Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Dealer issue with test driving used GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 01:14 AM
Riceater is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DarrinB
When I was 23 I went to the local BMW dealer after I left the gym looking for a used 2006 M5.

Salesperson took me to one on the lot and I sat in the drivers seat and started the car. I asked him to get a plate so I can test drive it.

He then states "lets go back inside and make sure our numbers match before we let you drive the car". If there's one way to get me sold on the car like an M5 is to let me drive it.

I guess because I was dressed in sweats and a t shirt they didnt take me serious. So the next weekend I went out to Chicago and bought an M5 with more options and less miles at a cheaper price. The following Monday I went to the local dealer that wouldn't let me drive the car and bought a license plate frame from them. Salesman then states "WOW, you really went and got the car" I had them help me put on the plate frame and went on my way.

Hey they may of missed out on the $50,000 sale but at least I bought the $30 plate frame from them.
Lawl! : ) I've done this a few times. I was only 21 at the time but the last car I bought was a C6 and when I was at the dealer the D-bag salesman at Chevy came over to me as I was looking at one of the grandsports and was like.."so, if we can keep your payments around $700 a month you think we got a deal?" in a fairly condescending tone. Just laughed and said "actually, mine's outside, I'm just looking." Foot in mouth..

For reference it wasn't a new one.. I'll probably never buy a brand new car as I don't like pissing money away to depreciation.. but it was an 08' LS3 Z51 with just a Cam, Headers, ZO6 borla exhaust, coilovers, and every option. One of my favorite sports cars that I've owned/driven for the money. But just annoying how you get treated if you're younger and looking at anything other than a $15,000 sedan.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:19 AM
X-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Riceater
Lawl! : ) I've done this a few times. I was only 21 at the time but the last car I bought was a C6 and when I was at the dealer the D-bag salesman at Chevy came over to me as I was looking at one of the grandsports and was like.."so, if we can keep your payments around $700 a month you think we got a deal?" in a fairly condescending tone. Just laughed and said "actually, mine's outside, I'm just looking." Foot in mouth..

For reference it wasn't a new one.. I'll probably never buy a brand new car as I don't like pissing money away to depreciation.. but it was an 08' LS3 Z51 with just a Cam, Headers, ZO6 borla exhaust, coilovers, and every option. One of my favorite sports cars that I've owned/driven for the money. But just annoying how you get treated if you're younger and looking at anything other than a $15,000 sedan.

Nice response. What a tool.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:28 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe the reason dealers are reluctant to allow test driving of the GTR is because they know people will be tempted to floor it. Even though tthe launch issues have been resolved, they may still be afraid someone might ruin one of these cars.
I have test driven many cars where the salesman encouraged me to "hit it, don't be afraid." So I hit it. Doing that in a GTR may not be something they feel comfortable about.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:38 PM
X-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of light
I babied my Evo during the test drive, knowing full well it was not broken in and not my car. Glad I did.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:54 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by titannero
Many dealers with GTR's think they are super-exotics, which is strange. While you can easily go to any Porsche dealer and test drive a $100k+ car without any questions. Its strange for sure. I would prefer to talk to someone with a GTR as the community is very good and many people will be happy to show you and let you drive their GTR.
Let's look at it from a dealer perspective. When the GT-R came out - people flocked to dealerships, with ZERO intention to buy one. When I went into my dealership to pick mine up - it was roped off, because I pre-ordered it, so it couldn't be driven by anybody other than the GM, MY service rep, and MY GT-R tech. But there were no less than 20 people standing around it, asking to get in. This went on for months (as other GT-R's came in), and still happens to this day.

I was denied a test drive in an E46 M3 (when it was new), and a Porsche C2S. When I drove up in my GT-R, I was given keys to both (The Porsche dealer threw the keys at me and said,"Bring her back before closing.").

Some dealerships experienced hundreds of people coming in to look at the car, without the intention of buying it. I imagine this wears on people. I know it would wear on me.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Former Vendor
titannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nice
I can agree with this statement, I think what it boils down to is the way some of these dealers try to pre-qualify their buyers.

Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Let's look at it from a dealer perspective. When the GT-R came out - people flocked to dealerships, with ZERO intention to buy one. When I went into my dealership to pick mine up - it was roped off, because I pre-ordered it, so it couldn't be driven by anybody other than the GM, MY service rep, and MY GT-R tech. But there were no less than 20 people standing around it, asking to get in. This went on for months (as other GT-R's came in), and still happens to this day.

I was denied a test drive in an E46 M3 (when it was new), and a Porsche C2S. When I drove up in my GT-R, I was given keys to both (The Porsche dealer threw the keys at me and said,"Bring her back before closing.").

Some dealerships experienced hundreds of people coming in to look at the car, without the intention of buying it. I imagine this wears on people. I know it would wear on me.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:15 PM
QueueCumber is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bigdaddyrobb
I went to look at a used GTR. I was looking at a used 07 911 Turbo later in the day. It was an 09 with a Nismo midpipe and a cobb accessport in the trunk. I spoke to the salesperson for a bit. Then got to the test drive portion before we sat down to discuss numbers. He said the manager would let anyone drive it. Went and spoke to the manager and said that I should drive the 911 and if I liked it buy it. If I was still interested in the GTR we could do everything (including negotiating a price), I could put down a deposit and then i could drive it. BTW this is an infinity dealership #1 Cochran in Pittsburgh.

I went and drove a 07 911 turbo without an issue. Even drove a used orange gt3rs that I just mentioned.

This is a $70k used car. I didnt get the issue with me driving it. Its only 85 hp more than my current Audi and has all the nannies to keep it safe. I wasnt going to beat it, just wanted to see if I liked the car/tranny enough to own. Still want to try a GTR before I make up my mind on a GTR or 911 Turbo.
I can understand the dealer saying that with a new car, since someone buying a new GT-R might be picky about the car being driven before and how it was treated (it could have been the dealership owner flooring it around town...). A used car though. That does seem a little over the top.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:49 PM
fosingwo is infamous around these parts
big dealers should have a test car just for test driving.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:58 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fosingwo
big dealers should have a test car just for test driving.
Dealers are limited to their GT-R allocations.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:21 AM
adamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the rough
i drove a used gtr with 1300 miles on it from a nissan dealer... i remember when they 1st came out though they only let me sit in it and start it up

Old 08-23-2011, 06:32 PM
'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light
I guess it goes to show it's the people you know. When I bought mine (Bob Howard Nissan in Edmond, OK) it was the only GT-R they had in stock, owner had it trailered down to trade for a 2012, it had 8,000 miles on it. The day before Russell Westbrook came in to test drive it, and then proceeded to order a 2012. I found the car through an auto search and called a friend who was one of the finance guys at a sister dealership, Bob Howard Acura, he spoke to the GM and they had the car ready for me to go over when I got there. I looked over it and asked to drive, they promptly opened the show room doors, backed it out, and handed me the keys. I was impressed, a 25 year old kid basically to them and they let me drive it. That was enough, and I came back the next day, wrote the check, and took it home.

A few months before that I was looking for a 335i daily, found a few locally that I liked and went to another franchise dealership to test drive it, I think this was a Ford store, but they had the car in on trade. The sales person didn't let me as much as touch it and said that "you know, with these types of cars we don't anybody test them", that was enough and I just told him thanks and went on my way. While walking away he said he could speak to his manager and let me drive it, but that was enough for me. I hate being sized up, not every person my age is a lazy bum.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by 'Trust'
I guess it goes to show it's the people you know. When I bought mine (Bob Howard Nissan in Edmond, OK) it was the only GT-R they had in stock, owner had it trailered down to trade for a 2012, it had 8,000 miles on it. The day before Russell Westbrook came in to test drive it, and then proceeded to order a 2012. I found the car through an auto search and called a friend who was one of the finance guys at a sister dealership, Bob Howard Acura, he spoke to the GM and they had the car ready for me to go over when I got there. I looked over it and asked to drive, they promptly opened the show room doors, backed it out, and handed me the keys. I was impressed, a 25 year old kid basically to them and they let me drive it. That was enough, and I came back the next day, wrote the check, and took it home.

A few months before that I was looking for a 335i daily, found a few locally that I liked and went to another franchise dealership to test drive it, I think this was a Ford store, but they had the car in on trade. The sales person didn't let me as much as touch it and said that "you know, with these types of cars we don't anybody test them", that was enough and I just told him thanks and went on my way. While walking away he said he could speak to his manager and let me drive it, but that was enough for me. I hate being sized up, not every person my age is a lazy bum.
lol! Good story. Not every person my age is a lazy bum, but some of us are.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:43 PM
revracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nice
The issue with high end cars is people of all ages want to drive them. I sell Fords and we have 2 Shelbys and 1 Raptor. Everyone from 8-80 wants to go out and flog them, we literally had a 65 year old woman do 120 in a raptor with on a sales demo. We are really just trying to protect ourselves and not miss out on another more promising sale because the big ticket items dont sell nearly as well as a cheaper car. I'm 22 so I hate being treated poorly when I want to drop big money on something and no one will even give me a second of attention.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:17 AM
AverageJoe is just really niceAverageJoe is just really niceAverageJoe is just really niceAverageJoe is just really nice
Originally Posted by DarrinB
When I was 23 I went to the local BMW dealer after I left the gym looking for a used 2006 M5.

Salesperson took me to one on the lot and I sat in the drivers seat and started the car. I asked him to get a plate so I can test drive it.

He then states "lets go back inside and make sure our numbers match before we let you drive the car". If there's one way to get me sold on the car like an M5 is to let me drive it.

I guess because I was dressed in sweats and a t shirt they didnt take me serious. So the next weekend I went out to Chicago and bought an M5 with more options and less miles at a cheaper price. The following Monday I went to the local dealer that wouldn't let me drive the car and bought a license plate frame from them. Salesman then states "WOW, you really went and got the car" I had them help me put on the plate frame and went on my way.

Hey they may of missed out on the $50,000 sale but at least I bought the $30 plate frame from them.
LOL that's awesome.

As far as the OP...not letting someone drive a NEW GTR, I can understand. A used one?...not so much.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:34 PM
donho is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Opusman
Thats pretty bad, but I was even declined the option to test drive the new Evo and STi! The guy at Subaru refused to even open the door for me to look inside.....I arrived at the dealership with a car worth more then theirs and also was dressed appropriate. Only reason they didnt let me test drive is because Im 21 and look even younger . Mitsu wanted to run my credit first, I told them no way and neither will ever get my business. Boise is a joke though these dealerships think all their cars are worth 5-10k more then anywhere else.

Im going to try and get a test drive of a GT-R on tuesday thats when we have an appointment scheduled.

My advise would be to not give them any business
screw dealers like this. I walk in dealers with shorts and a tshirt, just to see if anyone helps me. If they are not helpful or rude in anyway, I am gone.
I made the deal for my X5m on the phone. I showed up with a checkbook and dressed in shorts and tshirt. The salesperson first said they could not take a personal check??? and asked if I had a certified one? I told him, if they could not take my personal check, I was leaving. he asked his manager and he allowed it, but only after they ran my credit. Thinking back, I should have refused the credit check, just out of principal

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer issue with test driving used GTR