Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Dealer issue with test driving used GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 08:16 AM
bigdaddyrobb is infamous around these parts
Dealer issue with test driving used GTR

I went to look at a used GTR. I was looking at a used 07 911 Turbo later in the day. It was an 09 with a Nismo midpipe and a cobb accessport in the trunk. I spoke to the salesperson for a bit. Then got to the test drive portion before we sat down to discuss numbers. He said the manager would let anyone drive it. Went and spoke to the manager and said that I should drive the 911 and if I liked it buy it. If I was still interested in the GTR we could do everything (including negotiating a price), I could put down a deposit and then i could drive it. BTW this is an infinity dealership #1 Cochran in Pittsburgh.

I went and drove a 07 911 turbo without an issue. Even drove a used orange gt3rs that I just mentioned.

This is a $70k used car. I didnt get the issue with me driving it. Its only 85 hp more than my current Audi and has all the nannies to keep it safe. I wasnt going to beat it, just wanted to see if I liked the car/tranny enough to own. Still want to try a GTR before I make up my mind on a GTR or 911 Turbo.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:50 AM
LuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud of
Post in the local forum on Nagtroc and ask a forum member to give you a test drive.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:44 PM
nickytalon is infamous around these parts
997 pdk>gtr

This is from a GTR owner

Old 07-02-2011, 05:36 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
i wouldnt dare give that dealer any business...remember you are the customer

i looked at an 09 gtr and an 08 997TT, went w/ the porsche and couldnt be happier

still love the gtr for its technology and power

Old 07-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Opusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to beholdOpusman is a splendid one to behold
Thats pretty bad, but I was even declined the option to test drive the new Evo and STi! The guy at Subaru refused to even open the door for me to look inside.....I arrived at the dealership with a car worth more then theirs and also was dressed appropriate. Only reason they didnt let me test drive is because Im 21 and look even younger . Mitsu wanted to run my credit first, I told them no way and neither will ever get my business. Boise is a joke though these dealerships think all their cars are worth 5-10k more then anywhere else.

Im going to try and get a test drive of a GT-R on tuesday thats when we have an appointment scheduled.

My advise would be to not give them any business

Old 07-03-2011, 06:20 AM
LuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by nickytalon
997 pdk>gtr

This is from a GTR owner
Lol i could find you 5 people who say GTR > 911 TT

OP i see you live in Hoboken NJ. Post on Nagtroc's regional sub forum and score a test drive. You will have a very good idea about you choice.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Tachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Opusman
Thats pretty bad, but I was even declined the option to test drive the new Evo and STi! The guy at Subaru refused to even open the door for me to look inside.....I arrived at the dealership with a car worth more then theirs and also was dressed appropriate. Only reason they didnt let me test drive is because Im 21 and look even younger . Mitsu wanted to run my credit first, I told them no way and neither will ever get my business. Boise is a joke though these dealerships think all their cars are worth 5-10k more then anywhere else.

Im going to try and get a test drive of a GT-R on tuesday thats when we have an appointment scheduled.

My advise would be to not give them any business
LOL! I went to the Nissan dealer to purchase their last 2010 GTR sitting in the showroom (they had sold 10 previously). I found this GT-R not by an auto-search, but by calling the dealership directly. The dealer stated that he did not allow any test drives (and I am 57), nor had the dealer let anyone else test drive these cars in the past. He said "You either know you want one based on the facts, or you don't." Now is that a sales pressure tactic? I don't think so. I just think he truly likes these cars, and he was advising me to get a brain.

My wife came in, and he later unlocked it. After another 30 minute discussion about this car along with thoughts on the 2011 and 2012 models, he did start it up and showed me all of its features. The only way I could drive it was to buy it. He said that if I did not like it, to bring it back for a full refund. So I then bought it, drove it, and never gave it back!

In hindsight, he was right, and I was really glad a lot of people did not get test drive this rare car, no... MY CAR!

Oh, I forgot to mention that those 10 people above who also purchased a GT-R without getting to drive it before buying it, they never asked the dealer for a refund either!

Last edited by Tachsman; 07-04-2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Oh, I forgot...
Old 07-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Mig7410 is infamous around these parts
Test drives are a catch 22. Yes I do want to test drive the car before I buy, but I don't want to buy a new car that has been test driven.
I test drove a Corvette ZR1 last week with almost 300 miles on it, and the tires were out of balance, I bet when it had 5 miles on it they were fine.
I test drove a Porsche Turbo S later that day, it had 5 miles on it and ran perfect, guess what I bought.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:20 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mig7410
Test drives are a catch 22. Yes I do want to test drive the car before I buy, but I don't want to buy a new car that has been test driven.
I test drove a Corvette ZR1 last week with almost 300 miles on it, and the tires were out of balance, I bet when it had 5 miles on it they were fine.
I test drove a Porsche Turbo S later that day, it had 5 miles on it and ran perfect, guess what I bought.
Well said.... I want a to do a test drive but I do not want to think about the test drives the car has had previously. On a low production car like the GTR I can see where dealers are coming from.

I actually tried to setup an appointment to test drive a 12 GTR and was turned down. I asked if any test drives were ever given and he said no. So, apparently your experience was not rare and appears to be actually normal for GTR's.

Jason

Old 07-07-2011, 07:04 PM
NSXFTW is infamous around these parts
Yep, same story. Friends dad had bought a audi rs4, porsche carerra, and m5 bmw from all around general area, dealership said sorry. You cant really get mad, if i owned a dealership i wouldnt let ppls test low production cars..... Otherwise sign me up for the lfa

Old 07-08-2011, 10:18 AM
evo911 is a jewel in the roughevo911 is a jewel in the roughevo911 is a jewel in the roughevo911 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by LuckyEff
Lol i could find you 5 people who say GTR > 911 TT

OP i see you live in Hoboken NJ. Post on Nagtroc's regional sub forum and score a test drive. You will have a very good idea about you choice.
agreed!

Old 07-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Former Vendor
titannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nice
Many dealers with GTR's think they are super-exotics, which is strange. While you can easily go to any Porsche dealer and test drive a $100k+ car without any questions. Its strange for sure. I would prefer to talk to someone with a GTR as the community is very good and many people will be happy to show you and let you drive their GTR.

Originally Posted by bigdaddyrobb
I went to look at a used GTR. I was looking at a used 07 911 Turbo later in the day. It was an 09 with a Nismo midpipe and a cobb accessport in the trunk. I spoke to the salesperson for a bit. Then got to the test drive portion before we sat down to discuss numbers. He said the manager would let anyone drive it. Went and spoke to the manager and said that I should drive the 911 and if I liked it buy it. If I was still interested in the GTR we could do everything (including negotiating a price), I could put down a deposit and then i could drive it. BTW this is an infinity dealership #1 Cochran in Pittsburgh.

I went and drove a 07 911 turbo without an issue. Even drove a used orange gt3rs that I just mentioned.

This is a $70k used car. I didnt get the issue with me driving it. Its only 85 hp more than my current Audi and has all the nannies to keep it safe. I wasnt going to beat it, just wanted to see if I liked the car/tranny enough to own. Still want to try a GTR before I make up my mind on a GTR or 911 Turbo.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:06 PM
X-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of lightX-Factor is a glorious beacon of light
When I bought my '10 Evo a few months ago it was still new. Had sat on the dealer floor for almost a year and had 13 miles on it. The dealer wouldn't let ANYONE drive it but I think one other person. I drove almost 3 hours to go see it and told the guy that I wouldn't come down there and NOT drive it. He met me at my car door with the keys to the Evo. 13 mile test drive later I was hooked. I WILL insist on driving something before driving or I will walk; I do appreciate everyone ELSE not being allowed to drive it because then I know more about what the car has been through before my grubby hands got to her.

Not being allowed to even get IN a new STi (mind blowing, would NOT happen around here)? Not being allowed to test drive a USED GTR? Unbelievable. I'd walk right out the door.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Riceater is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by X-Factor
When I bought my '10 Evo a few months ago it was still new. Had sat on the dealer floor for almost a year and had 13 miles on it. The dealer wouldn't let ANYONE drive it but I think one other person. I drove almost 3 hours to go see it and told the guy that I wouldn't come down there and NOT drive it. He met me at my car door with the keys to the Evo. 13 mile test drive later I was hooked. I WILL insist on driving something before driving or I will walk; I do appreciate everyone ELSE not being allowed to drive it because then I know more about what the car has been through before my grubby hands got to her.

Not being allowed to even get IN a new STi (mind blowing, would NOT happen around here)? Not being allowed to test drive a USED GTR? Unbelievable. I'd walk right out the door.
Exactly. I can't imagine spending that amount of money on a car without being able to at least drive it a bit. Although, having never driven a GTR myself. I'm sure I'd love it! : ) Have a lot of work ahead of me though before I can afford one.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:01 PM
DarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to all
When I was 23 I went to the local BMW dealer after I left the gym looking for a used 2006 M5.

Salesperson took me to one on the lot and I sat in the drivers seat and started the car. I asked him to get a plate so I can test drive it.

He then states "lets go back inside and make sure our numbers match before we let you drive the car". If there's one way to get me sold on the car like an M5 is to let me drive it.

I guess because I was dressed in sweats and a t shirt they didnt take me serious. So the next weekend I went out to Chicago and bought an M5 with more options and less miles at a cheaper price. The following Monday I went to the local dealer that wouldn't let me drive the car and bought a license plate frame from them. Salesman then states "WOW, you really went and got the car" I had them help me put on the plate frame and went on my way.

Hey they may of missed out on the $50,000 sale but at least I bought the $30 plate frame from them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer issue with test driving used GTR