Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Gt-r?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:26 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Gt-r?

First time poster in this sub-forum.

I'm seriously considering the '12 GT-R as my primary DD. Have a 360 Modena for weekends and a surprisingly fun and "luxurious" CC VR6 as my true DD.

Looking to be able to drive the GT-R in snow, have 2 kids in booster seats in back, toss groceries in trunk, and still stomp 99% of the cars on the road

Was thinking of getting back into a 997 turbo (PDK this time) but the GT-R really has me thinking.

Thoughts?

Old 04-21-2011, 08:22 PM
silversrt has a spectacular aura aboutsilversrt has a spectacular aura aboutsilversrt has a spectacular aura about
gtr

You really cant go wrong with the GTR for a daily to be honest. I havent driven the 12', but have a modded up 2010. Its fast (will stomp about any Ferrari), very useable daily, space in back for kids/junk, trunk like a camry. Its a great all around car. The dual clutch and AWD are amazing and in the real world on real roads will toast just about anything up to about 100mph. Great for regular speed limit cruises too. I love it. Best all around car Ive ever owned...gets alot of looks. And Ive had one of almost everything. Currently have the gunmetal 2010 GTR, catless exhaust and COBB tuned for a daily and an LP640 for the weekend.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 PM
jalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant future
I have owned 2 Gt-R's a 09 and then a 2010 which I liked them both. However, as a daily driver I would get extremely tired of the jerky shifts and take offs in the Gtr on a daily basis. I have recently purchased a 997TT and love the car and would never trade it in for a GTR but again the GTR is a great, fast, and great looking car just not practical for everyday in my opinion. I think you would tire of it quickly unless you use it as a play car or weekend car. Also might depend on your age I am getting older so I like the smooth easy drive of the Porsche's. Good luck they are great cars just drive one a bit before purchase!!

Old 04-21-2011, 09:22 PM
mprsev is infamous around these partsmprsev is infamous around these parts
I recently picked up a 2012 GTR as my DD. I came from an E63 AMG and even though the driving experience is quite distinguishable I am truly enjoying the drive now. And I expect it to get even better once I get past break-in with 300 miles more to go.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:40 PM
tuonoR has a spectacular aura abouttuonoR has a spectacular aura abouttuonoR has a spectacular aura about
For your purposes, do it...

More child seat friendly than a 997 (like a porsche you can remove the back seat cushions and the resulting front passenger leg-room is measurably better); no comparison on the trunk capacity (golf clubs + weekend duffel vs. a roll-aboard); finally the tech package is daily driver friendly (nav that is actually intuitive; bluetooth audio, HD for MP3s, folding mirrors, etc.).

If you have the tranny adjusted properly, jerkiness on take-off can be addressed. Cons are the NVH (mostly from the tranny) / interior quality is a meaninful step down...and the fun factor of the porsche is imho higher. But you have a 360 for the weekends anyway.

Last edited by tuonoR; 04-22-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:12 AM
silversrt has a spectacular aura aboutsilversrt has a spectacular aura aboutsilversrt has a spectacular aura about
gtr

Yeah...I guess it depends on exactly your tastes and your age. Ive had a half dozen 997 turbos and they are exceptional cars as well. Really about perfect with the exception that they kinda look like every other Pcar on the road. A little dull. Compared with the GTR the Pturbo has a much nicer interior, is about perfectly put together, no faster and has much less trunk space if it matters. Its also twice the cost. Well maybe not but close. You could pick up an 09 GTR for $65k, 10 for $70k, and the 12 I dunno....I think they are so new they prob go for $90k now.

The only issue with my GTR has been the hesitation of the trans from a slow rolling stop to go into 1st. Say you are rolling to a stop sign and wanna roll thru it instead of 100% stopping. Sometimes, car will wanna stay in 2nd gear instead of going into 1st even when I tell it to. Wont go into 1st unless I stop 100%. Kinda annoying but not a really big deal. I personally love the car and with an exhaust and a minor tune your pushing a 10 sec daily driver. Crazy times we live in.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:10 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks all for the thoughtful responses.

Can't say I'm closer to a decision, but I'm significantly more enlightened

Old 04-22-2011, 08:16 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
I've been reading about the 12 GTR and one of the changes is a smoother ride. I've ridden in a 10 GTR and thought it was definitely hard but not so hard I couldn't drive it a few times a week in traffic. If the 12 is smoother, that's a plus in my book.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:44 PM
MikeWads is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
First time poster in this sub-forum.

I'm seriously considering the '12 GT-R as my primary DD. Have a 360 Modena for weekends and a surprisingly fun and "luxurious" CC VR6 as my true DD.

Looking to be able to drive the GT-R in snow, have 2 kids in booster seats in back, toss groceries in trunk, and still stomp 99% of the cars on the road

Was thinking of getting back into a 997 turbo (PDK this time) but the GT-R really has me thinking.

Thoughts?
No way! Get a 4 door M3 or CTS-V as your DD if you got 2 kids and want to toss groceries in the trunk.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Had an E90 M3 - unimpressed.

Not a V fan though a very capable car.

Kids and groceries were fine in my 997 turbo.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:32 PM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
You've already had porsche so try something Different! That (and $) is why I'm switching from gt3 to gtr

Old 04-22-2011, 05:47 PM
That's what I'm thinking.

Why not, right?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Today I sat in an '09 gun metal with black interior.

I thought the interior looked just fine, if not cool. I read a lot about the plastic interior but like it over the sparsity of the 911.

The exterior looked aggressive - liked it.

The only problem I saw was the back seats that angled way back. Took my kids to sit back there - they need booster seats. Doesn't look as if they would fit back there very well.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:46 AM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
dont forget the 2012 has upgraded interior in addition to power, handling, etc

Old 04-23-2011, 10:50 AM
96redLT4 is infamous around these parts96redLT4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
Today I sat in an '09 gun metal with black interior.

I thought the interior looked just fine, if not cool. I read a lot about the plastic interior but like it over the sparsity of the 911.

The exterior looked aggressive - liked it.

The only problem I saw was the back seats that angled way back. Took my kids to sit back there - they need booster seats. Doesn't look as if they would fit back there very well.
Hi Taylor. I have been in the market as well with the same needs, eg daily driver, occasionally taking the kids etc. A couple of observations I have are the following. At least here in CA the 2012 seem less available and more expensive. I think some of the people who ordered 'black editions' lost their cars or orders in the tsunami. Maybe they were offered others?? Also the GT-R requires more frequent servicing, q 6 mths and must be done by a GTR tech at an auth 'GTR dlr', the nearest to me is about 63 miles. Things to consider...
Jim

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gt-r?