Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

A day in the life at Switzer..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Trevor is infamous around these parts
A day in the life at Switzer..

First off, I want to thank Neil, Tym and Tym Sr. from the bottom of my heart. Your hospitality, attitude and passion made the trip down to your facility an eye-opening experience! Never have I met a group of people so passionate about pushing the envelope of reliable power, customer service and giving the community an overall better product.

Let me say that this trip has been on my mind for a long time, but conflicting schedules on my part have delayed it for the better part of a year. My wife and I have been trying to plan just a day for us to go and do something for ourselves. Being the car fanatic she is and the horsepower junkie I am, we decided we should take a day and visit the guys (and girls) at Switzer. Knowing full well that they had guests on the way, they were FULL steam ahead pumping out GT-R's and 911's. They welcomed my wife and I to hang out at their facility and basically give us a day in the life at Switzer.

When we arrived, Neil was kind enough to stop what he was doing right then and there and show us around.. the "grand tour" if you will. Showing us the different parts of the facility, he also gave us the run down on each and EVERY car getting modified. Including Scott's 1200awhp GT-R. My wife being overwhelmed with GT-R love just couldn't help but ask question after question. Neil happily entertained her, and myself with every question we had.... damn near to what color the sky was. Neil continued by showing us the fabrication department, including the MASSIVE intercoolers that they build by hand and the custom turbo's for different applications. After checking out the main attraction of the 911's and GT-R's, Tym invited us to lunch to a nice local bar and grill down the street from them. Tym had grabbed the bill for all of us before I had even finished my lunch, no questions asked. (Tym I owe you and your daughter lunch some time.... Neil, well.. we'll figure something out haha)

However, this was not before Tym Sr. pulled us aside and gave us the VIP treatment of the engine room. This was, to me, the Holy Grail of this facility. Sadly though, I cannot reveal what I may or may have not seen behind those doors. What I did see, were a few unicorns a leprechaun and a mad scientist. What I had learned about engine theory over the years and thought about basic mechanical laws of physics..... were thrown out the window. And I will leave it at that. There are reasons why Switzer's engine development program works. Reasons that if I could tell you, I wouldn't be able to explain why, nor would you understand. Tym Sr. made it very eye opening to me right before we left for lunch. He said, "We have not had one of our customers come back to us to complain.... about anything. This includes oil leaks, coolant leaks, loss of power or even engine failure on our built engines. Think about that, not one." And that right there blew my mind.

I have been around performance shops my whole life, knowing some of the rather well established tuning companies in the states. Having turned wrenches for some of them as well as managing others, I will say that this facility and staff are like a fine tuned swiss watch. Spending the better part of the day with Neil and Tym and Tym Sr. was such a breathe of fresh air compared to some of these other companies and tuners. This place is family oriented with passionate and realistic goals for their company and customers. This place is real and not in the literal sense. What these guys are doing here is far beyond what anyone is currently doing. These aren't a few friends that wanted to tinker with cars and make a cash cow out of it and turn a profit. This is a family, one that believes in giving the community a better product and someone who stands behind their service. At the end of the day, this their family name on their product and service to the community. My wife and I left for the drive home overwhelmed and astonished.

As Tom Connellan once said...

"One person with a passion is better than 40 who are merely interested"

Old 06-24-2011, 01:42 PM
TeamDcx is infamous around these parts
Great write up. I've been communicating with Neil through email about getting my Porsche upgraded to either a P800 or R911, and he has been nothing but professional, kind, and responsive. He wasn't trying to chase the dollar, but instead he tried to find the best system for my needs. I even asked about getting the 911 R1k package, but he stated it was to new and more test needed to be done. I know other tuner would have jumped at the opportunity for you to spend another $20k. Therefore, I tip my hat to them. Thanks Switzer.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:34 AM
AverageJoe is just really niceAverageJoe is just really niceAverageJoe is just really niceAverageJoe is just really nice
Cool writeup, you're a good writer, you could easily see something like that in a mag. Seriously.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Trevor is infamous around these parts
Thanks guys, those guys are great at what they do and I consider them more friends than business relationship.

Joe, thanks for the complements... Maybe I'll look into it haha.