Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

How many of you track your GTR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:04 PM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by wilson1
Which one does that Neil?
Willall; Forge and SSP.

Both the HKS and GReddy units use the OEM transmission pump to circulate the fluid through the cooler and it is well up to the job.

Bish

Old 03-19-2011, 09:08 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thebishman
Willall; Forge and SSP.

Both the HKS and GReddy units use the OEM transmission pump to circulate the fluid through the cooler and it is well up to the job.

Bish
Thanks for that. I thought he was concerned about the circulation, missing the part of the pump.

I'm also not up to speed on the Willall, Forge, and SSP pumps (I disregarded them completely).

Old 03-19-2011, 09:12 PM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I've been getting some amazing feedback about this very subject.

The GReddy closes off other parts of the car, and handles cooling locally, which could automatically reduce the temps (by keeping the fluid away from the engine)...

(there is a lot more to it than this, I just wanted to offer the example)
Both the HKS and GReddy units work the same except for the way their thermostats control the flow of engine radiator fluid once a certain transmission temp has been reached: the HKS allows the water from the radiator to continuously flow thru' the transmission regardless of transmission temp; the GReddy isolates; (i.e. shuts off), the water thru' the transmission once the threshold has been reached. I personally like the HKS thinking best in that on a road course when the transmission temps are really getting up there and are above the engine coolant temp, the engine radiator then acts as a heat sink for the transmission 'helping' the HKS transmission cooler do its job.
Bish

Old 03-19-2011, 09:47 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Both the HKS and GReddy units work the same except for the way their thermostats control the flow of engine radiator fluid once a certain transmission temp has been reached: the HKS allows the water from the radiator to continuously flow thru' the transmission regardless of transmission temp; the GReddy isolates; (i.e. shuts off), the water thru' the transmission once the threshold has been reached. I personally like the HKS thinking best in that on a road course when the transmission temps are really getting up there and are above the engine coolant temp, the engine radiator then acts as a heat sink for the transmission 'helping' the HKS transmission cooler do its job.
Bish
Yeah, that's the one I'm most likely going to go with...

On another note (probably not the best place), what do think about the Boost Logic engine oil cooler (replacement for OE)?

Old 03-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Yeah, that's the one I'm most likely going to go with...

On another note (probably not the best place), what do think about the Boost Logic engine oil cooler (replacement for OE)?

I had the AAM competition engine oil cooler installed in my car. IIRC it uses the exact same core as the Boost Logic unit but with the addition of a 'puller' fan of which there are pluses and minuses. I essentially noticed no decrease in engine oil temps especially on track or the highway with/without the fan being on. I know of no-one who has achieved true quantifiable decreases in engine oil temps by replacing the OEM oil cooler with the current replacements and wouldn't recommend it myself. YMMV.

IF you live in an extremely hot area and if you are a highly experienced track driver you 'might' want to think about the combination of the Cobb secondary engine oil cooler and the SSP transmission cooler as both can be used. However, if you will change out your engine oil every couple of track days; (a very good idea); don't drive on-track at 10/10ths, and don't live in south FL or Vegas, Phoenix, etc, then the HKS should work well for you. And imho it's build quality far outstrips the SSP unit.

Bish

Old 03-20-2011, 11:09 AM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
Is it a fact that if you track your new 2012 GTR that Nissan will void the warranty via some "black box" GPS location identification technology?

I have heard this before from some GTR owners and it seems really strange to me since they claim that this car is built and bred for performance. Very opposite from Porsche's policy.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:12 AM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Bish

Planing to track my GTR and this post is timely.

OP hope you don't minde me asking a few questions in your thread.

First time truly getting into track and have a steep learning curve shooting for 8/10 this year.

Debated on GT3 vs GTR for track and picked GTR due to its boosted nature and lower entry cost.

Planing on E85 Tune(ID1000, HKS Pumps)/Intake/cat-less downpipes/resonated mid-pipe/exhaust(Akropovic) using same tuner/shop as you.

Aside from cooling/braking/handling upgrade in this thread can you suggest/recommend any other mods?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by venkatreddytx
Bish

Planing to track my GTR and this post is timely.

OP hope you don't minde me asking a few questions in your thread.

First time truly getting into track and have a steep learning curve shooting for 8/10 this year.

Debated on GT3 vs GTR for track and picked GTR due to its boosted nature and lower entry cost.

Planing on E85 Tune(ID1000, HKS Pumps)/Intake/cat-less downpipes/resonated mid-pipe/exhaust(Akropovic) using same tuner/shop as you.

Aside from cooling/braking/handling upgrade in this thread can you suggest/recommend any other mods?
8/10ths first year in a GT-R? Setting the bar kind if high, aren't you?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:36 AM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
jaspergtr

I have been a quick learner in everything I have done and hope to do the same on the track

Old 03-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by venkatreddytx
jaspergtr

I have been a quick learner in everything I have done and hope to do the same on the track
Well good luck to you. It's a fun car on track. You'll feel like a driving god, passing everything, etc...

Old 03-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by synergy
Is it a fact that if you track your new 2012 GTR that Nissan will void the warranty via some "black box" GPS location identification technology?

I have heard this before from some GTR owners and it seems really strange to me since they claim that this car is built and bred for performance. Very opposite from Porsche's policy.
Nissan's policy is that if something breaks whilst driving with VDC off they can refuse warranty service if they think that the failure was caused by VDC being off. I'm not sure that's too much different than Porsche's or many other manufacturer's policy in that you are dependent on how the area service rep wants to treat you. I do not think that warranty can be voided with VDC on even if you're on a road course, but may be wrong on this.

Bish

Old 03-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Bish

Your thoughts on my earlier post addressed to you?

Old 03-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Nissan's policy is that if something breaks whilst driving with VDC off they can refuse warranty service if they think that the failure was caused by VDC being off. I'm not sure that's too much different than Porsche's or many other manufacturer's policy in that you are dependent on how the area service rep wants to treat you. I do not think that warranty can be voided with VDC on even if you're on a road course, but may be wrong on this.

Bish
2009's - no problem.

Apparently 2010-2011 have some verbage adding a disclaimer to 'competitive driving while on a closed course our runway' (or something like that, including high speed runs, etc...).

Old 03-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Tachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to behold

Bish
On my 2010 the dealer encouraged me track my car while under warranty. But after done tracking, you must then bring the car into Nissan for a "post-track inspection" ($1000). Its kinda like owning an airplane; they want to make sure that everything is safe for driving fast afterward and in the proper working order, which also includes your wallet.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Tachsman
On my 2010 the dealer encouraged me track my car while under warranty. But after done tracking, you must then bring the car into Nissan for a "post-track inspection" ($1000). Its kinda like owning an airplane; they want to make sure that everything is safe for driving fast afterward and in the proper working order, which also includes your wallet.
I've heard of this from ROW cars but not in the USA. I think here the procedure is to have the computer checked to see if fluids need to be changed after tracking the car only if you place the oils in the red zone. This can be checked whilst having an engine oil change and IIRC many, (most?) dealers will check this data for free.
I did not use OEM oil in my transmission and with the HKS cooler I would only change it, (Willall), annually regardless of track days; (well, within reason of course). Engine oil was changed every couple of track days which is SOP. Diff oils changed every 3rd-4th track weekend.
Bish

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many of you track your GTR?