Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

GT-R reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:13 AM
96redLT4 is infamous around these parts96redLT4 is infamous around these parts
GT-R reliability

The 2012 GT-R is quite interesting given the performance enhancements and reviews so far. What I have found though in shopping around is that only a few Nissan dealers have access. The nearest one is about 100 miles away, although there are three other 'regular Nissan dealers' much closer. I have heard about price gouging in the past. Is this still an issue? Should I be concerned about reliability, servicing, and maintenance costs, which should be part of the allure of a Japanese built car? Any input on buying, and service experience would be appreciated.
Jim

Old 03-10-2011, 10:34 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 96redLT4
The 2012 GT-R is quite interesting given the performance enhancements and reviews so far. What I have found though in shopping around is that only a few Nissan dealers have access. The nearest one is about 100 miles away, although there are three other 'regular Nissan dealers' much closer. I have heard about price gouging in the past. Is this still an issue? Should I be concerned about reliability, servicing, and maintenance costs, which should be part of the allure of a Japanese built car? Any input on buying, and service experience would be appreciated.
Jim
My purchase experience was a first for me.

Nobody was allowed to sell me the car (or even discuss particulars) except the GM (or dealer principle). Every time I walked in, I only spoke with him. I wouldn't worry about too much price gouging (my local GT-R dealer (different from 'regular' dealers, as you've stated) has only charged MSRP for the last two years now). In fact, they have a 2012 super silver in right now.

I preorded mine in Feb '08. It came in the US around June, but it couldn't be delivered to my dealership until they met the GT-R requirements (GT-R certified tech, service rep, and GM - as they are the only people that are allowed to even so much as touch my car, along with special equipment to handle the car's dimensions).

So when the tech came back from his class, the car was delivered.
I was given a test drive by the GM, then I drove it, and he was obligated to show me certain things (which I knew before he did, thanks to the internet). And I signed a paper stating he informed me of the various noises, he showed me how to operate it, etc...

When I took delivery, I was introduced to my dedicated service rep (the senior rep at the dealer), and my technician (who is the only person allowed to work on the car). I always get loaners, when requested, for even little things like oil changes, or free Performance Optimization Services (POS - they balance the engine banks, do some various checks, etc...). I get free nitrogen whenever I drive up. I never wait in line for anything. Always served first. Even when I drop off the car, if there are 15 people in front, the service rep comes out to me, hands me the keys to the loaner, and sends me on my way. I've had great experiences every time I go down there (which isn't so often anymore).

Fluids can get a little pricey, along with routine maintenance (tires/brakes/oil, etc...).

The prices at the dealer for tires is $600/tire mounted and balanced. Oil change is between $150-$200 (depending on dealer).

Fluid changes for my car (required around 18000 miles) costs around $1400 (trans, rear diff, front diff).

But I've started buying my own fluids, and take it down to a local tuner (that has become quite familiar with my car) and my costs decreased a lot... Especially for normal non-warrantied wear items like brake pads.

I use Cosworth Track Master pads $400 rear, $500 front
AP Racing rotors $1169 pr
Tires from Tirerack are ~$400/ea (you can also get the high performance all-seasons if you want extra long life)
Transmission fluid can be purchased for about $500 + Diff fluids $120 (local tuner charges $180 for all of this)
Brake fluid Motul RBF600(I track occasionally) = $80

So my maintenance costs are reasonably low.

I've added a Cobb AccessPort ($1k) and a Y-pipe ($400) for almost an additional 100hp. In stock form, the car would fall on its face over 120mph. The AP fixes this - power is smooth and constant.

I have not had any issues with my warranty and the AP (I run a conservative tune, for now).

I've launched the car numerous times (using LC2), no problems there either. The ONLY issue I had with the car (wasn't reliability), was the EVAP code (commonly noticed early on in ownership), only needed a replacement valve. Newer GT-R's, I believe, don't experience this.

As far as maintenance costs... That level of performance costs money. I don't care which manufacturer we are referring to. You've got to pay to play. That being said, who WANTS to fork over money unnecessarily? We are always looking for more efficient ways to maintain our cars.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:19 PM
96redLT4 is infamous around these parts96redLT4 is infamous around these parts
Wow. What a great informative reply. Thank you so much. It sounds your car and experience have been quite good, especially the VIP Tx at the dealership. This also helps explain why so few of these cars have been sold in the US so far. A sales person at our local dealer said the costs to the dealer was many thousands of dollars to upgrade to the GT-R capability, and they had opted not to do it. I wonder if Nissan will make this part easier in the future.
Jim

Old 03-10-2011, 01:37 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
No problem...

Yeah, the cost was like $30k or something (special lift, tire mounting stuff, etc...).

That is why my local dealer marked up the first 5 GT-R's $6k. After that - he recouped the cost, and did away with it. I knew this going in, and had no problem with it. In fact, I picked mine up when the MSRP was still $72,500, so if you add on the $6k mark-up, I still only paid around $79k - which was less than the price increase for those who waited. It all works out in the end. Fantastic car. Over 2 1/2 years later, and I still smile when I get in. It feels like an extension of me. It does everything I ask it to. In fact, I can't wait to get off of work, so I can drive it home (it's pouring rain right now).

The electronics are actually more impressive, to me, than the performance. They've thought of everything, though... From the inability to lock your keys in the car, to the functional Navi system (can program dual screen, bird's eye, north facing, etc...), to the little bolt on the rotor to push it away from the hub, if you're trying to remove the rotor.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:37 PM
BlackTTCab is infamous around these partsBlackTTCab is infamous around these parts
Jasper, over the course of a year. Averaging about 1k miles a month, what would you expect to pay in service fees?

Exclude tires because every car will have that cost.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by BlackTTCab
Jasper, over the course of a year. Averaging about 1k miles a month, what would you expect to pay in service fees?

Exclude tires because every car will have that cost.
If you only drive 12k per year, I'd expect to get two oil changes the first year = $200 x 2 = $400 (using the high end of dealer pricing)

The second year, it will include fluids and brakes = $9000 (dealer pricing), my cost is only $3000 (Fluids + I only replaced front rotors the first time, and front pads, my rear pads last twice as long as the fronts, and I ran the stock rear rotors for well over 20,000 miles)

Third year, two oil changes = $400 (my cost is only $80 so it's $160)

Fourth year = ??? (I haven't gotten that far yet) - I'd estimate another $9000 for fluids and brakes (possibly $4400 for me - throwing in an additional set of rotors and pads for the rear).

So it's hard to say over the course of one year. I've seen more extreme pricing (due to track use), and I've also seen where people wait until 20,000 miles (almost 2 years), to do the fluid change, and brake work.

So using dealer pricing over 3 years = $400 + $9000 + $400 = $9800/36months = $272 per month
My pricing is closer to: $160 + $3000 + $160 = 3320 = $92 per month

Obviously I've left out a few things, but generally speaking, these numbers aren't too far off. If you track - this all goes out the window.

Last edited by jaspergtr; 03-10-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:08 PM
BlackTTCab is infamous around these partsBlackTTCab is infamous around these parts
you really need front rotors after only say 20k or 24k miles?

Old 03-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Also, dealer pricing is just insane, I would never do that.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:57 PM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BlackTTCab
you really need front rotors after only say 20k or 24k miles?
I would expect the OEM Brembo rotors to last much longer than 20K miles in purely street usage. Track usage changes the dynamic markedly and it's best to get the OEM rotors off the car ASAP. You will be told by many, (most?) dealers that all four rotors/pads should be changed as one or other crap like this. It is of course nonsense and the costs of these cars can be kept to a reasonable level given the performance envelope if you use independent tuner shops and do the easy stuff yourself.
Bish

Old 03-10-2011, 06:44 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
I know exactly what you mean, we get cars for cheap in the states.
My friends fall off their chairs when I tell what I payed for my cars.

On a side note I have tried to like the GTR to make me want to buy one, so far it hasn't worked.
May be 15-20 years ago when I had the 300ZX/300ZX TT it would have be a no brainer.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 03-13-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by venkatreddytx
On a side note I have tried to like the GTR to make me want to buy one, so far it hasn't worked.
That's exactly how I feel about the F430. I looked pretty hard at them last year but just can't get myself to want one. The 458 Italia, however, if I had an extra $300k to spend on a car...that'd would be the one I'd get.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 03-10-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:55 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Scott

Drive one if you havent, it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
It's steering/suspension/throttle/brakes are sublime noting comes close, I hear the 458 is even better.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Scott

Drive one if you havent, it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
It's steering/suspension/throttle/brakes are sublime noting comes close, I hear the 458 is even better.
I was actually fortunate enough to drive one last year. The sound was/is amazing, the suspension was very good as were the brakes, but I felt they weren't an improvement over a GT2 with PCCBs. My main issue with the car was with the power.

Italia...hell yes.

On another note, my friend just picked up his GT2 RS the other day, and he called me to come over and drive it. I'll post my thoughts on it, as well as some pics, in the 997TT section in the next week or two.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Scott

I agree, it sure is lacking in power compared to a tuned turbo.

I got nearly rear ended by an 18 wheeler, when I was merging on to a highway.
Thought I could pull away punched in throttle and noting happend was in too high a gear.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Scott

I agree, it sure is lacking in power compared to a tuned turbo.

I got nearly rear ended by an 18 wheeler, when I was merging on to a highway.
Thought I could pull away punched in throttle and noting happend was in too high a gear.
I'm very glad to hear that you didn't get hit!

If you get a chance, you should really take a GT-R for a test drive. Don't expect refinement at a level of an F430 or 997, but gauge it on it's performance capabilities and overall drivability and let me know your thoughts. I think you honestly might be surprised. Member tblackj (usually hangs out on Teamspeed) also owns/owned a F430, 997TT, Gallardo and Ford GT and absolutely loved his GT-R.

It's interesting, but the car has inherent qualities to it that a lot of people end up really liking. Even those who have much more expensive cars in their stable.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 03-10-2011 at 07:45 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT-R reliability