Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Forged Performance: HKS GT800 Turbo Kit Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Former Vendor
Sales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud of
Forged Performance: HKS GT800 Turbo Kit Install

Today we are installing an HKS GT800 Turbo Kit on a customer's R35 GT-R. This turbo upgrade with supporting mods will turn the GT-R into a 9 second street monster while still retaining AC, power steering, navigation and all the luxuries that are expected from an R35. We are expecting to see 700+whp once the kit is installed and tuning is completed

Name:  predrop.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  456.0 KB

Name:  motodropped2.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  376.5 KB

Name:  motodropped.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  459.1 KB

Unboxing and prepping for install....
Name:  HKSprep.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  426.7 KB

Name:  HKSkit3.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  471.9 KB

Name:  HKSkit1.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  304.6 KB

Name:  HKSkit2.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  259.9 KB

Name:  HKSkit4.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  267.6 KB

Name:  HKSkit5.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  330.0 KB

Name:  HKSkit6.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  270.2 KB

Old 05-13-2011, 10:49 AM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Is the kit being installed on the engine with stock internals or forged internals?

Old 05-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Former Vendor
Sales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud ofSales@Forged has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by venkatreddytx
Is the kit being installed on the engine with stock internals or forged internals?
The customer will be sticking with the stock internals for now.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:25 PM
LuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Sales@Forged
The customer will be sticking with the stock internals for now.
Goodnight Sweet Engine

Old 05-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Dvh
Dvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by LuckyEff
Goodnight Sweet Engine
why would you make this statement when other well established tuners have 800hp pkgs with stock motor that have proven to be very reliable. Switzer has over 100 of them with few/no issues!

Old 05-15-2011, 07:56 AM
NVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Dvh
why would you make this statement when other well established tuners have 800hp pkgs with stock motor that have proven to be very reliable. Switzer has over 100 of them with few/no issues!
Debatable. Not re: Switzer specifically by any means. I know they have a lot of 800 bhp pkgs out there. But OP stated 700+ whp. Probably just fine on stock internals. But some things are creeping up lately around those power levels. Even Switzer has changed their plans a bit with the E900 pkg, to their credit.
Also, he may have been saying "Good Grief, (long pause) Sweet Engine!" I dunno

Last edited by NVRENUF; 05-15-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:47 AM
LuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dvh
SPI are a little optimistic numbers for 700whp.i know 2 people here with p800 both make 640whp on a dyno here.

700whp on one dyno, 640whp on another. It's just a number.

Most of the time these kits arent on full tilt, they run low boost.

Oh i have seen bent rods are 550whp and im sure you would have too.

Not all engines are 2jz.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Dvh
Dvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by LuckyEff
SPI are a little optimistic numbers for 700whp.i know 2 people here with p800 both make 640whp on a dyno here.

700whp on one dyno, 640whp on another. It's just a number.

Most of the time these kits arent on full tilt, they run low boost.

Oh i have seen bent rods are 550whp and im sure you would have too.

Not all engines are 2jz.
I'm very curious about your comment on bent rods. I've only heard of one case where bent rods were discovered but it was on a car running higher than a P800 kit. I am not aware of Switzer having any issues with their kits and they appear very reliable.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Former Vendor
Just a little clarification on this project. We will not be tuning this car to maximum power. Given the capabilities of this turbo kit, that would indeed compromise the stock internals. We will be tuning this car on lower boost to an appropriate power level. We usually see around 600-630whp on pump gas (93oct) and about 670whp on E85 with the Switzer P800 kits or AMS Alpha 9 kits. We will be tuning this car to slightly higher numbers (approx 30whp on E85). I would hardly say this difference in power will be enough to write off the stock motor. In any case, this customer has plans to bring the car back at the end of the year for a motor build. I hope this helps clear things up.

-Ryan

Old 05-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Former Vendor
Update: Turbo's are mounted!

Name:  DPmock.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  424.9 KB

Old 05-16-2011, 04:53 PM
vegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dvh
I'm very curious about your comment on bent rods. I've only heard of one case where bent rods were discovered but it was on a car running higher than a P800 kit. I am not aware of Switzer having any issues with their kits and they appear very reliable.
Stock rods bend at 700 whp range

that came straight from HKS , who did some serious testing

so anywhere in that area..its a crap shoot.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Dvh
Originally Posted by vegasGTR
Stock rods bend at 700 whp range

that came straight from HKS , who did some serious testing

so anywhere in that area..its a crap shoot.
Yes but 550 hp isn't anywhere "in that area" and is quite an eye opening statement that warrants backing up.

Like I said, interested in cited examples. vs. 2nd hand references. If Mr. Lucky has such knowledge I'd like to know about it as it will be quite an eye opening bit of information.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:29 AM
Sorry been busy, Dvh quite a few engines have blown at 550whp range. You should check nagtroc, most are kept hush hush but a few do pop up.

Sharif told himself P800 kits produce around 640whp which is a safer range.

HKS themselves say 700whp need rods replacing. So i do not think my references are second hand.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:45 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Dvh
Yes but 550 hp isn't anywhere "in that area" and is quite an eye opening statement that warrants backing up.

Like I said, interested in cited examples. vs. 2nd hand references. If Mr. Lucky has such knowledge I'd like to know about it as it will be quite an eye opening bit of information.
I have read about these blown motors too. Usually it is because of people who drive their GT-R at 180+ on the Autobahn for long periods of time. The stock turbos pushed to their max are actually more dangerous than upgraded turbos which will make more power but are running efficiently. IMHO of course

I think this motor will be safe sine Forged is not going to crank the boost way up. As long as safety is kept in mind this motor should turn out fine.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Former Vendor
Wastegates are mounted now as well....

Name:  DSC_3544.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  480.9 KB

Name:  WGon.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  294.7 KB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Forged Performance: HKS GT800 Turbo Kit Install