Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

GT-R or M6???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 05:35 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by facialcrunch
UPDATE....

Thanks for all of the advice. The M6 is gone and I have my GT-R. WOW what a difference. First off I personally don't think it's as uncomfortable as many have stated. As for the speed... incredible. I can't believe I was even wasting brain-power on this decision. So glad the M6 is gone
lol! Now you understand how difficult it is to have a conversation with an ///M owner when it comes to the GT-R. A while back, when I first purchased mine, I knew there was no even comparison with the M3 and the GT-R. Not even close (regarding performance). I've found that those that prefer the performance of an ///M, have never experienced a GT-R.

Enjoy!

Maintenance isn't that bad if you don't flog it every day. I've tracked my car a little bit, and my rear rotors lasted 30,000 miles (only one set of pads in the rear). I go through tires and front brakes like it's crazy, though. lol!

Old 12-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Wiznaz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
By Cobb, did you mean the Y-pipe, Accessport, or intake, etc...?

Or just a company sticker?
Sticker kit

You wouldn't want to void that extended warranty. I forgot OP mentioned it had an AP already so I'd just get the typical bolt-ons. The stock GTR is a dog when compared to the "stage 2" (Alpha 6, Switzer, etc) kits.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Matrix is infamous around these parts
i had a 2007 M6 and now a 2009 GT-R.

M6 is a much softer ride, GT-R is VERY stiff.

GT-R is a MUCH better performer in every way.

M6 looks like any other 6 series except for the quad pipes

M6 gets 8-10 mpg city 140 miles to a tank city

GT-R gets 15-17 mp city 225 miles to a tank city

GT-R holds its value much better than a M6

BOTH have jerky transmissions and both are not good in auto mode although the GT-R is slightly better

I personally have had no issues with the GT-R but my M-6 was always in the shop with vanos problems, idrive CCC problems, parking brake problems, car would get stuck in lowered mode causing wheels to rub, door locks not working, parking brake problems etc etc.

GT-R is a VERY noisy car, lots of tire noise if you use runflats, flywheel is noisy, tranny is noisy.

M6 was quite until you have vanos issues

M6 had better interior with nice full leather and carbon. GT-R isn't bad but its not at the same level as the M6.

both have about the same trunk space and rear seat room.

GT-R is a pure 2+2 sports car and M6 is a GT 2+2

GT-R is cheap to mod and can be made stupid fast, 3k to make it a 10 sec car. THe fastest GT-R is 8.8 at 168mph i think.

Is there even a 10 sec M6? i know G-power (35k FI kit) is fast but its no drag car.

M6 is a pain to mod, not cheap for anything and i remember just a K&N filter causing CEL's, My M6 with intake ($700), Dinnan catback exhaust (2k), Dinnan tune (1k), UD pullies ($600) made 435rwhp on a dyno jet. That was 15rwhp over the stock base line dyno pull.

My Gtr with Cobb tuner ($1000), Midpipe ($500 used) and downpiep ($900) made 545awhp on a mustang dyno

in the 1/4 mile my best time in the M6 with mods was 12.2 @ 117, my gt-r was 11.6 @ 120 stock, i have not run it with mods.

hope that helps some

Last edited by Matrix; 12-11-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:56 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Now, with the v3.6 tunes $1.5k = 10sec GT-R (custom tune improves this, and adds an additional $400-600)

Old 12-12-2011, 05:09 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Good choice. I had a GT-R (2011) for 4 weeks and had lots of issues with rattling brakes - the dealership took it back the GT-R. I then bought my evt car. I am keeping an eye open for the 2013's. I have had my Z06 for almost 4 years now...I think the car is due for a refreshment...

OP...you know you have to post pictures, right?

Old 12-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by TAILWAG
Good choice. I had a GT-R (2011) for 4 weeks and had lots of issues with rattling brakes - the dealership took it back the GT-R. I then bought my evt car. I am keeping an eye open for the 2013's. I have had my Z06 for almost 4 years now...I think the car is due for a refreshment...

OP...you know you have to post pictures, right?
Rattling brakes?

My brakes rattle a little... Just like every other R35. It's stated in the manual, isn't it?

Old 12-13-2011, 04:08 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Rattling brakes?

My brakes rattle a little... Just like every other R35. It's stated in the manual, isn't it?
This rattle sounded like pebbles in a can...and they would be CONSTANT. They would only stop when you would apply the brakes. It got REALLY old. It was the first or the 2nd 2011 released. They send 2 guys from Nissan in Dallas and they could still not figure it out. I have driven other R35s and yes, there was a little bit of a rattling noise...but this sounded like you had 10 chihuahuas with braces eating kibbles and bits from a metal plate...and playing the drums while they were at it.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by TAILWAG
...but this sounded like you had 10 chihuahuas with braces eating kibbles and bits from a metal plate...and playing the drums while they were at it.
My goodness!!! What a horrible analogy.

I would have burned the car where it sat. 1 chihuahua is too much, much less one that eats... I'm not touching the drums.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:37 PM
ElementK is infamous around these parts
So you would take a GT-R over any //M?

Old 12-14-2011, 03:50 AM
mavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of light
Not sure many people on a car forum decide this way, but one factor for some people is brand and status/prestige. I know a lot of Asians and non-enthusiasts who would never buy a Nissan if they could afford a Porsche (or M-car) and would take a Boxster over a GT-R just because it is a Porsche. Most of the people I know in my industry (investment banking) who have a 911 - and I know a lot - are not enthusiasts at all and I would bet never knew before buying the car the engine was in the back. They probably still couldn't tell you how much horsepower their car makes unless they picked up the info to brag.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:13 AM
Originally Posted by mavila
Not sure many people on a car forum decide this way, but one factor for some people is brand and status/prestige. I know a lot of Asians and non-enthusiasts who would never buy a Nissan if they could afford a Porsche (or M-car) and would take a Boxster over a GT-R just because it is a Porsche. Most of the people I know in my industry (investment banking) who have a 911 - and I know a lot - are not enthusiasts at all and I would bet never knew before buying the car the engine was in the back. They probably still couldn't tell you how much horsepower their car makes unless they picked up the info to brag.
Yeah, I know those types too. I feel sorry for them, that a badge on a car can make feel better about themselves.

To me - a car built 40 years ago (like the PGC10 Skyline GT-R) doesn't make the R35 stereo sound any better, it doesn't make the car any faster, any more or less reliable, etc... It doesn't improve the warranty, add more 'soul' (whatever that means to each person, however different).

Just because cars years ago were unreliable, had poor mileage, severe maintenance issues, and can be outperformed by a current Toyota Camry, does not take anything away from a car made today, regardless of the badge.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:14 AM
Originally Posted by ElementK
So you would take a GT-R over any //M?
I did.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Hkpooh is infamous around these parts
M to GTR ?

All day long.
Unless you need a softer ride or leather for whatever reason.
Unless you need a BMW badge.

BTW OP I assume you talking about the GTR that was at universal autosport ? It an awsome looking car, I saw that one too!. GRATS!

Old 12-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Hkpooh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mavila
Oh yeah they are everywhere. Porsche badge or the title of Porsche owner doesn't worth 2 cents now. Porsche badge is no different than any bmw, audi or MB. They lowered themself to that level the moment they pump out boxter and that stupid SUV.

"I am a Porsche owner!! look at my Boxter!! my ghetto 911!! bling bling eh? "

Old 12-27-2011, 02:42 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Hkpooh
Oh yeah they are everywhere. Porsche badge or the title of Porsche owner doesn't worth 2 cents now. Porsche badge is no different than any bmw, audi or MB. They lowered themself to that level the moment they pump out boxter and that stupid SUV.

"I am a Porsche owner!! look at my Boxter!! my ghetto 911!! bling bling eh? "

For those they know, Porsche is the ultimate German car maker, far above Audi and above BMW. only top class Mercedes can compare them like SLS (not on performance though)
Buying a 10.000 boxter doesnt mean that 911 isnt prestigious (actually boxters offers great fun for their money)
As far as concern Cayenne, just joined my friends GTS: The car rocks!!!on sport mode it sound and performs incredible, combining luxury, comfort, unique street performance, no competitor.
About Panamera: Just take a look at Top Gear track time where demolished the supposed "fastest 4d on earth" Cadillac CTS-V even with 100 hp less.
Whatever comes out from Porsche factory is superb. No matter if is a plane, a car or a boat.
They have generally one common disadvantage which actually even makes them more unique: Affordability...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT-R or M6???