Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Drag race: GT-R vs 10 other prduction cars...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 04:24 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thirst
i am pretty sure that they had the '12 GTR as it had 530hps no?
If that is the case, then you are correct. I didn't notice the GT-R.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Tachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to behold
Its fun to consider the following variances in the different model year GT-Rs:

2009-2011 = 485 BHP, 434 Torque, LC-1, LC-2 or LC-3, PSI 12

2012 = 530 BHP, 448 Torque, LC-4, PSI 14, slightly larger intake piping, slightly larger midpipe, slightly smaller turbos, same motor, same transmission & differential, 1 pound less per wheel.

Stage-2 Gains with tune and larger aftermarket downpipes through exhaust:
2009-2011 about 530 WHP
2012 about 530 WHP

Therefore the Biggest Difference between the 2009-2011 models and the 2012 GT-R in the quarter mile I think is due to the new LC-4 and the increased PSI.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:31 PM
speedup is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tachsman
Its fun to consider the following variances in the different model year GT-Rs:

2009-2011 = 485 BHP, 434 Torque, LC-1, LC-2 or LC-3, PSI 12

2012 = 530 BHP, 448 Torque, LC-4, PSI 14, slightly larger intake piping, slightly larger midpipe, slightly smaller turbos, same motor, same transmission & differential, 1 pound less per wheel.

Stage-2 Gains with tune and larger aftermarket downpipes through exhaust:
2009-2011 about 530 WHP
2012 about 530 WHP

Therefore the Biggest Difference between the 2009-2011 models and the 2012 GT-R in the quarter mile I think is due to the new LC-4 and the increased PSI.
A well known tuner in the GTR community I know tells me he is getting about 20-30whp more from the 2012s due to the larger turbo inlets. The turbos are not smaller.

From Nissan: 2012 power upgrades are a result of "modifying the boost pressure of the turbocharger, valve timing and air mixture ratio, and through reducing intake air resistance by enlarging the inlet pipe diameter. In addition, exhaust air resistance was reduced through use of an enlarged section of exhaust pipe."

Last edited by speedup; 09-13-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:36 PM
12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold
GTR that fast ?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:34 AM
Tachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by speedup
A well known tuner in the GTR community I know tells me he is getting about 20-30whp more from the 2012s due to the larger turbo inlets. The turbos are not smaller.

From Nissan: 2012 power upgrades are a result of "modifying the boost pressure of the turbocharger, valve timing and air mixture ratio, and through reducing intake air resistance by enlarging the inlet pipe diameter. In addition, exhaust air resistance was reduced through use of an enlarged section of exhaust pipe."
I believe you are correct about the 2012 turbo inlets being larger, however, I also read somewhere that the actual turbo fan blades are slightly smaller and thus the maximum PSI obtainable from them was less. You still seem to gain the most horsepower from enlarging the old restrictive midpipe system IMO.

As a result of the increased PSI and power in the 2012, valve timing and air mixture ratios had to be altered as you suggest. The increased air intake inlet size is not much of a factor here compared to the increased PSI and lowered back pressure IMO.

All GT-R models improve using the better quality aftermarket downpipes and exhaust products IMO. I also think the stock engine was actually designed for 600 bhp, Nissan just limits it in all models made thus far. Changing to larger aftermarket turbos allows for major power production in all GT-Rs, but say goodbye to the OEM warranty. I just can't afford to do that. Nor do I desire to stress the engine and transmission at those power levels, because I plan to keep my GT-R as long as I have a garage.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:02 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by superbike81
So they would say it's easy to get a good launch? Even with launch control, a Corvette is still going to have problems getting off the line as quickly as a GTR unless it's on drag radials. My wife could run an 11sec 1/4 in a GTR, but it takes a very skilled driver to get the most out of a Corvette.
exactly

Old 09-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Mercennarius is infamous around these parts
I believe you are correct about the 2012 turbo inlets being larger, however, I also read somewhere that the actual turbo fan blades are slightly smaller and thus the maximum PSI obtainable from them was less.
This is not true, the 2012 turbos are no smaller then the 2009-2011 turbos.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:39 AM
adamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the rough
thats like my dream garage LOL no doubt that all cars are absolutely amazing and they all have there cons and pros for different things... but i think one of the points which continues to be shown is that GTR has astonishing performance for the value. Now this doesnt mean that the GTR is better than the LF-A. Like mentioned each car has itsown "thing" .

Old 09-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Mercennarius
This is not true, the 2012 turbos are no smaller then the 2009-2011 turbos.
This is good to know. Just goes to prove you can't believe everything you read.

So how did you come by this information? Do you have a reference that can be cited here? Thanks.

One of the problems I worry about is that the stock rods have been shown to bend with as low as 520-530 WHP. So going beyond this power level to me is risky unless I go to forged internals. If I did that, then I most certainly go with bigger aftermarket turbos to get 700 WHP.

Thus for me, the 2012 model exceeds in its LC-4, but even at higher power levels, I know I would not like to load the transmission at over 4000 RPM on a launch. As far as handling, I think coilovers are the way to go. This is why I think any model GT-R you buy has the capability to perform at any level available today, and can go way beyond the OEM model.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:52 AM
TMC CL65 is a jewel in the roughTMC CL65 is a jewel in the roughTMC CL65 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 'Trust'
True, but that also depends on if they spun. Cars that spin trap higher (if we are talking timers on a traditional track) because of how track timers calculate ET MPH, non laser based. If those were V-Boxed or Lasered than I'd retract that, but I don't know.

I completely agree, over all 458 would win a longer stretch. Lots of cars in there are too close to call though.
Spinning really isn't going to change the trap speed results between the vbox or the drag strip's timing lights. Most U.S. car mags do a 1 foot roll-out (simulating the staged timing lights at the strip) and just take the trap speed at 1,320'... where as the drag strip averages the last 66' of the run. I have run my vbox at the strip and it usually is about 1.5% higher on the vbox...which makes sense since the drag strip time is an average speed over the last 66'. What would cause a great disparity in vbox/strip trap speed, is if the car makes an upshift in that last 66' at the drag strip. Otherwise, the spinning at the start of the race will be reflected similarly between the two methods of arriving at trap speed.

Tom

Last edited by TMC CL65; 09-15-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
This is good to know. Just goes to prove you can't believe everything you read.

So how did you come by this information? Do you have a reference that can be cited here? Thanks.
The turbo intake pipes to the turbos are about 5mm larger. The turbo compressor cover has larger porting to suit. Internally however the turbos are exactly the same as before.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/1420941-post106.html

Old 09-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
The turbo intake pipes to the turbos are about 5mm larger. The turbo compressor cover has larger porting to suit. Internally however the turbos are exactly the same as before.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/1420941-post106.html
Thanks Divexxtreme for posting this great reference site on the GT-R!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:05 PM
LuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud of
^ To add to that the peak boost is the same in 2012 if not less than previous model GTRs ( '09, '10, '11 )!!

Link: http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...ssan-gt-r.html

Last edited by LuckyEff; 09-16-2011 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Graphs
Old 09-18-2011, 07:02 PM
golfinz is infamous around these parts
Interesting set of cars running but cool video/concept none the less