune. Guess which one he has for sale?

At the end of the day, be happy with what you have. After getting accustomed to my GT-R, I doubt I would trade it for a 997TT even if the prices were even (financially I would obviously for the value but lets just say the value was even). Not because I don't love the 997TT. Just because I have fallen in love with my GT-R and I find the performance a bit more impressive. Not that it is an all around better car. I just like it better. No big deal! No need for essays on finances and badge loyalty.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Tachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to behold
As my lawyer once told me, no one likes being poked in the eye.

When Nissan brought out the GT-R in 2008, it poked the eye of all Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, BMW, etc. owners. How could it not? It is like having an unruly bastard child dropped off at your front door for the summer. And lets be honest, it was not my fault with the car nor the child. J.K. What has transpired since, and this thread is an example, is only human nature.

I daily drive to work in a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe and drive my 2010 GT-R when I truly can enjoy all of its power and performance. The Genesis Coupe however is a great little car that is quick, can drift, handles well and has a large fun-factor. Hyundai delivered what it promised and beat out its competition. However, many still view this car as inferior only because of the Hyundai brand name; their loss, my gain. The GT-R is also a great car at a great price, but suffers from brand name and not being a supercar. LOL.

When a car or other product delivers what was promised and does it so well at a price that markedly undercuts its competition, you can count me in, every time. I don't care who makes a great product. A name brand item can give security and prestige to the owner, but that may come with a price.

For example, a $1000 Gucci hand bag may look no better nor last any longer than a $100 JC Penney bag. The Gucci owner however feels good from all of the prestige, recognition and glamor they will receive from ownership. The JC Penney owner, however, also feels just as good for having bought a similar great looking functional hand bag at a great price, and did not pay $900 to Gucci to feel good. The JC Penney owner then took $900 and bought a Cobb tuning accessport for her GT-R. This is capitalism at its best!

Old 02-26-2011, 08:35 AM
godspd is a jewel in the roughgodspd is a jewel in the roughgodspd is a jewel in the rough
[quote=speed21;3134403]"My knowledge of the buying trends for these kind of cars over our way is that a 500K car buyer is far more likely to be spending it on another ferrari or Lambo, Gt3 or something like that....or replacing their existing euro "art car" for a newer version. My personal experience from speaking with numerous wealthy people over a long period of time (in both social and business circles),who are also passionate with their cars and either own one or more, I have found that whilst there are New P (buyers) owners that have added a GTR to their stable that is very much a minority case to the best of my knowledge and personal observations. Being in the motor industry all my life and having a passion for cars i tend to keep tabs on what goes on and, I also get the opportunity of shooting the breeze at times over what goes on at the dealership sales end. There is no science as such...more so a common sense observation and evaluation of what is actually happening in the general industry. If i am wrong at all i am happy to be shown where.....truly. I bet that if you did a survey the facts would support my observations and knowledge. I would be very surprised to find differently.....yet am happy to be proven wrong. Owners of less valuable or aging/earlier series P's are often candidates for a GTR car in favor of dipping the tank for $ to step back up to the new buy price of a new PT."[\quote]

While that is valid in Australia, I don't believe your statement holds true overseas such as America or the UK (you should go onto some US & UK GTR forums). Being from Sydney myself what you have said above I think is the problem in Australia, where people need to be more open minded with cars. It almost feels like driving anything Japanese will never be good enough. Given the major hike in prices of Porsche's, Ferrari's etc. here vs overseas it really starts to look like badge snobbery and one of ego due to wealth status when one drives a P over a GTR and nothing to do with truly appreciating what we all love at the end of the day a car's performance and ability.

Last edited by godspd; 02-26-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:34 AM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Dude...the 'ring is 13 miles around with tons of long, fast straights. I very strongly disagree with you that 2 seconds is huge. It's actually pretty miniscule if you ask me.

I also disagree that price and weight have nothing to do with it. The GT-R was designed to be a supercar at a budget price. It does exactly that. It has an almost 900lb weight disadvantage compared to the GT2RS, produces 90 less HP, and costs 1/3rd of the price...yet is still only 2 seconds slower than the fastest production car Porsche has ever produced, around one of the longest tracks on planet earth.

It's an absolutely amazing piece of engineering. But that's just my opinion, of course.

Agreed.

Now, 2 seconds at Limerock?
That's another story!

Old 02-26-2011, 09:52 AM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I posted a copy of this thread

in the 997 forum just to get some Porsche perspective. I have had limited experience with the GTR since it came out in 2009. I used the car for one track day, and one afternoon of street driving and to be honest the car left me cold. I am actually using one for the weekend right now and my opinion is changing a bit although I am starting look at it a bit differently.

I plan on posting my impressions at the end of the weekend.

As a Porsche owner (997.2S) I can tell you there is no comparison in terms of straight line performance. I know the GTR is more normally compared to the Turbo but the price difference is so vast I think its just a strange comparison, not to mention I believe the turbo is much more about luxury and GT driving than out right sport.

My take on the commerical is its a bit childish and diminishes the GTR's
merits as a car that does not need to compare its self to any other car. It feels like Nissan is a bit insecure, which is a shame because no one can argue with the fact that the GTR is an amazing performance car at a bargin price with its own heritage and history.

I'll post my impressions of my experience in a couple of days, but I can tell you my opinion has started to sway and the GTR will get serious consideration to be added as an addition to my porsche, but I don't think it would ever be considered if it was to be its replacement.

Cheers
Matthew

PS, feel free to check out the 997 forum, Jasper can tell you we are a fun bunch

Old 02-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by tourbillon001
in the 997 forum just to get some Porsche perspective. I have had limited experience with the GTR since it came out in 2009. I used the car for one track day, and one afternoon of street driving and to be honest the car left me cold. I am actually using one for the weekend right now and my opinion is changing a bit although I am starting look at it a bit differently.

I plan on posting my impressions at the end of the weekend...

.... PS, feel free to check out the 997 forum, Jasper can tell you we are a fun bunch
That I can...

I'm looking forward to hearing your review.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nissan GT-R pranks Porsche owners on the street!