Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

GTR Weight Loss Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 04:05 PM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
GTR Weight Loss Thread

Guys, as this is one of the most important issue of GTR.
so what is most heavy that can be replaced?

Old 11-05-2011, 07:13 PM
vegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond repute
seats, runflat tires , full exhaust..

that will save 150lbs

Old 11-05-2011, 08:32 PM
besiktas is infamous around these partsbesiktas is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vegasGTR

that will save 150lbs
add brakes and some light wheels and that will be close to 200lbs.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:39 AM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
not sure, spec-v is running with titan exhaust, lighter wheels, carbon seats, ceramic brakes.rear seats less and a lot of carbon bits and all together is just 60 kilograms less so it's nearly nothing.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:48 AM
e46m3smg is infamous around these partse46m3smg is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 997 GT3 RS/TT
not sure, spec-v is running with titan exhaust, lighter wheels, carbon seats, ceramic brakes.rear seats less and a lot of carbon bits and all together is just 60 kilograms less so it's nearly nothing.
I was surprised too, I don't know how much the wheels for the V-Spec weigh but I'm not sure if the used the absolute LIGHTEST wheels possible. Also have you seen the carbon roof by AMS, that saves some weight and in the best place for a sprung non-rotating part. It is expensive though but you can drop ~200-250kg from the car if you really try. The engine is pretty heavy in this car, throw that out

Old 11-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Tachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to beholdTachsman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by e46m3smg
I was surprised too, I don't know how much the wheels for the V-Spec weigh but I'm not sure if the used the absolute LIGHTEST wheels possible. Also have you seen the carbon roof by AMS, that saves some weight and in the best place for a sprung non-rotating part. It is expensive though but you can drop ~200-250kg from the car if you really try. The engine is pretty heavy in this car, throw that out
If you throw the engine out, you can then save a lot more weight by also throwing out the AWD transmission. And a real savvy person would also get rid of the wheels and suspension at that point. However, there will be a point of diminishing returns regarding your overall times.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:00 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Removing back seats however would be a good weight save option and quite cheap

Old 11-15-2011, 06:16 AM
adamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the rough
A diet hahaha!!

Old 11-15-2011, 07:36 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vegasGTR

that will save 150lbs
Exactly! Anything beyond this, and you're modifying some serious stoff out of the car.
Originally Posted by besiktas
add brakes and some light wheels and that will be close to 200lbs.
The stock wheels are about as light as they come. The $15k CC brakes from AP will shed some weight, but your typical brake replacements won't save that much.
Originally Posted by e46m3smg
The SpecV wheels are about ~1-2lbs less (if that, it has been a while). The CF roof only saves about 5-7lbs. CF hood only saves a few lbs. I know if you add all of this up, it equals a little, but at what cost? A CF color car?
Originally Posted by Tachsman
If you throw the engine out, you can then save a lot more weight by also throwing out the AWD transmission. And a real savvy person would also get rid of the wheels and suspension at that point. However, there will be a point of diminishing returns regarding your overall times.

Originally Posted by mikegr
Removing back seats however would be a good weight save option and quite cheap
The back seats are just cushions that, when combined, total about 2 lbs. Not much savings there.

In my opinion, the standard exhaust, tires, and front seats are where most of the savings will come from. More expensive CF panels could shave another 50lbs (including fenders, hood, deck lid, and roof), and even more expensive CC brakes may shave another 50lbs or so.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:33 AM
'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light
I need this thread. I was surprised how heavy the wing was, my trunk is a lot lighter now. I just took it off to see if I like it then I'm going to the duckbill CF trunk and getting it painted. It doesn't seem like there is a ton you can take off this car .

Old 12-01-2011, 03:45 PM
gaw0319 is infamous around these parts
The exhaust and seats would make a big difference, for sure. If you're going with CF, I'd only bother on parts that are higher up on the car like the roof and potentially the hood, otherwise, I feel like the difference per dollar isn't good enough.
Wheels and brake rotors, of course, would make a good difference too, being rotational mass. The Volk RE30's seem to be some of the best weight for a wheel that still looks decent, but it's all preference of course.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:45 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gaw0319
The exhaust and seats would make a big difference, for sure. If you're going with CF, I'd only bother on parts that are higher up on the car like the roof and potentially the hood, otherwise, I feel like the difference per dollar isn't good enough.
Wheels and brake rotors, of course, would make a good difference too, being rotational mass. The Volk RE30's seem to be some of the best weight for a wheel that still looks decent, but it's all preference of course.
I thought the RE30's (in 20") weigh about the same as the stock wheels?

The big difference for track goers, is a smaller wheel, and a non-runflat tire. Some have gone with Enkei RFP-01's in 18 (I think, maybe 19" I can't remember), or the obligatory CCW's. I do know that certain wheels will fit in 18" while clearing stock calipers.

Typical weight savings from a CF hood is up to 15lbs, and the roof is about 9lbs (probably without clear coat or paint).

Last edited by jaspergtr; 12-01-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:14 PM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
stock exhaust has 4 cats, 2 resonators, and 2 big mufflers so i would guess a 50+ lb weight savings there. replace 2 power, heated seats with cf shells maybe another 75 lbs. wheels/tires maybe 15 lbs/corner unsprung.

i dont think weight loss is that big an issue with the car. it does not drive like a heavy car at all. it is very nimble and quick. and thats on the race track. on the street its perfect as is.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:39 AM
TWIN_TURBO has a spectacular aura aboutTWIN_TURBO has a spectacular aura about
Dont eat too much when race!!! Seats, Tires, exhaust!!!

Old 12-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
it looks there is a whole lot of audio in the gtr's - who has stripped that out?

does a full stripper gtr exist?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GTR Weight Loss Thread